No more lexar

There goes the lifetime warranty to all my CF cards.

What are the generally recommended SD card brands for dashcam? When I bought my Lexar card (which still works fine), the two usual choices were Lexar and Transcend High Endurance, and I got Lexar because it was around half cheaper.

What are the generally recommended SD card brands for dashcam? When I bought my Lexar card (which still works fine), the two usual choices were Lexar and Transcend High Endurance, and I got Lexar because it was around half cheaper.

Lexar, Transcend, and Samsung I think.

PNY has been well-recommended too though I haven't heard anything about those lately. Samsung has 'cheapened' it's EVO cards recently, best to get the "EVO Select" version now. Several have had good success with the SanDisk 200GB card too though their others may be chancy.

It seems to me the only consistently good cards have been Transcend premium, with very few having problems using them. These are in short supply in some sizes and pricey in all sizes- I had a 6-week wait on a 32GB 400X from them on Amazon and the 64 GB which took only a few days to get half a year ago now takes 7-14 days to hit my mailbox.

All just part of the Dashcam game for the experienced, but especially frustrating to those new to the game who might have a nice new camera and no card to use it with :(

Phil

PNY has been well-recommended too though I haven't heard anything about those lately....
I use PNY's exclusively in my vehicle and have had no issues.

that's the problem with lifetime warranties, whose lifetime, theirs or yours
In the case of memory cards it is always the lifetime of the card.

won't do you any good if the product ceases to exist

About six years ago I had solar panels put on the roof of our house. It was during a crazy government-subsidised boom.
Cost me about £9k for the work. I got a ten year warranty.
Not surprisingly the boom turned to bust and most UK solar installers shut up shop or went bust within a year or two. The company that fitted mine lasted about four years before they succumbed. Now my ten-year warranty is worth less than the paper it was written on.
Fortunately the solar panels have 'earned/saved' enough so far that they don't owe me anything.

In fairness, I expected all the above and went with one of the larger solar installation companies which is probably why they survived two or three years longer than most others.

I'm surprised so far no one mentioned Kingston cards. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

About six years ago I had solar panels put on the roof of our house. It was during a crazy government-subsidised boom.
Cost me about £9k for the work. I got a ten year warranty.
Not surprisingly the boom turned to bust and most UK solar installers shut up shop or went bust within a year or two. The company that fitted mine lasted about four years before they succumbed. Now my ten-year warranty is worth less than the paper it was written on.
Fortunately the solar panels have 'earned/saved' enough so far that they don't owe me anything.

In fairness, I expected all the above and went with one of the larger solar installation companies which is probably why they survived two or three years longer than most others.
Solar panels don't really wear out though, you can expect them to continue working at close to full capacity for another 30 years, while memory cards do wear out.

The lifetime warrantee on the memory cards is normally the expected lifetime of around 1000 write cycles per cell. The warrantee doesn't apply if it wears out as expected, even if it only lasts 1 week because you have managed to put 1200 write cycles on it within a week - the lifetime warrantee is thus a more limited warrantee and less risky for the manufacturer than a normal 1 year warrantee.

I'm surprised so far no one mentioned Kingston cards. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Yes, about the only one not mentioned yet that makes their own cards, and we don't see many issues with them.

Solar panels don't really wear out though, you can expect them to continue working at close to full capacity for another 30 years, while memory cards do wear out..

Solar panels don't tend to wear out, but the 'inverter' that converts the weather-dependent volts/amps panel output from DC to AC and adjusts the output to match the local grid voltage has an expected life of ten years, with many failing after just a few years.
Not much change from four figures to get a dual-input 4kW-capable inverter replaced.

In my experience, Kingston cards are erratic. When subjected to prolonged high bitrate writing on a fragmented card they seem prone to stuttering and tripping up the camera, behaving as if they're defective but actually it's just the way the card fails to cope with complex reads/writes/over-writes that the manufacturer never designed it to do.

Back