Nextbase cams not holding charge

Shortstuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having :)

I was using a Nextbase 512GW which I bought in Nov 2017 and had never had any issues with, but it started cutting out and the battery didn't seem to be holding charge at all. I tried bringing it indoors and charging to full but once back in the car, it was constantly turning off again so I replaced the charging cable in the car in case that was faulty as it seemed to work fine while on charge indoors, but still had the same issue.

So, I decided it must just need replacing and ordered a Nextbase 412GW as it was considerably cheaper than another 512GW and still suitable for my needs. This arrived four days ago and was fully charged indoors before use and at first seemed fine, but this morning it has started doing the exact same thing as the other cam as in constantly turning off / rebooting itself and saying the charger needs to be connected, but it is constantly connected, the charger lights are on, and the battery icon on the cam itself shows it is charging.

Is this maybe for some reason my car (battery?) just isn't providing enough charge for the cam, or... I don't know, can anyone help please?

Wwelcome to DCT @Shortstuff :)

Battery problems are endemic with Nextbase in short lifespan and in needing to be recharged in-house regularly. The battery can be replaced; you don't need a new cam. And the 412 should be covered under warranty. Nextbase used to have a factory rep here, but no longer so you'll need to phone them.

Phil

Wwelcome to DCT @Shortstuff :)

Battery problems are endemic with Nextbase in short lifespan and in needing to be recharged in-house regularly. The battery can be replaced; you don't need a new cam. And the 412 should be covered under warranty. Nextbase used to have a factory rep here, but no longer so you'll need to phone them.

Phil
Thanks Phil, I'm giving the 412 another good charge as it went flat again overnight just sitting doing nothing (I don't use parking sensors) but if that doesn't work, I'll get it exchanged (amazon purchase so easy done). I did look into changing the battery in the 512, but taking it apart and soldering it is a bit beyond me so had to be a new one.

So I returned the 412GW and ordered another, still the same issue. Plugged my original 512GW into a power pack instead of the car and it works perfectly so it's clearly a fault with my car not the cams. I'll run it on the power pack for now while I wait on my usual garage.

Are you using a HWK or a cigarette-lighter plug PS? Many modern cars have the ciggie lighter port on a delayed shutdown and will lose power some time after parking. If that's not it them probably a bad fuse, in which case you need to investigate why the fuse blew.

Phil

Are you using a HWK or a cigarette-lighter plug PS? Many modern cars have the ciggie lighter port on a delayed shutdown and will lose power some time after parking. If that's not it them probably a bad fuse, in which case you need to investigate why the fuse blew.

Phil

It's the cigarette lighter plug in, seems no power to it at all even though it lights up and acts as if charging.
Waiting on a call back from my garage, hopefully they can sort it.

If the indicator light on the plug comes on but the cam isn't charging, then either the PS has failed or there's a problem with the plug at the cam or the cable. These can be substituted with a generic USB adaptor and cable, but you'll want the better stuff. The cheaper/cheapest ones may not carry enough current to work the cam properly. If you can find one that supplies at least 1.5A (1500mA) and a all-copper cable (not "CCA") that should work just fine.

Phil

Test the camera by using a mobile phone brick. Car power sockets can be suspect.

Back