No live view !!!

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 2CH 622GW/Nextbase 422GW/Thinkware F200 2 CH Pro
I just cannot get a live view connection on this Dashcam via the app on my Google Pixel 5.

Just keeps spinning....is there a issue with this ?

It's connected via Bluetooth fine.

I have bought one of these as a test, as a possible changeover option for both my cars and so far, it's not looking good.

Dont you have to connect via wifi to get streaming ?

Probably, but that's not happening either. There is footage in "The Vault", as I can see them there, but to open them, it needs WiFi !!

No matter what I try, it will not connect to the WiFi.

Try putting your phone in airplane mode before attempting connection.

That definitely does work, nothing is connecting at all.

I can get it to connect to my house WiFi when car is in drive and I can see the files in the Vault. But still cannot get a live view.

Is it not meant to be connecting to the app on my phone via a WiFi hotspot between the Dashcam and my phone or something !!

Just still can't get a live view more access the clips in my vault, because of the spinning wheel and stating it's connect to the Dashcam via WiFi and nothing happens.

turning off mobile data / airplane mode have been needed some times for me with other brand cameras, i think it is a quirk with android phones.
I also found out that having a VPN going on the phone while trying to connect just will not work.

I am not familiar with this brand / model, but i would assume a direct connection should be possible.

My action camera ( dji osmo action ) to connect to it, you need both BT and wifi going,,,,,,, i think thats a thing unique to dji cameras or at least that model i have.

Thanks for you suggestions, much appreciated. I'll keep trying

I spent 30 mins on line with Garmin Support yesterday, running through all the troubleshooting that I already had done myself and could not resolve my issue. They sent me a special link to send them the data files from my phone and they have escalated it (whatever that means) and can give me no indication on how long it will take !! I have told them that I'll wait five working days and if I hear nothing or its not resolved, I'll return the unit to Halfords for a refund (and probably keep the current system I have which is Thinkware or possibly try a Nextbase).
I personally think its a faulty unit because connecting it to my phone via WiFi to see footage and a live view is such a easy simple thing to (or should be).

I think I know what the issue is.

The Garmin Mini 2 works fine and as it should on my Samsung Tab S7+ tablet which is running on Android 12.

My Google Pixel 5 is running on the new Android 13 and it doesn't seem to be compatible !!

I'm still waiting on Garmin Support to get back to me, but I reckon they know its a Android 13 issue and Garmin have not been aware of this !!

They do know that I am trying to get it to work on a device that's running Android 13, so I assume they are working on it !!

It would be interesting to know if anyone else is running Android 13 and whether it works for them or not !

It does work for me (Pixel 5, Android 13, DC57) but it is flakey at best. The way Drive app is connecting to the camera is complex so I am not surprised. The Drive app initiates connection via Bluetooth then switches to Wi-Fi for certain functions. Garmin notes this in their docs: "This Wi-Fi connection can take several minutes and take several attempts to successfully connect"
The phone's logic to switch between different Wi-Fi access point is also complicated, in some cases your phone will refuse to switch from your home Wi-Fi (or LTE) to the cameras Wi-Fi thinking the former provides "better" signal.
It's a mess, fortunately not something I use often, but I hope they fix it.

Using the Garmin Dash Cam's Built-In WiFi

Thanks for that, very useful. However, although I probably would not be using it often (I hope), I do like to check about once a week to ensure the cameras are pointing correctly!!.
I have tried LOADS of times with no luck at all (up to a hour) and nothing.

So, unfortunately Garmin are now off my short list and it's going back to Halfords for a refund and I'm edging towards Nextbase, simply, because it works and having a screen is handy.

I'm not daft, I did read about this when researching, but I didn't think it was this bad.

Cheers

I don't remember this ever being a problem (for me) Probably needs an update (App or/and camera)

Dashcam updated as soon as I powered it on and and the Garmin app is updated also.

Dashcam updated as soon as I powered it on and and the Garmin app is updated also.
I think further updates will be necessary for the Android 13. Almost time for a new Garmin dashcam anyway :)

I have exactly the same problem with a Pixel 4a running Android 13. Live View connected once and then never again. It mentioned it would make a Wifi connection to the phone and then worked. On subsequent attempts that notification does not appear and it just fails. I did not have this problem on Android 12.

Just make sure that there are no active VPNs running on your phone. For example, if you have Blokada or some other VPN, do not forget to disable it before you turn on the Live View OR, even better, just bypass Garmin Drive app in the Advanced >> Apps. I was getting the multiple "Unable to connect to the camera Wi-Fi network" error notifications, until I found the solution.

Indeed a VPN will turn everything upside down.

Back