Nikon announces a line of ruggedized action cameras

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
It is interesting to see Nikon enter the action cam market. It will be even more interesting to see what a camera maker of this caliber with their skill-sets in lenses, sensors, exposure metering, design and battery experience can do in this category.

http://nikon.com/news/2016/0919_action_01.htm

Three cameras were announced today, The KeyMission 380, a 360 degree 4K action camera with two lenses, the KeyMission 170 a more traditional action cam in the "GoPro" form factor with a 170-degree field of view — and an 8.3-megapixel CMOS sensor is capable of capturing 4K UHD footage. The camera is waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof up to 6.6 feet, and can handle temperatures as cold as 14 degrees Fahrenheit. (Nikon will also sell a waterproof housing for protecting the KeyMission 170 to depths of 131 feet.)and the KeyMission 80. It’s a tiny, lighter-sized device that features front- and rear-facing cameras. The front camera uses a 12-megapixel CMOS sensor, an f2.0 lens, and an 80-degree FOV, while the rear (selfie) camera has a 5-megapixel sensor and an f2.2 lens. The KeyMission 80 also has a 1.75-inch touchscreen LCD.

keymissions.png

The one I find most appealing is the 170. ($399.00) It does loop recording and has a standard tripod mount so it has some potential for use as a dash cam and it has a form factor that lends itself to more traditional handheld photography and video. I like that it has a large lens bezel and built-in lens shade and the camera basically looks cool with switches and buttons more like those seen on a tradition camera even though it is waterproof.

The camera comes with built-in capture modes, including slow motion, time-lapse, and loop modes. It also offers Nikon’s Highlight Tagging feature, which lets you mark certain clips as more important than others when the camera creates automatic movie montages, similar to what GoPro and Sony offer. With the SnapBridge 360/170 app, you can watch a live view video even while recording.

A remote is also included for wireless control of the camera. It has a Nikkor ⨍2.8 lens, 8.3 MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor capable of 4K UHD or 1080p Full HD video and has a built-in LCD (non-touch), stereo mic, a standard tripod socket and a the Nikon EN-EL12 battery. The camera is waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof up to 6.6 feet, and can handle temperatures as cold as 14 degrees Fahrenheit. (Nikon will also sell a waterproof housing for protecting the KeyMission 170 to depths of 131 feet.)

keymission_front.png

keymission_front2.jpg

keymission_back.jpg

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud... how hard would it be to fit a micro 4/3'rd sensor into a dash cam or action cam, with the larger sensor it would open up a world of possibilities in terms of overall video quality. With the size of some not so discreet cams on the market, I don't think these would get any bigger.

Thoughts... anyone..

Good to see the likes of Nikon taking on the action cam market, hope to see them delving into the dash cam scene too.

Just thinking aloud... how hard would it be to fit a micro 4/3'rd sensor into a dash cam or action cam, with the larger sensor it would open up a world of possibilities in terms of overall video quality. With the size of some not so discreet cams on the market, I don't think these would get any bigger.

Thoughts... anyone..

Good to see the likes of Nikon taking on the action cam market, hope to see them delving into the dash cam scene too.

I would agree. A four thirds sensor might be asking too much but perhaps a 1 inch sensor shoehorned into a dash cam could be a game changer. The camera and lens would have to be larger and would likely be more expensive but many of us would certainly pay a premium for that kind of increased performance.

Last edited:
I happily hang a dash cam the size of current mirrorless cameras (ok, probably a little smaller) as long as the video quality justifies the compromise.

Just as Gopro launch the 5 :D

Anyways cool, but i don't get they put a selfie camera on the little "80" camera, to me that's just a waste.

Just as Gopro launch the 5 :D

Anyways cool, but i don't get they put a selfie camera on the little "80" camera, to me that's just a waste.

Yeah, I was wondering if announcing the new Nikons on the same day as the GoPro 5 launch was a strategic decision or some sort of weird blunder.

You never know.

Just been looking at KeyMission 170 videos on youtube, it don't look bad i have to say, but i still fear a gopro 5 black at the same price is a better option.

Funny how they are all waterproof to 10 meters, sure most normal ppl will never go deeper, and i would not tie it to a fishing line along with a 0.5 kilo lure and then lower it to +100 M deep like i did with my TAG Heuer watch :D

You never know.

Just been looking at KeyMission 170 videos on youtube, it don't look bad i have to say, but i still fear a gopro 5 black at the same price is a better option.

Funny how they are all waterproof to 10 meters, sure most normal ppl will never go deeper, and i would not tie it to a fishing line along with a 0.5 kilo lure and then lower it to +100 M deep like i did with my TAG Heuer watch :D

I think 10 meters under water is about average for a camera without a pressure proof case. As far as GoPro 5 looking better I wouldn't dismiss a company like Nikon quite so fast. They have generations of experience and expertise along with vertical manufacturing capabilities in just about every area of camera production GoPro just can't touch. For example no company on earth including Canon has ever been able to top their Matrix Metering technology and they produce some of the best lenses in the business.

Last edited:
No argument from here, though my collection of SLR cameras seem to have more Canon cameras in it, its just buy luck as that was what ppl offered me for cheap in exchange for something i had back then.

And the only Dslr i have is a Nikon, a small/mid range one, and surely not fitted with the good Nikon lenses, but never the less it work fine for my current needs.

Canon makes some fantastic SLRs too. In many ways the difference between Nikons and Canons is that they excel in different areas. That's why you see mostly Canons at sporting events but often see Nikons used in illustration and studio work.

If they build these to their usual quality (best) we should see some amazing vid IQ's. But in the same vein this is not going to be cams everybody can afford. Sad that GoPro took the headlines but whatever; Nikon will sell and if as good as they should be they cruise past the competition anyway.

Phil

KeyMission 170 temperature: -10°C to +40°C (14°F to 104°F) for land use.

KeyMission 170 temperature: -10°C to +40°C (14°F to 104°F) for land use.
only 40c/104f? then i wouldn't be able to use it outside most days here.

today's high temp is lower because it rained.

upload_2016-9-20_17-6-37.png

102F is the current temp as of 5:05pm. 95 was the forecast high for today.

Yeah, it would be hard to use it as an action cam on a sunny day without exceeding temp spec.

it's weird though... it's actually been cooling down at night recently - if it wasn't for the mosquitoes, it'd actually be nice to go outside in the evening.

has the a/c been working right at the airport? last few times i've been (at both Hobby and IAH actually), it was pretty weak, even in winter. yeah, we still need a/c in the "winter" here...

it's weird though... it's actually been cooling down at night recently - if it wasn't for the mosquitoes, it'd actually be nice to go outside in the evening.

has the a/c been working right at the airport? last few times i've been (at both Hobby and IAH actually), it was pretty weak, even in winter. yeah, we still need a/c in the "winter" here...
I mainly use IAH and have not found it to be as comfortable as expected. I just attributed it to the Texas heat and size of the airport. Weak A/C would explain a lot.

You guys make a good point about the temperature specs on the Nikon KeyMission 170. So, it prompted me to check on the temperature tolerances of the GoPro Hero 5 (and other models) and it seems that GoPro conveniently doesn't mention this spec.

I'm guessing that the Nikon and the GoPro temperature tolerances may be in a similar range. Under the circumstances, I applaud Nikon for publish the specification.

Anybody know the temp specs on the Git2?

You guys make a good point about the temperature specs on the Nikon KeyMission 170. So, it prompted me to check on the temperature tolerances of the GoPro Hero 5 (and other models) and it seems that GoPro conveniently doesn't mention this spec.

I'm guessing that the Nikon and the GoPro temperature tolerances may be in a similar range. Under the circumstances, I applaud Nikon for publish the specification.

Anybody know the temp specs on the Git2?
I think the GitUp cameras can handle 0-60c but not certain. Probably on their site.

Back