Nextbase DUO (Not HD Version) won't turn on after Firmware update.

sydc

Reaction score
Skirlaugh, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11 5DW.
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Nextbase DUO dash cam which will not turn on after a firmware update. I downloaded the correct firmware file (SPHOST.BRN) from the Nextbase web site and copied the file on to a blank formatted SD card. I then connected the dash cam to a spare computer USB port to power the unit up, onec powered up the sd card was inserted into the slot the FM screen was then displayed. I selected 'YES' and clicked the 'OK' button and the message 'Busy please wait' was displayed on the screen. After about 8 or 9 seconds the display went blank and the 'Busy' message disappeared. I then removed the SD card and attempted to turn on the dash cam, the dash cam would not power up the only illuminated LED was the blue charging indicator, dash cam now completely dead. Any help would be appreciated. SydC.

Welciome to DCT @sydc :)
Not familiar with this cam specifically, but normally most computer and in-car USB ports supply too little power for cam usage- especially firmware work where even a tiny point of low voltage can wreak havoc on the data transfer. Best to use an in-home phone charger to power cams during firmware work, or to do it in-car with the engine running to ensure ample power.

Try this all over again, but with a better power source and it will probably work out. If it doesn't you'll need to reflash the original firmware which should be available from Nextbase using a loader file.

Phil

And if that fails, phone nextbase support line. They seem to be pretty helpful.

Welciome to DCT @sydc :)
Not familiar with this cam specifically, but normally most computer and in-car USB ports supply too little power for cam usage- especially firmware work where even a tiny point of low voltage can wreak havoc on the data transfer. Best to use an in-home phone charger to power cams during firmware work, or to do it in-car with the engine running to ensure ample power.

Try this all over again, but with a better power source and it will probably work out. If it doesn't you'll need to reflash the original firmware which should be available from Nextbase using a loader file.

Phil
I spoke to Nextbase support and they said that due to the age of the unit they no longer have spares for the DUO and the firmware is no longer supported, only had the unit for three years, not very good support for their products.

Few dashcam companies or manufacturers have a supply of parts which are not expected to need replacement. Some may have a few cams hanging around the office which were used for testing or were RMA'd under warranty. If it's out of production expect them to have nothing. Sometimes firmware is treated similarly. It's par for the course with dashcams.

Sometimes you'll find a member or two here on DCT who has saved FW's or has them on their file-sharing channel. There's no single-point source for those; usually someone sees a member needing a FW then posts the link to it. Or you can dig through the forum for a specific cam to see if it's been shared.

Phil

I thought this might be helpful to readers of this thread. I have a Duo HD which was displaying the same issues (wouldn't power on although the blue light was on). Tried connecting to PC, using an external USB charger with the SD Card removed/inserted. Pressed the reset button in every scenario. Turns out the problem was the buttons below the screen (power, MODE, up, record, down, MENU, !). Some of these weren't clicking when pressed, so I got a sharp blade and gently prised behind them and then the Duo powered on. So it looks like one or more of the buttons were stuck down and were somehow preventing the unit powering on.

Back