Night Time Prime

Nick Pa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I've been searching the depths of the interwebs for a good dashcam to meet my needs.

Primary: I work on a private installation that doesn't allow mounted cameras. I need one that can be easily removed.
Most of my driving is done in early morning or late evening, so night time quality is a priority.

Outside that, I'd prefer not to have GPS and to pay less than $200.

Thanks for your help!

I was looking at the zero edge zs and the falcon f170 but i read that the f170 wasn't the best for night time.

Look here.
If you can let the mount fixed into the car the most easy to remove dashcam is the A119S with GPS mount. The GPS mount is needed for you just to keep the charging cable inside the mount so when you will remove the camera it can be done very fast in 1-2 seconds. You can not record GPS data if you want and turn off the GPS Logging feature.
If you need a camera with suction cup or mirror mount because you can not stick anythin on the windshield you can think to G1W-S but right now I don't know how good is the Sony IMX323 CMOS at night because not tested yet.
The A119 advantage is because it is one of the most invisible dashcam on the market right now.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
The supplied mounts for any 'wedge cam' won't work for this member- he's not allowed a 'permanent' mount and everything needs to be easily removed and installed in other vehicles. Sure, you can get more mounting pads but that's not at all ideal.

The wedge cam manufacturers are losing customers when they have no offerings of a 'temporary' mounting solution for their cams and that's a shame because there are some really good wedge cams to be had at good prices.

Phil

I was thinking to that but not sure, so I was trying to offer him a solution with suction cup mount. Seems that the mirror mount is not an option for him too, so he needs to find a good dashcam in low light but with suction cup.
I think @viofo is preparing a suction cup for A119 too but I am not sure about this.

enjoy,
Mtz

That mount would be very nice to see happening. I like Viofo's general approach toward dashcams- he's filling a niche others have missed with improved sensors in proven good cams at affordable prices :) He's concentrating on providing us better IQ rather than added features and flashiness like others do ;)

Viofo is offering a G1W-S with a Sony sensor which might be a good fit for the OP as those are suction-cup mounted. I've seen only the promo vids but it is definitely looking better in low-light conditions there than the AR0330 equipped cams which are the usual in this price range. I hesitate to recommend it only because it is so new and hasn't had a wide "real world" bashing around yet like the A119 series has. If it follows Viofo's usual form it is going to be a very good cam for the money- I just can't say that for certain yet.

Phil

So I ended up going with the A119S and gave it a test run tonight... do I just need to clean my windshield? Also, it seems annoying that pretty low volume music still makes this thing shake pretty bad.

This would allow you to DIY attach any wedge dashcam via Suction cup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CYSHUG8
41vAokAD1aL.jpg

So I ended up going with the A119S and gave it a test run tonight... do I just need to clean my windshield? Also, it seems annoying that pretty low volume music still makes this thing shake pretty bad.

The included non-GPS mount will be probably be a lot tighter.

N6ZHRkD.png

(no quick release "slop" movement)

RHRZg17.png

Street Guardian SG9665GC is very tight with included EVA foam as well. (and has excellent night performance)

dS7ZpLJ.png

Yeah man clean that windshield for sure. Inside and out. I suggest using a magic eraser(the one with dawn) for the inside. It gets the oils off the windshield nicely. Then clean it with invisible glass. Also consider the CPL. I just got the 119s with the CPL and it performs very well.

Unfortunately the video shown IS with the non-GPS mount

Google "EVA Foam Pads for SG9665GC" and you'll see the pads for sale. Add some and it will help a great deal since the curvature of the glass pulls the mount away at the sides and creates a mini gap.
It's for the smaller mount of the SG9665GC. It won't be an exact fit on the A119/A119S mount but there are three pieces so you can adjust as needed.

585f2f3f1a667_390535b.jpg

Back