No Accessory Fuse to Tap Into?

d30f2n

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm kinda in a weird situation...
I ordered a Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO along with the SGGCX2PRO Hardwire Kit so I can use the parking mode.
I did some research and it seems like people are tapping either to power windows or accessory fuse. However in my car, it seems like everything stays hot even when the car is completely off...
Looking at my car's manual: 2019 Mazda3 Sedan
I've tested each fuse (except the 30A ones) and all of them read 12V. I would love to tap into the power windows but 1. those are rated for 30A and 2. I don't think they even have those types of fuse taps. I even tried the moonroof fuse which I know FOR SURE that they don't operate with no ignition, yet still reads 12V.
Furthermore, the accessory sockets and USB ports stay hot whether the ignition is on or off.

Is there any solution to this? Even if I didn't want parking mode I still require an accessory plug or tap or else the dashcam would stay on and kill my battery.

If any kind soul would like to dig deeper into my car's user manual, you can get it from here.

I did some research and it seems like people are tapping either to power windows or accessory fuse. However in my car, it seems like everything stays hot even when the car is completely off...
I've tested each fuse (except the 30A ones) and all of them read 12V. I would love to tap into the power windows but 1. those are rated for 30A and 2. I don't think they even have those types of fuse taps. I even tried the moonroof fuse which I know FOR SURE that they don't operate with no ignition, yet still reads 12V.

Hi,

It's not unusual. Some circuits are powered ON even when car is off and equipment connected to this fuse do not operate while car is switched off. How it is possible? Those circuits are cut-off "after" fuse box while car stops, or are constantly powered and only controls are inactive.

My suggestion is to check all fuse holes, including empty ones and 30A fuses. In my two installations (Infiniti Q50 and Honda CR-V) I taped in to empty fuse holes (for ACC power). In Honda CR-V I taped constant power in to power window circuit.

Last edited:
Hi,

It's not unusual. Some circuits are powered ON even when car is off and equipment connected to this fuse do not operate while car is switched off. How it is possible? Those circuits are cut-off "after" fuse box while car stops, or are constantly powered and only controls are inactive.

My suggestion is to check all fuse holes, including empty ones and 30A fuses. In my two installations (Infiniti Q50 and Honda CR-V) I taped in to empty fuse holes (for ACC power). In Honda CR-V I taped constant power in to power window circuit.

Ah alright that makes a lot of sense now. I didn't probe the empty slots. If I tap into an empty slot, what fuse should I use?

Thanks for looking into this for me

In case of using empty fuse slot, only upper slot in bypass should contain fuse:
View attachment 45743

I think that 5A fuse for camera will be OK.

Alright so I realized that after 5-10 minutes the USB port powers off, but the 12v socket stays hot. I rechecked all the interior fuses including the empty ones after the USB powered off and they were all still hot...

The accessory fuse is located in the engine compartment fuse box which makes things even more annoying.

At least now I know if I plug into The USB port it won't drain my battery. I'd still love to see if there's a way to add parking mode though

Alright so I realized that after 5-10 minutes the USB port powers off, but the 12v socket stays hot. I rechecked all the interior fuses including the empty ones after the USB powered off and they were all still hot...

The accessory fuse is located in the engine compartment fuse box which makes things even more annoying.

At least now I know if I plug into The USB port it won't drain my battery. I'd still love to see if there's a way to add parking mode though

Did you check those circuits after locking the doors?
In Honda some circuits are cut of after locking the doors - it's battery discharge protection:

Did you check those circuits after locking the doors?
In Honda some circuits are cut of after locking the doors - it's battery discharge protection:
Yeah, I locked the doors and waited until the USB slots lost power to test the fuses (my god it was a pain to do with the doors closed) and they stayed hot. The fuse to the USB slots are in the exterior fuse box unfortunately. I didn't get around to testing those out because I'm still questioning if it's worth the effort to tunnel through the firewall for parking mode

I didn't get around to testing those out because I'm still questioning if it's worth the effort to tunnel through the firewall for parking mode

When you will be sure that all circuits remain powered when cur is off, you can consider 2-wire hardwire kit.

When you will be sure that all circuits remain powered when cur is off, you can consider 2-wire hardwire kit.
I don't think a 2-wire hardware kit would help since I'd still need an accessory fuse, which is located in the exterior fuse box

I don't think a 2-wire hardware kit would help since I'd still need an accessory fuse, which is located in the exterior fuse box

2-wire hardware kit should be connected only to constant power (BAT+) and ground (GND-).
In this case, parking mode is switched basing on G-sensor / GPS.

Last edited:
2-wire hardware kit should be connected only to constant power (BAT+0) and ground (GND-).
In this case, parking mode is switched basing on G-sensor / GPS.
Ohhh I did not realize there's another parking mode... mode haha yeah that seems to be the best option then. Thanks for all your help man!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work. I got a dashcam that ran on USB power so it'd shut off after five mins or so. If you still want to do it, I really think the only way is to wire it through the firewall to the exterior fuse box. It's the only fuse I tested that turns off when the car is off.

So I'm kinda in a weird situation...
I ordered a Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO along with the SGGCX2PRO Hardwire Kit so I can use the parking mode.
Furthermore, the accessory sockets and USB ports stay hot whether the ignition is on or off.

Is there any solution to this? Even if I didn't want parking mode I still require an accessory plug or tap or else the dashcam would stay on and kill my battery.

If any kind soul would like to dig deeper into my car's user manual, you can get it from here.

If you get stuck or unshore of yourself, Best Buy (Geek Squad) will do it for $50.00 or so and it would be guaranteed for life.

Back