No idea what to get, dashcam for smaller car

Christoki

Reaction score
Country
United States
So this is my first time getting a dash cam and I have no clue what I should be getting, so hopefully some experienced people here can help me out.

I drive a smaller car, a Chevy Sonic, and would like a dash cam that's more on the discrete side. If it's able to be controlled via my phone, I would consider it. If it matters, my car is bluetooth enabled.

Where I live, I'm forced to take the highway daily so I guess I'll need something that's not sensitive to me going 60mph. Or something for an experienced person, as this will be my first.

I mostly need it because I drive on the highway almost every time I need to go somewhere, or everyday I'm working because I work on the airport, and realized Minneapolis drivers are something else. Pedestrians too! So I really think I need this more for my sake than anything. So I can prove I didn't see the idiot who decided to suddenly run out onto the street and think they can beat a car going 45 at night -_- (literally happened a few days back, thankfully this special idiot had enough sense to stop).

Read lots and view lots of footage from youtube etc take a little time to get what's right for you, consider front/rear cam and I bought a thinkware product and have not looked back so reliable and that's the key imo

I'll look on YouTube then and see what I can find.

1200kg, 4,4 meters
Nope that's not smaller.

Where I'm at, in the US, this car is a subcompact and quite small, but I'm fine with it considering I'm 5'6 and don't have long legs.

I'm 6'1 ;)
IdIH8WO.jpg

And JC fit in that with his 6'5

That would make my Suzuki a micro car, though here in EU ville there are several cars that's even smaller.
But i also call my car a motorized lunch box, but its fine for making sure my 6 foot 2 inch dont have to move around too much on its own power.

For the most what dictate the options for making a discreet install ( aside for camera form factor ) are what the windscreen look like.
If you like me have a dotted area in front of the rear view mirror, then the wedge shaped cameras are a good option, they do have a "large" footprint, but when 2/3 of that are up on the dotted area it dont matter, and what peek out below the dotted area will be smaller than the size of one of those old plastic containers for a 35 mm film.

That way a wedge camera often come off as a factory rain sensor or something similar stupid car makers put on windscreens today.

O and welcome to the party.

Last edited:
And JC fit in that with his 6'5
And IIRC he drove it onto an elevator (lift) then through an office :p Would seriously love to have one for parade and car show fun, but not to actually drive on the roads here.

Phil

So this is my first time getting a dash cam and I have no clue what I should be getting, so hopefully some experienced people here can help me out.

I drive a smaller car, a Chevy Sonic, and would like a dash cam that's more on the discrete side. If it's able to be controlled via my phone, I would consider it. If it matters, my car is bluetooth enabled.

Where I live, I'm forced to take the highway daily so I guess I'll need something that's not sensitive to me going 60mph. Or something for an experienced person, as this will be my first.

I mostly need it because I drive on the highway almost every time I need to go somewhere, or everyday I'm working because I work on the airport, and realized Minneapolis drivers are something else. Pedestrians too! So I really think I need this more for my sake than anything. So I can prove I didn't see the idiot who decided to suddenly run out onto the street and think they can beat a car going 45 at night -_- (literally happened a few days back, thankfully this special idiot had enough sense to stop).

Most dashcams can be installed in your Sonic. Just depends on how discrete you want and your budget.

Back