No place for rear camera on 2007 Honda CR-V

cujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought Viofo Plus Duo and cannot find a place to mount rear camera. The brake light is in enclosure that drops down from top of rear window on 2007 CR-V. Was going to mount rear camera to side of enclosure but USB plugs in top. Move camera down to accommodate plug and lens at defrost line. The defrost lines too close together to mount anywhere else on rear window. Either stick pad on defrost line or defrost line across middle of rear camera field of view. So decided to mount on interior moulding above rear glass. Only problem is sticky 2-sided tape doesn't stick to moulding. Camera dropped off first day. Any ideas of how to stick camera on moulding NOT using superglue?

Front Camera goes on Windshield. Rear camera on Rear Hatch. You'll need to take off the plastic trim on the hatch and feed the wire through the rubber grommet to prevent dangling.

I know rear camera goes on rear hatch. Already have cable through. The problem is NO ROOM on rear hatch to stick camera on rear window. Defrost lines in the way. Since USB plug at top must move camera down from an inch from top edge of window. When I do that, defrost line smack in middle of lens.

So how do I get camera to stick to top panel. Sticky pad doesn't stick.

So how do I get camera to stick to top panel. Sticky pad doesn't stick.

See Image:

1. Remove Circled Trim Piece
2. Feed Wire through Rubber Grommet to reach Rear Window.
3. Front to Rear Wire (and Hardwire if you do so) needs routed behind the Curtains on the PIllars. 2007 Has side Curtains.

NEVER TUCK WIRES over the curtain. Pillars MUST be removed to prevent obstructing deployment.

I know rear camera goes on rear hatch. Already have cable through. The problem is NO ROOM on rear hatch to stick camera on rear window. Defrost lines in the way. Since USB plug at top must move camera down from an inch from top edge of window. When I do that, defrost line smack in middle of lens.

You cut the sticky Pad down so it fits in between the rear defrost lines.....

Untitled.png

2007 Honda CRV has Side Airbags...You'll need to remove pillars and route wires BEHIND the side curtain.

The sticky pad is exact size of camera mount. The lens points down from there. If could put at very top of hatch window would be ok. Bur rear camera connects to front with USB cable plug at top of rear camera. If I mount camera further down the hatch glass, pad/camera fits but lens is below that pointing down so defrost line across camera FOV.

I think if it was me i would mount the rear camera off the 3 brake light housing, though it do look as if a heater line are pretty close, so probably not a option to film above it, so maybe space camera out to film below the top heater line.
In my own car using a 10 mm thick magnet as a base for the camera ( cheap car no plastics on dear hatch above or to the side of rear window )

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

You do some times need to get creative with installs, i have been using this magnet to hold cameras in place for over 5 years, even before dual channel systems.
I like it, make the whole camera removeable for when cleaning rear window on the inside,,,,,, though right now futile as i have 2 other cameras there flanking it and they are both glues to the glass.

I tried every possible place on rear hatch
No place with big inch long USB plug entering top of camera. So settled for mounting on interior panel just above glass (still part of hatch). Just need idea of how to make it stick to plastic trim panel.

Of course you cant copy my setup 1:1 as you dont have clean metal, but you could glue a piece of sheet metal on the inside of your plastic trim, then on the outside a neodymium magnet will have no problem gripping the metal thru the fairly thin plastics.

#1 at least in regard to not having any heater lines in the footage is to get lens right up against the glass, if you do that then it will be possible, at least in my car with the spacing it have on the heater lines.
My 2 other cameras,,, or at least the one of them are filming below the top heater line, this is installed in a regular manner glued to the glass.

The sticky pad is exact size of camera mount. The lens points down from there. If could put at very top of hatch window would be ok. Bur rear camera connects to front with USB cable plug at top of rear camera. If I mount camera further down the hatch glass, pad/camera fits but lens is below that pointing down so defrost line across camera FOV.

There's no way to avoid the defrost lines in the image. No matter how you place the camera, it'll "look past them" to a degree if the camera is mounted direct to the Rear Glass. As the lens is wide angled.

I think if it was me i would mount the rear camera off the 3 brake light housing, though it do look as if a heater line are pretty close, so probably not a option to film above it, so maybe space camera out to film below the top heater line.
In my own car using a 10 mm thick magnet as a base for the camera ( cheap car no plastics on dear hatch above or to the side of rear window )

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

You do some times need to get creative with installs, i have been using this magnet to hold cameras in place for over 5 years, even before dual channel systems.
I like it, make the whole camera removeable for when cleaning rear window on the inside,,,,,, though right now futile as i have 2 other cameras there flanking it and they are both glues to the glass.

Can either do to plastic using the 3M included pads. Or mount on the glass in the area BEFORE the defrost lines begin. Either way, the wide angled lens is going to capture some of the defrost lines. But since the lens is wide angled, it "looks past them".

Untitled.png

Dead center and on the top of my rear hatch there is wiper coverage :cool: but the 2 other cameras i have gotten since then are staggered below that, so quite a substantial cluster of cameras i have back there now.
Back when using single cameras ( the joovuu X cam that no longer sell ) i even had a piece of metal bend over and screwed to the camera as the magnet was not anough spacing to clear the lip around my window, so my folded up piede of metal added about 10 mm to the hight and then it just cleared and with just 1 camera there it is a extremely stealthy install VS gluing a mount to the glass.

I thought just to side of top center brake housing would wotk until the big 1" long USB plug into top of rear camera nixed that. I like your idea of magnet to mount camera. Later generation CR-Vs have brake lights in housing with other lights on each side of hatch. 3rd gen have brake light at top center of hatch.

Attachments

• Honda-CR-V-2007-1600-33.jpg
    Honda-CR-V-2007-1600-33.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 0
Yeah offsetting to either side is also a option, work just fine with the wide angle lenses, just something my OCD have a little problem handling.
Though having had a great many cameras in my car in the past decade, often many at the same time, have taught my OCD to chill some on that matter :)

Dead center and on the top of my rear hatch there is wiper coverage :cool: but the 2 other cameras i have gotten since then are staggered below that, so quite a substantial cluster of cameras i have back there now.
Back when using single cameras ( the joovuu X cam that no longer sell ) i even had a piece of metal bend over and screwed to the camera as the magnet was not anough spacing to clear the lip around my window, so my folded up piede of metal added about 10 mm to the hight and then it just cleared and with just 1 camera there it is a extremely stealthy install VS gluing a mount to the glass.

Well he's moaning about defrost lines. Dead center on the plastic is going to see "those lines". Even though the wide angled lens is going to blur past them.

So if he doesn't want the lines in the way, then dead center isn't an option.

you can see my 3 channel rear camera cluset in this video, you can even see the side camera on the R hand rear door fixed glass, my fat head block the view to the other one.

I thought just to side of top center brake housing would wotk until the big 1" long USB plug into top of rear camera nixed that. I like your idea of magnet to mount camera. Later generation CR-Vs have brake lights in housing with other lights on each side of hatch. 3rd gen have brake light at top center of hatch.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But I am a bit confused here. What do you mean the 1 inch long USB cable into the top of the rear camera nixed that?

The cable is fed through the rubber grommet. So that cable plugging into the top of the camera shouldn't be in the way NO MATTER where it's mounted. Unless you have zero plans to remove the trim, and are referring to the cable dangling being the issue.

Back