No GPS

newton45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed dashcam in Mokka Elite. No problems in previous vehicle, but slow to boot and no GPS in the Mokka. Camera was mounted underneath rear view mirror.
I found (by accident), that locating the camera a few inches away from the mirror solved the problem. I have concluded that electronics within the plastic shroud of the mirror must somehow interfere with the F770.
The mirror is autodipping & the shroud contains rain sensor, lane departure etc.
Is this likely? Has anyone come across anything similar?

Never come across that before on a model without a heated front windscreen (doubt a Vauxhall would have that, usually Ford, Jag & Landrover) it is possible something in there is leaking a bit of interference. Does the vehicle have a Radar for Emergency Braking do you know? I know on a Volvo the radar is also in that housing and Volvo recommend not fitting anything within about 15cm of it.

Thanks for the reply. No radar on the Mokka (it's only a Vauxhall!). It does have forward collision avoidance though.
I also have discovered that the F770 causes the DAB radio to lose signal. Switch off the dashcam & radio signal returns. I have tried ferrite ring on the power lead of the F770, but no real improvement.
This is the 3rd car I have transferred the F770 to and no problems - until now.
Must be a Vauxhall problem.

Is it a 2 channel F770?

Yes. And like I say, has been in 2 previous cars, without any problems. Just doesn't seem to like the Vauxhall, for some reason. Must be to do with spurious emissions from the Vauxhall, but also some radiation from the F770 to interfere with the DAB radio.
Looking for a replacement (dashcam, not car)

Further experiments. If I unplug rear camera, DAB reception is restored. I wouldn't have thought a low level analogue video signal would have any effect on DAB signal, but clearly it does.
Also hasn't affected the slow to boot & no GPS. Obviously with no GPS I do not get speed camera warnings. I either have to live with resiting the F770 away from rear view mirror, or look for a replacement dashcam. But splashing out £200 or so, I might find myself with the same problem.
It's clearly a Vauxhall problem for not shielding cables prone to spurious emissions.

2 channel systems are often problematic in regard to new cars with DAB / SAT radio on them, you be wise to do a temporary run of the wire to the rear camera, cuz you might well want to move it if you have interference.
And not much sense in shopping for a low emissions system, cuz i dont think any of us will be able to say what system is that VS other systems.

I have no idea of something could be done to the cars own wires in this regard, it will probably also be far more work than most people are willing to do, or pay someone to do.

Try the Ferrite Core on the Rear Camera Cable near to the rear camera itself it may help the DAB. Dashcams (pretty much all makes) can cause this sometimes. If you have the 'Shark Fin' style DAB antenna on the roof at the rear you may find if you can mount the rear camera down the bottom of the rear window may well help (if that's possible).

Thinkware have worked hard to try and eliminate any interference and on new models like the T700, F790, F200 Pro i think Interference would be very unlikely as they have improved the design.

It will be the CMOS sensor in the rear camera that is affecting your DAB reception, location (and type) of the antenna is likely playing a part also

Maybe someone should make DAB proof rear cameras in a metal housing ?

2 channel systems are often problematic in regard to new cars with DAB / SAT radio on them, you be wise to do a temporary run of the wire to the rear camera, cuz you might well want to move it if you have interference.
And not much sense in shopping for a low emissions system, cuz i dont think any of us will be able to say what system is that VS other systems.

I have no idea of something could be done to the cars own wires in this regard, it will probably also be far more work than most people are willing to do, or pay someone to do.
I am sure that by re-routing rear cam cable away from the aerial cable I can overcome loss of DAB signal.
The real problem is having to site the camera a good 15-20cms away from the rear mirror in order to restore boot up problems & no GPS signal. From appearance point of view, not really acceptable.
Rethink time.
Maybe try a different cam from Amazon, I can return if still problematic.

Some cameras like jokiin make have the GPS antenna on a wire, so easy to have it some ways from the camera, and it can even go all the way down on the dash if need be ( probably need to extend wire then )
And of course since it is GPS antennas made for windscreen mount, if you stick it to the dash it will be upside down, so probably need to flip the internals, which i assume can still be done ??

I have obtained two ferrite cores to use on the rear camera lead (which includes power) to see if it will stop interference with the cars GPS aerial.
As the latter is under the front dash, do I need to use the ferrite cores at either end of the cable, or might I get an acceptable solution only using one core at the front windscreen end?
TIA.

Back