No Power

BTS22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hoping you could help me with this. I have recently bough a A119 v3 and the 3 wire hardwire kit from Amazon. The camera works when installed with the cigarette lighter power adapter but I cannot get the camera to power on with the hardwire kit?

I have checked that I am using the right fuses and fuse taps. I am thinking that the hardwire kit may be faulty? Is that common?

If anyone else has any suggestions I would be grateful. I have wired in dashcams previously but wouldn't call myself an expert!

Thanks,

Ben

Hard wire not working are often a poor ground source used

Did you check your fuse choices with a meter?

Double check that the connector on the ground wire is secure.

Did you check your fuse choices with a meter?

Double check that the connector on the ground wire is secure.

Thanks for the help. I didn't check them as I just used the same ones that other people use with my car. I have been out and bought a meter last night so will test them and check the ground and report back!

Ok so I've been out tonight and checked the fuses I've used. Both getting 12v. Tried another cable using each fuse and it powered on so I am guessing the cable is at fault here?

Ok so I've been out tonight and checked the fuses I've used. Both getting 12v. Tried another cable using each fuse and it powered on so I am guessing the cable is at fault here?
What do you have the hardwire kit set to? Did you measure 12V exactly?

What do you have the hardwire kit set to? Did you measure 12V exactly?

I have it set to the top setting to ensure there are no issues with the car battery.

Yes it was 12v maybe slightly over but not by much. Sorry I didn't note them down exactly.

Thanks for your help so far!

I have it set to the top setting to ensure there are no issues with the car battery.

Yes it was 12v maybe slightly over but not by much. Sorry I didn't note them down exactly.

Thanks for your help so far!
If your fuse for the red wire is measuring 12V and the hardwire kit is set to 12.4V, then I wouldn’t expect the kit to pass power to the camera.

If your fuse for the red wire is measuring 12V and the hardwire kit is set to 12.4V, then I wouldn’t expect the kit to pass power to the camera.

Been out and triple checked this. Battery is measuring 12.42 V and the ACC is measuring 12.49 V with the car switched on. Still no power to the camera and triple checked the ground.

I moved the switch down on the hardwire kit which did nothing.

My guess is the hardwire kit must be the issue here?

Been out and triple checked this. Battery is measuring 12.42 V and the ACC is measuring 12.49 V with the car switched on. Still no power to the camera and triple checked the ground.

I moved the switch down on the hardwire kit which did nothing.

My guess is the hardwire kit must be the issue here?
With car running or key just switched to accessory?

That was with the car running.
Would think you’d get more than 12.4V with the car running.

Have you tried 11.8V on the kit just to see if it then turns on. Keep in mind that after you change the voltage cutoff, you need to cycle the hardwire kits power (turn engine off, then on again).

You could try setting the HK3 kit to 11.8V and temporarily wire it directly to battery (Red to Positive, Yellow to Positive, Black to negative) That should eliminate anything other than the HK3 from being the problem. If camera still doesn't power up you probably have a faulty HK3, if it powers up you probably have a faulty connection, bad fuse tap / fuse, or connecting it to a bad / wrong fuse block or bad grounding.

Last edited:
Would think you’d get more than 12.4V with the car running.

Have you tried 11.8V on the kit just to see if it then turns on. Keep in mind that after you change the voltage cutoff, you need to cycle the hardwire kits power (turn engine off, then on again).

I did move the settings to 11.8V but didn't cycle the power so need to try that.

You could try setting the HK3 kit to 11.8V and temporarily wire it directly to battery (Red to Positive, Yellow to Positive, Black to negative) That should eliminate anything other than the HK3 from being the problem. If camera still doesn't power up you probably have a faulty HK3, if it powers up you probably have a faulty connection, bad fuse tap / fuse, or connecting it to a bad / wrong fuse block or bad grounding.

Thanks for this, just been out and tried it on my car and connected to the battery and the camera did power up so it seems that the wire is not the problem here.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Going to set it to 11.8V and try a different ground point then go from there.

Back