Night video has halos around lights and the glare from lights

wauu ! I have not seen that much blooming on a camera before, normally i just see what you also have just at the light source ( blooming ), but those streaks of light are massive.

It can to some degree be due to a dirty / ,moist windscreen maybe even lens, i am not aware if a lens can fail and cause that or maybe as i think jokiin say it could be a side effect of using a too cheap lens to build the product ( dashcam )
Before i got into dashcams, and back then i was a smoker too, my windscreen was only "cleaned" on the inside during winter, after i have gotten dashcams i clean much more often, and i am sort of amazed that i back then was able to see anything out my car window.

There is a scratch on the lens at right angles to the flare. A secondary fine scratch at a slightly different angle for the secondary flare. The scratches will add a bit to the halo, but the halo is probably mostly due to cheap plastic lens. You probably need a magnifying glass & the right light conditions to see the fine scratch.

video ^
the night video front has halos around lights and the glare from lights
is there any way to fix this? I have tried to update the software but still have this.
help, please?

To fix the camera you could install a different lens. If you are comfortable with DIY projects it is not too difficult.

There is a slight chance that this problem is caused by some issue with your windshield. I replaced a windshield in my truck that was full of tiny pock marks from wind driven sand that caused an effect similar to that but not quite so bad. It might be worth testing your camera outside your vehicle with some bright lights at night just to rule out that possibility. It wouldn't hurt to throughly clean your windshield inside and out just to see if it makes any difference in your results.

BTW, the correct technical term for the "starbursts" we are seeing in the sample image is not "halos" or "blooming "or" flares", it is "diffraction spikes".

Last edited:
it means the problem is in the lens
oh...
wauu ! I have not seen that much blooming on a camera before, normally i just see what you also have just at the light source ( blooming ), but those streaks of light are massive.

It can to some degree be due to a dirty / ,moist windscreen maybe even lens, i am not aware if a lens can fail and cause that or maybe as i think jokiin say it could be a side effect of using a too cheap lens to build the product ( dashcam )
Before i got into dashcams, and back then i was a smoker too, my windscreen was only "cleaned" on the inside during winter, after i have gotten dashcams i clean much more often, and i am sort of amazed that i back then was able to see anything out my car window.
Today I cleaned the vehicle, inside and out. I still have it
There is a scratch on the lens at right angles to the flare. A secondary fine scratch at a slightly different angle for the secondary flare. The scratches will add a bit to the halo, but the halo is probably mostly due to cheap plastic lens. You probably need a magnifying glass & the right light conditions to see the fine scratch.
hmmm I will check that
To fix the camera you could install a different lens. If you are comfortable with DIY projects it is not too difficult.

There is a slight chance that this problem is caused by some issue with your windshield. I replaced a windshield in my truck that was full of tiny pock marks from wind driven sand that caused an effect similar to that but not quite so bad. It might be worth testing your camera outside your vehicle with some bright lights at night just to rule out that possibility. It wouldn't hurt to throughly clean your windshield inside and out just to see if it makes any difference in your results.

BTW, the correct technical term for the "starbursts" we are seeing in the sample image is not "halos" or "blooming "or" flares", it is "diffraction spikes".
Sounds like an expensive and complicated thing to do mate.., preferring not to do that

Sounds like an expensive and complicated thing to do mate.., preferring not to do that
It's definitely not expensive at all. As for it being complicated, it really isn't. Many of us here on DCT have been swapping and replacing dash cam lenses for years. There are numerous threads here in the forum that explain how to do it.
And sometimes, dash cam lenses go out of focus so many simply open up their cameras and refocus them. The process of replacing the lens is not much of a stretch. They just screw into a lens barrel.

If it isn't for you, that's just fine. It was simply a suggestion considering how many here are more than happy to engage in DIY projects like that.

BTW, you should still consider cleaning your window and testing the camera outside your car with no glass in the way, unless you find that too complicated too.

It's definitely not expensive at all. As for it being complicated, it really isn't. Many of us here on DCT have been swapping and replacing dash cam lenses for years. There are numerous threads here in the forum that explain how to do it.
And sometimes, dash cam lenses go out of focus so many simply open up their cameras and refocus them. The process of replacing the lens is not much of a stretch. They just screw into a lens barrel.

If it isn't for you, that's just fine. It was simply a suggestion considering how many here are more than happy to engage in DIY projects like that.

BTW, you should still consider cleaning your window and testing the camera outside your car with no glass in the way, unless you find that too complicated too.
yeah I will do that.
By the way I contacted Vantrue support and ask about this...
they told me
" You can appropriately lower the exposure value in the setup(Record Setup>Exposure) or adjust the orientation of the camera. "

I will try it tomorrow and update if there is a change

It would not hurt to aim your camera a bit lower, so you have 10 CM or so of the front of the dashboard in the bottom of the footage.

did you solve this problem? have you tried to turn on WDR and adjust the exposure?

did you solve this problem? have you tried to turn on WDR and adjust the exposure?
I changed the exposure, it improved it quite a bit but I have to change it over and over again because during the day it looks different and at night it looks darker than usual
and what WDR was always on.
I tried to change the camera position but still experienced it... damn..
feelsbadman

I changed the exposure, it improved it quite a bit but I have to change it over and over again because during the day it looks different and at night it looks darker than usual
and what WDR was always on.
I tried to change the camera position but still experienced it... damn..
feelsbadman
would you mind sending me a short footage recorded at day time with the same exposure which improve the night time recording? If it is ok, please send to wendy.meng@vantrue.net I will forward it to our support team for review again

This thread just died. What happened to they daytime footage? Footage outside the car?
This should not happen.

Back