Night Vision + Dashcam ?

RIMD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Looking one
Thanks for replies to my postings.

I find some dashcam has night vision others don't.

Does night vision give better night footage?

Are there ways to improve night footage without night vision?

Thanks for sharing.

night vision is more of a marketing term than a technical one, some cameras work well in low light, some not so well

cameras with LED lights on the front that are often marketed as having night vision generally don't work very well at all

Night vision is problematic, even cctv cameras with dedicated night vision mode and a array of IR lights still have problems, not least if the object is moving at speed ( dont have to be driving speed )

The only way to really get it better is to have sensors much more light sensetive, so they dont have to drop to 1:30 second exposure timing to get bright usable footage.

But as it is now it seem like everything drop that low, even with a array of IR leds to flood what ever the camera is aimed at.

My own 1080P IP camera have outstanding night vision, but you will allso notice at night moths and what not flying by is heavely motion blurred.
But my car thats parked and not moving is crisp, and ppl walking past it ( at night with ir light on ) you really have to know them to recognize them in the footage.

I am hoping IMX291 cameras to come will be able to stick to 1:60 second, not that it will do wonders for anything moving at speed, but a exposure time 2 x faster gotta cut avay at least a little motion blur.

But its a long way to the 1:500 second exposure time you will need to have to have a chance of capturing somthing like a licenceplate at night.

Night vision as you see it on dashcams dont work, ir LEDs around the lens will just reflect off the inside of the windscreen and blind the camera, if they dont well then the 4 LEDs have a range to about the end of your cars hood, and they will be pretty weak all the way out there.

Last edited:
Back