NextBase logo in new firmware in 412GW

Do you actually want the logo in your captures?

• Yes, I would like it to be there

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, no way

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • I don't mind if it's there

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
I haven't got v7.5 as a downloaded firmware !

But I'll double check later on the PC.

I know of 2 others who've used it successfully.

That's really odd. Mine was v9.5 when I bought it, then I downloaded and installed v12.4, decided I didn't like so used your dropbox one. On my system info page it now says v7.5 ............bizarre.

Stop Press ! Just re-booted it and it says v9.5 now. Thanks fella.

Just checked and as you say 9.5

It's incredible that we have to downgrade to obsolete versions just to get rid of the annoying Nextbase logo. I don't understand why they destroy their reputation by spaming the customers footages with an unwanted logo. Imagine Apple stated forcing a big Apple logo on all your iPhone images...

I am back on R9.5 until Nextbase gets rid of top left logo for good. Only thing I noticed and it bothers me slightly that file size for 3 minutes clips at same resolution is smaller than that of R12.4. Oh well! :confused:

I'm just waiting for the dual file option before changing from 9.5. The logo doesn't bother me that much.

Maybe nextbase receive money’s from insurance company’s if there footage is used

But ha ho as long as it does the job I’m not bothered Tiffany where’s my rear camera lol

I think they think they are smart by making all customers produce ads for them. Well it is not smart. It is a totally unacceptable practice. We pay for a camera to make our own clear footages - NOT to make ads for NextBase! I do NOT recommend people to buy NextBase as long as they FORCE their ads on all videos.

Reactions: Mtz
Does the 9.5 version work on 512gw as well? Just bought 2 cameras and I am shocked that its not possible to remove the logo. If the downgrade is not working I will return the cameras to store.

No do not put 412GW firmware on a 512GW it will completely brick the unit.

IT really dont matter. The camera is useless With logo anyway

We’re sorry to hear that you are frustrated by the use of the Nextbase logo in the corner of the videos, this is certainly not intended.

The logo being present helps us to recognise Nextbase footage when users upload it to YouTube etc., and then in some cases users give us permission to share the footage to highlight road safety issues – this is a good example of this

We are aware that a very small minority of people are annoyed by the fixed logo and it is something under review with our developers so we really appreciate your feedback and this will be passed onto the team.

The camera isn't useless and will still provide it purpose as an independent witness in the event of an incident.

We are aware that a very small minority of people are annoyed by the fixed logo and it is something under review with our developers so we really appreciate your feedback and this will be passed onto the team.
I see that nobody actually wants the logo. Nearly 3/4 of those that voted said no, and 1/4 don't cares. I would hardly call that 'a very small minority'. In fact, I would call it an overwhelming majority. Albeit a small sample, it should give you an idea of the opposition to it.
I suspect that amongst users in general, it is much more than 'a very small minority' that don't want it, but they just don't make their voice heard.

And bear in mind the title of the section which may not attract users not having the 412

We are coming out of the EU on a much smaller majority.

Just in case this makes any difference, just registered to say the following.

After trawling reviews and Youtube videos, I decided to order a 412GW via Amazon 30 minutes ago.

Just thought I'd check on here for latest firmware etc to get ready for when it arrives, only to find marketing have decided to enforce a totally unwanted/unnecessary logo on the footage. No thanks - totally unacceptable. If I want to view footage I'd get from my camera in my car I don't want to be forced into staring at your logo for no reason thanks.

I'm not going to stick to a downgraded firmware version to avoid this.

Ordered cancelled 10 minutes ago. Might be worth relaying to marketing this idea is not necessarily good for sales......

Have you voted for a No above then? If not, please do so.

Have you voted for a No above then? If not, please do so.

Yes I did.

I also looked at the firmware, which seems to be an eCos based OS, with very basic compression (BCL LZ77). For anyone that knows IDA there are strings such as hide_logo and show_show which comparing between the 2 firmwares should offer a solution to get rid of the logo in one way or another. Just make sure you know what you're doing or can at least return a bricked device :) Tempted to buy one just to reverse the firmware and give people some choice back.

I don't even have one of these and am still annoyed just by the principle of it :) Not a big deal to some that's fine but when people are downgrading to inferior versions of firmware to avoid it then you have a problem.

I worked in IT for 20 years so in fairness to the software dev team I have sympathy for them as it will have just come down from a meeting in which some marketing idiot pushed it on them. Optional logo is fine, but surely the model name hardcoded in the info line (which is already bad enough if not optional) would meet the purposes of letting people know on social media what camera you are using (which should be your choice anyway).

Not to mention the obtrusive logo is in a place that could obscure required video (think a close road sign only readable at that position, or a face on the near side). Crazy.

I also note on the official product page https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/412gw-dash-cam/ there is no logo shown. Nor of course in the original product review videos/articles done before the firmware enforced it which is also pretty misleading to prospective customers. Grrr.

I think judging by my reaction to this if I actually had one of these I would have exploded lol. Now I have to find a different product. No use looking at Nextbase even if the particular model doesn't have this issue as you can bet it will be forced on all in time.

OK cup of tea, and will look at an alternative product to buy.....

edit: sorry said encryption meant compression

Last edited:
Found the logo by the way and removed it. If there's any interest in trying it send me a PM. I don't have one of these devices so I can't test it myself.

Should be safe as no executable code is changed, and the bootloader is untouched (messing with that would be high risk of bricking the device).

Likely worst cases are a) firmware not accepted or b) have to reflash with stock firmware (using SD card not wirelessly).

I've worked with many firmware types for embedded devices over the years and have a considerable amount of experience, though this would be at your own risk.

If this post is against any rules feel free to delete/alter it.

edit: only 412gw 12.4 available for testing at present.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X 412GW 1
KeithChesterfield 412GW 3
Bob Hawkins 412GW 18
J 412GW 22
T 412GW 6
Back