No recording loop

Bazzza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using the Mini 806 in the front of my car for probably about a year now and an A118 wedge in the rear. I have just noticed that the 806 is not looping recordings. When the card is full it stops recording any more. Card is a Samsung 32 Pro H1. I have replaced it with a SandiskUltra 16GB Class 10 so we will see how it goes. Is this a card problem or a card problem?

Have you tried reformatting the card in-camera? The 0806 does seem to trip over if there's anything unexpected in the file system. (Don't think it's unique in this respect, but it is definitely susceptible to the problem.)

I assume you have checked the option in the 0806 to turn on looping. You need to insure it is 1min, 3min, or 5min. Otherwise it will do the behavior you described.

If it is still doing it, it could be your card. The Samsung Pro Plus 64 GB is the card I use and the only one which I have been able to get to work reliably --- others here concur it works. My first card was a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB. Makes no difference what 'class' the card is. This unit is very fussy on cards - you have to pick a card that others say works for them.

I assume you have checked the option in the 0806 to turn on looping. You need to insure it is 1min, 3min, or 5min. Otherwise it will do the behavior you described.

If it is still doing it, it could be your card. The Samsung Pro Plus 64 GB is the card I use and the only one which I have been able to get to work reliably --- others here concur it works. My first card was a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB. Makes no difference what 'class' the card is. This unit is very fussy on cards - you have to pick a card that others say works for them.

I have been using this card without a problem for about a year now so I think I will give reformatting a go, although changing the card should achieve the same thing???

reformatting a card that doesn't work will not necessarily make the card problems go away. Are you set to loop? I use 5 mins. What do you use?

fyi - I have tested SDXC cards with the above software which totally passed and still did not work with the 0806 unit. It seems to be a lot more sensitive than say my Panasonic camcorders, laptops, or desktops.

try resetting your device, if that doesn't work try the samsung pro plus microsd.

the life time of a TLC flash chip is around 500 cycles. a 32GB card can store 3.5 hours video so generally the card can offer 1750 hours recording.
Once the life is ending, there will be lots of inexplicable problems.

and the storage card for dash camera was supposed to be re-formated every half month on middle duty operation.

I did the folowing test with the mini 806 (Januari 2016 firmware) and find a strange pfenomenon, below is what i have done.

There where 4 .mov files in the SD card folder 100MEDIA named AMBA0001.MOV up to AMBA0004.MOV, I renamed these files to AMBA9996.MOV up to AMBA9999.MOV.

I inserted the card and powered the dashcam on for half an hour and removed the card. To my suprise a new folder called 101MEDIA was created and AMBA files where started with 0001. whilst the folder 100MEDIA and the files where still on the card.

With the setting 'loop recording of 1 minute', AMBA9999.MOV will be reached after 166 hours. This can be reached before the half monthly re-format.

So my question to the manufacturer is what will happen when the dashcam is used normal and it reached AMBA9999.MOV whilst there's no space left on the card?

I did the folowing test with the mini 806 (Januari 2016 firmware) and find a strange pfenomenon, below is what i have done.

There where 4 .mov files in the SD card folder 100MEDIA named AMBA0001.MOV up to AMBA0004.MOV, I renamed these files to AMBA9996.MOV up to AMBA9999.MOV.

I inserted the card and powered the dashcam on for half an hour and removed the card. To my suprise a new folder called 101MEDIA was created and AMBA files where started with 0001. whilst the folder 100MEDIA and the files where still on the card.

With the setting 'loop recording of 1 minute', AMBA9999.MOV will be reached after 166 hours. This can be reached before the half monthly re-format.

So my question to the manufacturer is what will happen when the dashcam is used normal and it reached AMBA9999.MOV whilst there's no space left on the card?

do that with a full card, if your card wasn't full there's no need for the camera to remove those files just based on their filename

You're right. With a full card a new folder called 101MEDIA is created and each time a new AMBA file is created in that folder an old one in the 100MEDIA folder is deleted.

You're right. With a full card a new folder called 101MEDIA is created and each time a new AMBA file is created in that folder an old one in the 100MEDIA folder is deleted.

that is how it works so it's working as intended

interesting & vagarious test, fortunately Ambarella guy have thinked over on this :)

Back