No name Chinese car head unit

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
maybe a long shot on a DVR forum but maybe the issue I'm having might be similar

I have a no name Chinese 7” head unit, well its got a name on the front not sure it it means anything, Erisin ES842D

I’ve had it for a number of years now with no issues, well apart from the occasional freeze of the GPS sat nav, but a switch off and on get’s it going again

as my car had been put away for the winter, the batter has been on a trickle charge to keep it healthy and its been doing fine, then last week a combination of two things (somehow sidelights were on and the charger wasn’t connected properly) the battery went flat, and following this the battery wouldn’t hold its charge, so replaced the battery, and her is my issue

the head unit works just fine with the exception of being able to read my SD card with my mp3 music on it,

the head unit works just fine reading the GPS navigation app off the other SD card, plays the radio both FM/AM, shows the reversion camera, shows DVB-T TV just fine, Bluetooth connects with my mobile phone and can also stream music to the head unit by bluetooth, I can connect my iPad to the unit and it will play music of the iPad

The only thing it will not do is read my SD card, when I select it to play from the SD card the screen goes grey, if I take out the SD card then when I select play from the SD card the unit informs me to insert a SD card as one is not inserted, and also if I connect a USB stick with MP3’s or films on it the screen goes grey

so everything on it works with the exception of playing whats on the SD card, I’ve reformatted two cards and tried them and same thing, the only think I haven’t done yet is go out and buy a new card and try that, I remember two years back the unit wouldn’t read the GPS navigation software as a last resort I bought a new card and it worked just fine, could this be the same issue now?

any help would be most welcome

A new (or borrowed known good) card would be where I'd start but maybe someone else here has better ideas; not in my areas of expertise unfortunately.

Phil

thats what I thought, try a brand new card and see if that works

I never had any card problems in my Chinese win CE headunit, but the touch screen died / developed a error within 2 years.
Now i can only control the damn thing with the stupid little remote, and thats just some things, pairing my new phone is out of the question as no input on remote seem to work in the Bluetooth menu :(

I wish some one would just make a amplifier i could plug into the car wire harness, and then control volume and what i want to play from my phone/tablet.
No need for screen as i have plenty in a 5.5" smartphone and the 7" tablet if i am navigating ( using phone to run speed trap app ) so on those days my car i already lit up like a x-mas tree.

thats what I don't understand, everything on it works bar it reading my SD card, and to be honest, I listen to the music on my SD card 100% of the time, I don't need the radio, TV, CD/DVD (never yet put one in it in the time I've had it) bluetooth or it's ipoc compatibility

just want the sat nav (that works) and the SD card reader to work, I've ordered a new card and see how that works out, as I mentioed, had this isue with the GPS not reading the card so hope a new card will remedy the issue

You havent tried to reset the thing ?
I think there is a little reset hole on the front of my unit ( also just playing SD card on mine )
I never had a CD in it but i did use the NAV a little when it was now, but it was pretty weak software ( IGO )
I am contemplating getting a new headunit, but then again i will probably have to use my little surplus funds on other things.

I have a double din GPS / stereo head unit ...
Yes , they corrupt SD cards from time to time ..
They do a really good job as I am yet to recover a corrupted card ..
I would get a decent brand name card ( possibly 8gig ) thats cheap enough and try that .
For the GPS you might want a fast card ...
I am currently using a fast card and its been relatively trouble free ( GPS ) since switching to a faster card ..
Am I using a 16gig Class 10 or a 8 gig class 10 ?????????/ ( Hu been a while since its given me trouble )

I just use a cheapo old 8Gb card i had lying around for a few MP3s, never encountered any corruption of SD cards ( media or NAV card )

Yeah !
My Xtron has spat out two cards DOA ...
One from the media port and one from the GPS SD card port ..

Yes I’ve pressed the reset button many times but still the same, the head unit will only recognise a card up to 8gig, I have lots of cards 32gig - 64gig, but non 8gig so hopefully the 8 gig card will arrive by this Thursday and I’ll give it a go

I’m inclined to agree with you old4570, in that I think the unit has done a good job of corrupting my SD card with the MP3’s on it, my reason being I still remember the hassle I went through when my GPS would not see the SD card, I spend weeks messing about with cards I already had and formatting and re installing the GPS software all to no avail, as a last attempt I bought a new card and that did the job,

what I have been doing in the past couple of days is, I’ve connected my iPhone by bluetooth to the head unit and playing my music off the phone this way, it’s better than nothing but sooner have the SD card MP3 playing

fingers crossed, this will be the issue I have, otherwise I’ll be on the lookout for a 1DIN 7” screen GPS/MP3 player for my car

Is there a USB port / connection ?
I have a USB cable that allows me to connect USB Pen drives ...
I had movies and episodes of Hogans Hero's on my USB drive I watched on the Xtrons ( When parked and waiting )
+ I just picked up a micro USB Drive ( 16gig ) ...
Might pop some media on it for the Xtrons

Last edited:
yes it has a mini USB connection on the face of it to plug in a memory card, with the adapter that comes with it, I've tried but it won't read anything connected to that mini USB either

I've took this video clip in case it might help, like I said everything works on it with the exception of reading my SD card with music on it or anything connected the the mini USB at the front but it will let me connect my iPad to the jack plug and play the music off my iPad, before, anything connected to the mini USB movie clips or music it would play but not now (it still reads the GPS on the micro SD card though)

hope this might explain better

any help most welcome, hate to bin this head unit as I'm happy with it, of all the things it can do the two I use the most GPS and music on the SD card, why didn't any of the other things I don't use on it packed up? :)

just to add, after it didn't work the first time I inserted the SD card in, I went back and formatted the card with SDFormater but still nothing, but the very funny thing is, it knows if I take out the card and then select to play from the SD card, and come to that, if I select to read from the memory stick and I haven't connected a memory stick to the unit it tells me I don't have a memory stick connected, am I scratching my head or what :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah while a new headunit is not that expensive compared to brand ones, then money saved for other things are still good.

Wow .. That's a bummer ..

USB , are you reading SD cards VIA an adapter or a USB Pen drive .. ( https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=usb+pen+drive+price&tbm=shop&* )
Sorry for asking ... ( Im just not 100% on that )

But looks like you have a problem .. ( With the head unit ) Is there any warranty
Was there a USB cable connection at the back of the unit ..
My Xtrons had both USB and IPOD connections ( cables ) at the back of the unit . ( I don't IPOD )

Have you tried holding the reset button down or unplugging the unit overnight?

@old4570 the new card that arrived this morning is a micro SD card with an adapter, 8 gig as that's the max limit it can read

no warranty left, I’ve had it for a good few years now and apart from once having to issue with the GPS D card, replace the micro SD card for the GPS everything has worked just fine.

Until my car battery went flat a couple of weeks back, The things I have tried so far, five or six 2gig, 4gig and 8gig cards (not new) nothing, when I connect a memory stick to the micr USB on its front I get the same as if selecting to play from the SD card, blank screen,

I have lost count of the times I’ve pressed the reset button, and earlier today I disconnected all power to the unit for a good 2 minutes but still the same issue (might try the 24 hours tomorrow)

from the menu if I select memory stick and no memory stick is connected wit will say “there is no memory stick connected” it can’t read the memory stick, but knows it one isn’t connected

same with the SD card, if one is inserted and I select play from SD card the screen goes black, but take out the card and it tells me there’s no card, I don’t understand that

I bought a new 8gig SD card it arrived today, its a micro SD card with the SD card adaptor. not a true SD card, would this make any difference? I’ve been using micro SD cards wit hadaports in my digital camera for a number of years wit hon issues

I transferred some of my music to this new card, and same as before, black screen, so took outage card and formatted it using SDFormatter, tried it in the head unit, exactly the same as before

what has me stumped is, surely if the card reader thing in the unit has been damaged how can it still know if I take out the SD cars or memory stick from the mini USB connector?

I could understand if I had out grown its features and wanted something different, but am happy with it, if only I could get the SD card reader to work, I’ve looked on the internet for local audio repairers, didn’t find any within a 15 mile radius of me, a few (one I do know of won’t tuck it as it wasn’t bought from him, when I had the issue wit the GPS SD card)

I know by inserting a micro SD card with utilities on it and insert it where the GPS goes in I can access data information from the head unit, is there an app I could use to find out what the issue with the SD card reader might be?

Last edited:
I dont think its the reader, it sounds more like the software to me. The older chinese headunits used Windows CE which is notorious for crashing alot.

Try holding the power button and reset button together. Its sometimes a combo of two to do a hard reset.

now that makes sense flip9, as if the reader was faulty it wouldn't be able to know if a card was inserted or not, the head unit was sold as running WINCE6 but when I had the GPS issue, I used a bit of software read data from the head unit and it came back that the head unit was running WINCE5

I'll try this in the morning holding down the power button at the same time as the reset button, when I hold down the reset button I do it for 20 -30 seconds

@flip9 I came across this page, after reading your opinion I went looking for known issues with WINCE

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-when-the-power-supply-is-turned-off-suddenly

Last edited:
Just spent some time on Youtube ...
There are some guides .. WinCE upgrades ...
Might be easy to brick a unit .. Never tried to update a double din .. Hmmm ... Had mine for about 2 years now ... Is it time for an Android Double Din (?)
Hmmmmm Might visit Xtrons , wonder if they have a updated Win CE ?

Back