niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Side by side test to see night video recording sensitivity :
B40 / A114 vs Mobius B-lens vs Mini 0803 vs Panorama 2.

DISCLAIMER
Dashcameras participated in this side by side test were using firmware you see below.
NB! By the time you are reading this thread and watching video used here, developers of those dashcameras may have released a new improved firmwares.
Please refer to each developer sub-forum or website in order to see newer firmware release and their performance.

B40 Pano Mob 0803.jpg

Original file Download HERE

Top Left - B40 / A118. FW: B40.20140523.001, HDR On, ( 15Mbps )
Top Right - Panorama 2. FW: v1.12.03 ( 15Mbps )
Bottom Left - Mobius B-lens. FW: v1.17, 1080p-W, WDR On, 15Mbps
Bottom Right - Mini 0803. FW: 20140510V1.1, HDR On ( 15Mbps )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top - B40 / A118. FW: B40.20140523.001, HDR On, ( 15Mbps )
Bottom - Panorama 2. FW: v1.12.03 ( 15Mbps )

Top - Panorama 2. FW: v1.12.03 ( 15Mbps )
Bottom - Mini 0803. FW: 20140510V1.1, HDR On ( 15Mbps )

Top - B40 / A118. FW: B40.20140523.001, HDR On, ( 15Mbps )
Bottom - Mini 0803. FW: 20140510V1.1, HDR On ( 15Mbps )

INDIVIDUAL VIDEOS of each dashcamera

RAW / ORIGINAL FILES DOWNLOAD LINKS

- B40 / A118
- Mini 0803
- Mobius B-lens
- Panorama 2 / S

Side by Side Comparison SCREENSHOTS

Part 1. ( 17 screenshots )
Scenes where all 4 dashcams perform almost equally with no marginal differences.

Part 2. ( 28 screenshots )
Scenes where can see quite visible differences between dashcams

Top Left - B40 / A118. FW: B40.20140523.001, HDR On, ( 15Mbps )
Bottom Right - Mini 0803. FW: 20140510V1.1, HDR On ( 15Mbps )

P.S. - Panorama 2 angle is slightly shifted to the left. This is my primary dashcam and initially when mounting it I aligned it to get even FOV from Left A-pillar to the Right A-pillar.

Part 1.

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-12.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-21.jpg

Untitled-24.jpg

Untitled-25.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

Untitled-27.jpg

Untitled-28.jpg

Last edited:
Some video are "blocked in some countries". This is due to stupid YouTube audio-tracks policy.

Give me 1 hour. I will remove those songs, then you will be able to see those videos.

Thanks.

Some video are "blocked in some countries". This is due to stupid YouTube audio-tracks policy.

Give me 1 hour. I will remove those songs, then you will be able to see those videos.

Thanks.

Yeah at least YouTube offers an easy way to remove the music now.
Great Review

Last edited:
Great stuff niko, I really appreciate the time & effort you put into creating this work.

I downloaded the B40 Pano MobB 0803.avi file & studied it closely, frame by frame in places.

My order of preference, biased towards overall clarity & usefulness as evidence in an insurance claim, etc is...

1. Panorama
2. Mobius B
3. Mini 0803
4. A118

I think the Mobius B could have performed even better under v1.20 with 'Low-Light' enabled, though I recall you saying that you experienced flashing from street lights with 'Low-Light' enabled, a problem that doesn't seem to affect my Mobius B.

Another amazing piece of work Niko! Thanks so much for your efforts.

I really have to agree with Russ on his order of preference. And ultimate performance aside, the Mobius never fails to amaze considering its price point.

My order of preference, biased towards overall clarity & usefulness as evidence in an insurance claim, etc is...
1. Panorama
2. Mobius B
3. Mini 0803
4. A118

+1 For Panorama (Proven long term reliability, build quality, & very low defect rate)
If you're on a budget and don't mind some long term risk buying the lower-cost entry model cams go for it. (Mini has Fractured Factory & QA for example) Everyone needs a "Starter Cam" though :)

Great stuff niko, I really appreciate the time & effort you put into creating this work.

I downloaded the B40 Pano MobB 0803.avi file & studied it closely, frame by frame in places.

1. Panorama
2. Mobius B
3. Mini 0803
4. A118

I think the Mobius B could have performed even better under v1.20 with 'Low-Light' enabled, though I recall you saying that you experienced flashing from street lights with 'Low-Light' enabled, a problem that doesn't seem to affect my Mobius B.

I have done many tests involving those dashcams recently, but dont have time to analyze all of them. Will do step by step.

From what I can see, as per low light ( pitch dark ) performance / background and "in-the-shadow" details reading, then Pano comes first, then surprisingly 0803 does very good job, then Mobius just about behind it and last is B40. But of course all this is with FW and settings mentioned in this test and as wrote in Disclaimer. It's maybe too harsh to judge dashcam here, because they are from different price range and for sure comparison I am doing here is not valid in terms of price. Within each price range / form factor / performance etc., - they are all good. And all of them are constantly evolving.

Mobius has many ways of playing around with setting ( incl Low light ).
If in future I will have time, I will try Mobius Low-light option as well for side by side comparison.

Below are extreme conditions ( pitch dark ) where 0803 is recording slightly more ( not marginal ) background details than Mobius B - lens, but its with WDR ON ( no Low Light ) v1.17. Maybe with Low-light On it would do the same, - dont know, -have to test and only then to tell ;)

Untitled-16a.jpg

Untitled-18a.jpg

Untitled-19a.jpg

Untitled-36a.jpg

Last edited:
Am I imagining things, or does the Panorama have a slight blueish cast? Nonetheless, it seems to have much better low light performance than the others, though the Mobius comes a close second.

Hello @niko I am looking for raw footage that contains GPS information so that I can test the display of location on Maps when the footage is played on a RegistratorViewer or LukasViewer software.

I have checked your raw links posted in this thread and see they are all video files (mp4, avi, and mov). So before downloading them kindly tell me do they have GPS data? If not, would you be so kind as to share links that have raw files with GPS data?

Thanks

Möbius has no GPS, the others all have GPS data embedded assuming the function was turned on in each camera at the time, the Lucas software won't show it but Registrator Viewer works on all these

@jokiin thanks for the info. Do you have some raw footage with GPS info? I would like to try it out on RegistrationViewer to see how the GPS location info is played back on the map.

I am looking for raw footage from other GPS dashcams apart from the Lukas. I already have Lukas footage, but I just found out that Lukas footage shows GPS tracking only on LukasViewer, and not on the RegistrationViewer.

Registrator Viewer works but there's an updated version for this, the Windows version hasn't been released yet, mapping is accurate

So which one should I use? (Include download link or page please) @jokiin

Back