Nextbase Duo - Parking Mode/Hardwire Question

JDB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve just purchased a Nextbase Duo, I've got a convertible and wanted rear view with a narrow angle lens (so as to get just the rear traffic not all the cabin), so it severely limited my options, as such I'm not totally happy with the Duo but hoping I can workaround/live with some of it's shortcomings.

First up, I have what I hope is a simple query on powering it for parking mode...

So I understand the camera has parking mode, and will start recording if it detects the vehicle has been jolted. What I can’t work out is how the power works for this.

The hardwire kit suggests using an ignition switched fuse-tap, so the camera will turn on/off with the car - fine - but then how is is powered in parking mode? From what I’ve seen the internal Li-on battery isn’t going to have the legs to do that for more than a few hours at best.

So then the question is, if I tap an always-on fuse, how does it know when to enter parking mode, and how does it protect my car battery from going flat?

Battery protection I guess could be built into the 12V>5V adaptor and cuts out at 11.8V or similar, but I can’t work out how the camera would know you’ve parked other than lack of movement for a few minutes?

Many thanks for any insights!

I am not familiar with this model of nextbase cam, but as you rightly say it needs to have a permanent live for park recording, as well as a switched live for driving recording, are you sure it hasn't been supplied mistakenly with the wrong lead, maybe go back to supplier or phone nextbase, they have always been very helpful when I have phoned them

The nextbase hardwire kit doesn't have a live and acc connection like other brands. I definitely have the right kit.

The back of the hardwire kit box says you can wire it to acc OR live (and in the latter case it has built in voltage protection but no way to set the cut off level). However if you connect it to live that leaves the question of how the camera knows to go to standby/parking mode (other than a lack of movement timer).

That's weird, as you say IF it goes into a parking/parked mode it would presumably be from from the GPS location not changing for some period of time I would have thought, maybe not a true/normal parking mode. I cannot see it lasting long if connected to acc as you say it would have to use internal battery, I know my thinkware F770 uses around 360ma in park mode, I would assume some where it says park mode only works if hardwired, it must use the GPS and as you say timer to determine parked or driving when GPS is changing.

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a Nextbase Duo, I've got a convertible and wanted rear view with a narrow angle lens (so as to get just the rear traffic not all the cabin), so it severely limited my options, as such I'm not totally happy with the Duo but hoping I can workaround/live with some of it's shortcomings.

First up, I have what I hope is a simple query on powering it for parking mode...

So I understand the camera has parking mode, and will start recording if it detects the vehicle has been jolted. What I can’t work out is how the power works for this.

The hardwire kit suggests using an ignition switched fuse-tap, so the camera will turn on/off with the car - fine - but then how is is powered in parking mode? From what I’ve seen the internal Li-on battery isn’t going to have the legs to do that for more than a few hours at best.

So then the question is, if I tap an always-on fuse, how does it know when to enter parking mode, and how does it protect my car battery from going flat?

Battery protection I guess could be built into the 12V>5V adaptor and cuts out at 11.8V or similar, but I can’t work out how the camera would know you’ve parked other than lack of movement for a few minutes?

Many thanks for any insights!

Hi @JDB

The parking mode feature utilises the battery life of the camera.

It has 30 minutes battery life inside, @tabetha is correct for the 402G and 512G models they DO need a permanent live but it is slightly different on the DUO.

The DUO needs an ignition live source, when the unit is off the g-sensor will sense an impact either left/right/forward/back and turn the unit on then recording for 30 seconds in protected mode and then switch off again.

The DUO battery is pretty robust from experience please fully charge it your home for at least 2 hours and it'll be fine. With 30 minutes of recording time on a full charge that is 60 impacts (I hope no car gets 60 impacts as its likely not going to be drive-able after that).

To rest your worries the hardwire kit has a protection unit to stop your car battery going flat, it will leave enough voltage to power the car and recharge your car battery.
Regards
Nextbase UK

Back