No recordings saved from rear camera

Jonah

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed the rear camera this morning. All appeared well as the camera showed up on screen in 'picture in picture' mode. I can change to view rear camera only so the front camera is definitely 'seeing' the rear camera.
However after going out driving, I decided to check the camera's view to see if it is positioned correctly. When I look for files on the SD card there aren't any!

The plug on the rear camera doesn't push all the way in and shows a small amount of the pin. However hard I try, the plug will not go in any further.

Could this be the cause of the problem?

Firmware is R21.6.

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 17.26.13.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 17.26.49.jpg

There is an issue with the plug, see the other thread, but if you can view the rear cam in your 512gw then you should be recording both front and rear, have you selected duel files in the settings?

I had dual files switched off but re-enabling it has caused the rear camera recordings to be saved so that is the fix.

It’s a bit of a pain really as I don’t really want the smaller files as they just take up space on the SD card. I have a 128GB card but they still take up space unnecessarily.

Hi @Jonah my guess, from looking at your file list, is that the rear camera is intermittently connecting and disconnecting. When you record the HI.MOV files the rear camera is disconnected. Strange how it still show the FR.MOV files though, indicating that the rear camera is recognised but not recording and you are running the latest firmware though I am informed that a new release is dues out soon. I am sure @NextBase Tiffany will answer you when she is back in the office. Hope you get a satisfactory outcome soon.

Hi @Jonah my guess, from looking at your file list, is that the rear camera is intermittently connecting and disconnecting. When you record the HI.MOV files the rear camera is disconnected. Strange how it still show the FR.MOV files though, indicating that the rear camera is recognised but not recording and you are running the latest firmware though I am informed that a new release is dues out soon. I am sure @NextBase Tiffany will answer you when she is back in the office. Hope you get a satisfactory outcome soon.
Hi Spuds
I posted just at the same time as you with the apparent fix. I have had to re-enable dual files to get it to save the rear files.
I’ve checked the files and there are front and rear files for the five minute journey I just went on.

Thanks for the input.

IIRC with dual files selected and the rear cam connected no small files are recorded just the front and rear files.

IIRC with dual files selected and the rear cam connected no small files are recorded just the front and rear files.
Yes so it seems.

NextBase could do with informing buyers of the rear camera about enabling dual files. It’s no where to be seen on the very small leaflet which cam with it.

Believe they are in process of updating manual, presumably rear cam will be detailed.

That’s not a surprise but surely NextBase should make buyers aware of the need for dual files to be enabled on the leaflet which comes with the rear camera.

Think at time of rear cam release the latest official firmware was 15.8 which didn't have option to disable dual files.

Think at time of rear cam release the latest official firmware was 15.8 which didn't have option to disable dual files.
I was already on 17.8 before the camera was released as Nextbase support sent me the firmware to try and help with a battery issue. It didn't help but I did update to 21.6 before installing the rear camera.

OK, but at time of release the version on Nextbase site was 15.8. So if the leaflet with rear cam had gone on about dual files option majority of owners wouldn't have had that option.

Back