Night time screenshots...

RacingSnake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just interested in seeing other peoples screenshots.
I've not paid much attention really but other than the (heavy) macro-blocking, I've noticed I'm getting real pixilation/noise in the picture. (I'm using a 550)

I've dug out a pre-1.019 screenshot (it will have been on 1.017) and it has the same effect...
I did notice that the blueing seems to have been reduced...
this is the 1.017 shot:
video_screenshot_old.jpg

And this is the 1.019 shot:
video_screenshot.jpg

It's the noise that's a little concerning really - so whats everyone elses typical experience?

What is bit rate on your camera? Usually to improve night time video quality you need to increase bit rate on your camera.

There is no option to increase that just yet :( it's my number 1 complaint.
I'm surprised at the level of noise too, which feels more like light sensitivity than bitrate :|

I'm just interested in seeing other peoples screenshots.
I've not paid much attention really but other than the (heavy) macro-blocking, I've noticed I'm getting real pixilation/noise in the picture. (I'm using a 550)

I've dug out a pre-1.019 screenshot (it will have been on 1.017) and it has the same effect...
I did notice that the blueing seems to have been reduced...
this is the 1.017 shot:
View attachment 2359

And this is the 1.019 shot:
View attachment 2360

It's the noise that's a little concerning really - so whats everyone elses typical experience?

For honest / real comparison, shot should be made at the same time in same environment condition ( outside light, car speed, other cars moving towards you, etc ), another workd: side by side. There are many other factors that affect test. Usaully macro-block are caused by low bit-rate and in some cases even if bit-rate is high, then combination of bright light and dark objects at the same time ( at the same spot ) wehre CMOS sensor is struggling to find correct EV ? AWB depending on conditions.

Blueing reduced: it mean they probably worked on colour settings / filters ? ( hue, saturation, Contrast, Gamma, Sigma, film grain, etc. ) ?

Yes, I know what causes the macro blocking, it was the noise levels that were concerning me.

but for the avoidance of doubt, it would be completely impossible for mine to be same time/side by side. as I only have 1 unit! lol.

Clearly I'm not going to get any other experiences of how peoples cameras perform at night, so never mind.:rolleyes:

I know unless they were shot side by side it's never going to be a true representation, but for what it's worth here's a few screen shots of a clip taken around 8.30am in Berwick upon Tweed the other week, I'm just not sure how to get the grain/noise out of the files it produces

here's the file info from the captured footage
lw0m.png

and the clips
a8vs.jpg

z4bo.jpg

sfgv.jpg

Edited to add: just noticed yours is a DR550, mine were taken on a DR500 with Mio's up grade, so sorry if it's not a true comparison with a DR550

No, but actually very interesting, thanks!
I see you've still got a lot of noise in the images, but don't see any macoblocking at all, certainly makes it more useable with the noise.

My LS650W... if you're not interested only by DR550. For a <100$ camera it's fair enough.

vr9h.jpg

9kd7.jpg

9c88.jpg

More about the camera and raw video files... >>>here<<<

Wow, those night shots on the LS650w are crisp!

For a <$100 camera, I'd say that's bloody good!

Back