No power from 12v. socket?

kinndi

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Today I moved my NEXTBASE 312GW from a Volvo S40 to my new Volvo XC40 - I don't think it liked the move!

Working perfectly without a hitch since I bought it new in May 2019, it was always plugged in to my cigarette-lighter 12v socket (I'm a non-smoker) and it always started when the car started and stopped when my journey ended.

However, it won't work in my new car. It switches on and immediately goes into LOW BATTERY warning, flashes a few times and then goes dead. It's not a fuse because I tried a portable satnav in the same socket and it works fine. Am I doing something wrong? I assumed that it would start as usual when I started the car.

Advice would be greatly appreciated,

Francis

was it out of action for any significant amount of time in between changing cars? Nextbase generally suggest charging the battery on an AC USB charger for a couple of hours if the battery is too low. might be worth trying

Thanks. Yes it was for about five hours. I'll try your suggestion.

Have you tried another socket in the car. I once had a bit of corrosion on a fuse. Pulled it out and put it back in and it worked again with decent current this time. What voltage do you have at the socket when the engine is running, should be around 14.2 to 14.4 volts.

I only picked up the car yesterday so I'm not familiar with it yet. :) The socket is definitely okay as I used it to power a portable satnav and it's working fine.
I brought the cam inside and trying to charge it but the LED which I understand should be blue, is red. I don't know if it's charging or not. :unsure:
There's a red 'lightning flash' displayed in the battery icon (bottom left).

If there is a sd cars present inside the dashcam & you have put it on charge & it is flashing red then im guessing it is recording... There should be a solid blue light for charging i think it goes out once fully charged. Usually when i charge my 442gw mainly every other day i lst it charge for around 3 to 4 hours then i know its fully charged pretty much

Hi Francis,

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1) Take your Dash Cam inside and plug it into mains power or a computer using the Nextbase provided USB cable.

2) Remove the SD card and press the reset button on the underside of the dash cam. Then turn the Dash Cam on. Please turn Parking Mode off and turn Screen Saver off as these could interfere with the test results.

3) Let it charge for 2-3 hours whilst turned off.

4) Unplug the power cable, turn the Dash Cam on and time how long the Dash Cam stays on for. The time it takes for the battery to drain will help us identify the root cause

5) Please remember that after this test your Dash Cam will once again need charging as the battery will be flat.

If the battery lasts for less than 3 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan. However if it lasts for 10 minutes, then it may be a faulty Cigarette Lighter Cable. If this is the case, a replacement can be purchased here: https://nextbaseparts.co.uk/collections/312gw

Regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H 312GW 1