No GPS Speed Stamp in Video

mdof2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the B40 / 118 dash cam which I've been using for a couple months. I've recently purchased what was recommended as the external GPS module. Connect it, turn on GPS in the firmware on the camera and it recognizes the the GPS on the screen on the dash cam itself. It however does not show the GPS (speed) in the video. The video time / date stamp works, however no speed.

Any ideas?
I've tinkered with the settings, reset, plug, unplug, etc. to no avail.

Appreciate any tips or recommendations.

Hello,
There is no way to have GPS speed overlay on this dashcam.
Use Registrator Viewer to add text speed subtitles on your video

Appreciate the info. Makes me wonder what the point of the GPS is then?
How is Registrator Viewer able to show speed / gps info unless that info is stored in the MOV video file that is created?
New territory to me so apologies if this has been covered before.

Scratch that. I've read up on the Registrator Viewer site as see that it's a separate file the GPS info is stored in.
Thanks, and appreciate the point in the right direction.

Scratch that. I've read up on the Registrator Viewer site as see that it's a separate file the GPS info is stored in.
Thanks, and appreciate the point in the right direction.

it's embedded in the MOV file, not stored in a separate file

Yep. Got it. Figured that part out. Thank you for confirmation.
Would there be any particular reason the GPS signal drops intermittently or is this simply beauty of the beast for an entry level dash cam?
Cloudy day, no visible / over head obstructions, etc.

A5cyL40.jpg

Cam is on the RHS of the rear view mirror. GSP is on the other side. Clear view on the glass above it.

Yes. Stuck to the window.

So sticky side to the windshield is the wrong way?

I'll tinker with the mounting or location. Perhaps this one likes to be facing the other way with the sticky side down towards the car / dash.
Thank you again for the input and such. Much appreciated.

I'll tinker with the mounting or location. Perhaps this one likes to be facing the other way with the sticky side down towards the car / dash.
Thank you again for the input and such. Much appreciated.

your results would suggest you have it mounted the wrong way up

So should the sticky tape be to the sky, or the cover that says "GPS" be pointing to the sky (as if the GPS were sitting flat on the dash? )
((I have the "GPS" pointing to the dash, red / tape side to the windshield))

1hXhWxp.png

these are typically mean to be mounted with the logo pointing to the sky, that is the default for this type of GPS

Thanks again for the input. I'll try mounting it the other way and see if the results are different.
Thank you again for the input and feedback.

As a follow up, after a couple 8 minutes trips, it seems that this GPS sensor wants the adhesive tape side down (to the dash) and the "GPS" covered plastic side to the sky. Seems backwards, but it is what it is.
Quick little bracket off the 3D printer, and I'm good to go for the long run. Again, thanks for the help.

Back