Nextbase NBDVR122 showing only bits of trips

Alwyn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our daughter gave us the above last Christmas. After successfully fitting it to our car we didn’t touch it until we switched it to our second car ahead of a long trip.

We had a minor incident towards the end of our journey home. I eventually located the incident on the dashcam and downloaded it to my iMac.

In trying to locate it I went back to the earliest recording of the setting up in our driveway. I found lots of bits of journeys until I came to part of the file of the journey home. In all that file must have had at least an hour in it.

So my questions are:

Was it incorrectly set up or does it overwrite after it reaches its maximum capacity?
Why all these bits of journeys?
How important is it to update to the latest firmware?

The SD card is a Sandisk Ultra 32gb.

Last edited:
Hello Alwyn,

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.

We recommend formatting regularly to delete any old footage. Here's how to format on a 122:
On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings by pressing the MENU button twice
d) Scroll down and then click 'Format'
e) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.
It's crucial to format the SD card every two weeks to avoid any SD card failures.

We do recommend updating to the latest firmware whenever possible. Here's how to check your current version:
1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Stop it recording
3) Press the Menu Button Twice to enter the Setup Menu.
4) Scroll down to ‘System Info’
5) Look at the Firmware number RXX.XX
The latest version for the 122 is R06.2.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back