No driving recording, no GPS

kalzan

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

I have my A119 mini connected to blackvue battery pack in exactly the same way as I had with A119 V3, A129 and A139 but the following issue only occurs with the A119 mini. Also tested with cellink battery pack unfortunately with the same result.

1. Engine on, A119 mini powered on via GPS module - everything works as expected.
2. Engine off, no movement, camera goes into the parking mode (event detection) - everything works as expected.
3. Engine on again, driving for more than 30 mins - camera still on the parking mode (has not switched to the regular recording), display shows "No GPS". When I disconnect and connect the camera again while driving, it suddenly gets GPS signal and switches to regular driving mode/recording.

My first thought was GPS unit is damaged so I ordered another A119 mini but ended up with exactly the same issue.
Tested multiple times within the last week with two firmwares: 1.1_0817 and V1.1_0902 V1.1_0919

Last edited:
I'm not experiencing that problem. I'm using low bitrate parking mode. One thing you can test to see if it is participating in the problem you're experiencing, use the firmware settings menu on the A119 Mini and change the "Disable GPS in Parking Mode" from "On" to "Off". It's worth a test to see if it changes and/or fixes the problem you're experiencing.

That setting was recently added to the A119 Mini firmware when VIOFO added the firmware feature to turn off the GPS module while in parking mode. There might be a bug related to that feature not reported yet. The "Disable GPS in Parking Mode" setting is not present (yet) in the VIOFO app, so you must use the firmware settings menu on the A119 Mini to change the setting value.

This is the disappearance of the speed stamp on the video and the GPS signal. This problem was present on firmware V1.0.20220621 and was noticed by many people. The GPS signal can be kept during the trip for an hour without disappearing, then it starts to disappear in almost every minute video for 8-9 seconds. This was reported directly to Viofo, as well as via a ticket.
An example of the disappearance of the speed stamp from 03 to 11 seconds.

This is the disappearance of the speed stamp on the video and the GPS signal. This problem was present on firmware V1.0.20220621 and was noticed by many people. The GPS signal can be kept during the trip for an hour without disappearing, then it starts to disappear in almost every minute video for 8-9 seconds. This was reported directly to Viofo, as well as via a ticket.
An example of the disappearance of the speed stamp from 03 to 11 seconds.
Thanks for your input although my problem is more than just disappearing of stamps but rather low-res parking recording while driving instead of high bitrate as set (dashcam not switching from parking to driving).

Thanks for your input although my problem is more than just disappearing of stamps but rather low-res parking recording while driving instead of high bitrate as set (dashcam not switching from parking to driving).
If there is no signal from the GPS module, then there will be no switching from parking mode to normal recording.

If I'm wrong, the experts will correct me. :unsure:

I'm not experiencing that problem. I'm using low bitrate parking mode. One thing you can test to see if it is participating in the problem you're experiencing, use the firmware settings menu on the A119 Mini and change the "Disable GPS in Parking Mode" from "On" to "Off". It's worth a test to see if it changes and/or fixes the problem you're experiencing.

That setting was recently added to the A119 Mini firmware when VIOFO added the firmware feature to turn off the GPS module while in parking mode. There might be a bug related to that feature not reported yet. The "Disable GPS in Parking Mode" setting is not present (yet) in the VIOFO app, so you must use the firmware settings menu on the A119 Mini to change the setting value.
Just tried to turn off the option you mentioned and it works!
Seems like a software bug. Thanks for the tip!

Just tried to turn off the option you mentioned and it works!
Seems like a software bug. Thanks for the tip!
I'm glad it's working for you now. One thing I did not mention is that I'm using the HK4 hardwire kit to power my A119 Mini dash cameras. I assumed you were also using the HK4 to power the A119 Mini since you mentioned using dash camera battery packs to power the A119 Mini. I've not tested using parking mode without the HK4 powering the A119 Mini since VIOFO recommends using the HK4 for parking mode recording.

I'm glad it's working for you now. One thing I did not mention is that I'm using the HK4 hardwire kit to power my A119 Mini dash cameras. I assumed you were also using the HK4 to power the A119 Mini since you mentioned using dash camera battery packs to power the A119 Mini. I've not tested using parking mode without the HK4 powering the A119 Mini since VIOFO recommends using the HK4 for parking mode recording.
No, I'm using it without HK4 and directly connected to my Blackvue B-124X battery which has been working flawlessly with all my Viofo and Vantrue dashcams over the last few years until I encountered the problem I described above.

Back