No GPS

jontyhorn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

bought a nextbase 422 and have it hardwired. Everything working apart from the GPS. I’m not getting any speed or gps showing on my recordings even though the option is turned on. Any help?

Hello,

There's a couple of things to check.

1. Is the 422GW attached to the GPS mount?

2. Is the power cable plugged into the GPS mount (and not directly into the port on the top of the camera)?

3. Is the 422GW on firmware version R19.1?
A) Turn the Dash Cam on
B) Ensure it is not recording (by pressing the red circle if required)
C) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
D) Go into Setup settings
E) Scroll across to ‘System Info’
F) Look at the Firmware number RXX.XX.

4. Does the GPS icon show on the camera's screen and what colour is it?

5. Have you tried viewing the footage using the MyNextbase Player app?

6. Please perform a GPS test:

A) Bring the camera into the house. Attach the GPS mount to an external facing window so that it has a clear view of the sky.
B) Plug the camera in using the USB cable. Ensure the USB cable goes directly into the mount, and not into the camera. Ensure the Blue LED is illuminated and that the cam is receiving power.
C) Wait for 10 minutes. Do you see a GPS icon in the bottom right of the camera? What colour is the icon?

If you could let me know the answers to all of the above, I'll be able to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

2. Is the power cable plugged into the GPS mount (and not directly into the port on the top of the camera)?

A) Turn the Dash Cam on

A) Bring the camera into the house. Attach the GPS mount to an external facing window so that it has a clear view of the sky.
B) Plug the camera in using the USB cable. Ensure the USB cable goes directly into the mount, and not into the camera. Ensure the Blue LED is illuminated and that the cam is receiving power.
C) Wait for 10 minutes. Do you see a GPS icon in the bottom right of the camera? What colour is the icon?

If you could let me know the answers to all of the above, I'll be able to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,
Millie

Hello,

A) Turn the Dash Cam on

Thanks,
Millie

Hi thanks for the reply.

1) yes it is attached to a mount
2 yes it is plugged into the mount not the camera
3) yes the firmware is 19.1
4) no it doesn’t show unless the camera is pointing up at the sky
5) yes the footage says no gps data
6) I performed the test and I got a white icon.

That sounds like there is something very close to the cam when it's tilted vertically and the pointing to the sky is moving the GPS sensor out of range of whatever it is ?

I guess your problem is that the mount is now fixed to the windscreen so taking the whole shooting match indoors is difficult.

Hi thanks for the reply.

1) yes it is attached to a mount
2 yes it is plugged into the mount not the camera
3) yes the firmware is 19.1
4) no it doesn’t show unless the camera is pointing up at the sky
5) yes the footage says no gps data
6) I performed the test and I got a white icon.

Hi,

So your setup is correct and as the camera is receiving full GPS signal during the GPS test, this would suggest there's a GPS blocker in the area of your windscreen where the camera is currently installed.

I'd recommend using the suction mount to move the position of the GPS mount and camera on the windscreen. There should be an area of windscreen close by that will allow the GPS to function correctly.

If you're currently using the adhesive mount, once you've found a suitable location using the suction mount, you can use the spare pad from the box to move the adhesive bracket.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back