NextBase Cam Viewer

Bob Hawkins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise in advance if there is a more appropriate place for my post.
I downloaded and installed NextBase Cam Viewer from Google PlayStore last week before having a 412GW Dash Cam fitted to my car. I have used it once only, following my first journey. I was able to connect to my 'phone using Wi-Fi and view the recorded files successfully. I am concerned, somewhat, and mystified, certainly, to find it has consumed more than 500MB of data since its installation four days ago (Wi-Fi, fortunately, not mobile!). It seems to use 90MB each time, twice between 1800 and 2100 yesterday and 0600 and 0900 today, even.
I wonder the reason for the use of data and whether it should be occurring? I do not wish to uninstall the app, necessarily, but shall do so if such use of the data continues.
Screenshot_2019-04-09-12-14-50.png

That sounds to me like your phone is set to automatically upload data to the cloud - somehow.

I've had the app installed for my 380 and it's not used any data.

I'd look into that as a matter of urgency because dashcam data is huge.

Surely if you have your phone WiFi'd to the camera, you would expect data transfer showing in your WiFi usage? You are, after all, transferring (downloading) data from your dashcam (not your ISP) to your phone.
What's the network usage of 79.5k on the 7th?

I only realised last week that my phone had switched itself to auto upload photos under the pseudonym of 'sync'. I never set it so I suspect a recent upgrade turned it on. The video sync was still turned off.

My guess is still that the phone is auto syncing these large files to the cloud.

Wait and see I suppose.

Possible, but OP is only getting large WiFi data transfers K. And most of that has been download anyway. i.e. from cam to phone?

Kremmen and M8TJT
I thank you both for your replies.
As I stated in my opening post, I connected the dash cam to my 'phone once, only, to view the files for that day, Saturday, 6th, out of interest. I disconnected Wi-Fi between the dash cam and my 'phone shortly afterwards to return to my own router. I have not downloaded any files, whatsoever, nor connected the dash cam to my 'phone since. Surely, I am correct to believe that viewing the files, only, means they would not have been copied to my 'phone?
The 79.5KB in the GlassWare report refers to the total mobile data for the whole period, if read it correctly.

But by viewing the files, even if you didn't explicitly download them, still needs a data flow from the cam to your phone and as you had them connected by wifi, this data transfer will show up on the wifi data. Or am I still missing something?

So is this Wifi data between dashcam and phone that will not cost, or mobile data that could cost ?

OP says, and his pic shows that it's WiFi data, which will only cost if: a. It's from his ISP or b. He is data limited on his data connection, or c. his WiFi network connects to his ISP via (say) 4G.
If the data usage in the pic is only for the camera viewer, then I am at a loss to explain the Mobile Data used on the 7th.

M8TJT
Two points:
1. My concern has been the ongoing data consumption, not that consumed on the day of my Wi-Fi connection, which I understand. It seems to be a regular 90MB, the latest after 0600 this morning, even.
2. My reference to not having downloaded files was in response to Kremmen's thought about uploading to the Cloud.
Screenshot_2019-04-10-08-12-00.png
I had wondered, and partly the point of my post was, whether one or more of the unusually large number of permissions Cam Viewer requires had something to do with the regular data consumption.

1. Ah. Right. I've got it now.
2. My reply was as much towards K as it was you.
What permissions does it call for that you are suspicious about?
As to why, it's using the data, I give in.

M8TJT
There are seven permissions, as shown in the screenshot. I am quite ignorant so far as what any might do and because of that, I suppose, I wondered whether any could be the cause.
Screenshot_2019-04-10-09-31-41.png

Well, they look pretty innocuous to me. The only one that you might want to switch off is the "Run at Startup".
Switching this off will prevent it 'doing it's own thing' until you explicitly run it.
Not sure why it would need the top two though. You could always try switching them off and see if it breaks it, but I suppose it possibly needs position to centre the map at your location until it gets data from the camera/SD card. But I'm just guessing there.

M8TJT
Never having paid this much attention to permissions before, I conclude I must decline a particular one upon installation, as pressing any now does no more than display a description. I have uninstalled the app and shall reinstall: 1. to learn more about permissions and 2. to see whether the regular uploads no longer occur.
I thank you again for the time you have taken to try to help me.

You can set permissions from within Android. It depends on which version, but Google is your friend here.
You don't have to uninstall and re-install to do the permissions thing.

Just looked at my Cam Viewer permissions.

I only have 3 options:

Location - On
Storage - Off
Phone - Off

However:

I'm going to turn that mobile data off and see if it still works, next time I need it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190410-131833_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190410-131833_Settings.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4
Just looked at my Cam Viewer permissions.

I only have 3 options:

Location - On
Storage - Off
Phone - Off

However:

I'm going to turn that mobile data off and see if it still works, next time I need it.

wonder why all the background data usage though, I haven't tried their app, what functions does it offer aside from camera access, some sort of sharing function, GPS map info etc?

Interesting: I see from Kremmen's screenshot the 90.52MB is very similar to my own periodic Cam Viewer usage of which I have been writing. Perhaps this is the answer. I have uninstalled the app already, unfortunately. What is the path to 'DATA USAGE' should I choose to reinstall it?
Update: I believe I have found it in Settings>Data usage where I discover the first few apps I have selected have "Restrict app background data" "Disable background data on mobile networks" and all are switched off.
Screenshot_2019-04-10-14-16-33.png

Last edited:
That's it. I haven't used my cam for ages but it's still using data. Maybe Tiffany knows.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X 412GW 1
KeithChesterfield 412GW 3
J 412GW 22
D 412GW 7
G 412GW 2
Back