No satellite icon on 512GW

Bugsy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just brought new 512GW all ok when I first installed it, but now not getting satellite icon so no GPS data recording. Did latest firmware update before I installed it, anyone got any ideas?

Try pushing in the reset button on the bottom and see if it re-appears.

Maybe your vehicle has a heat-reflective windscreen.

Nextbase have been in touch they are sending me a new mount, it seems this is were the GPS module is and could be the answer to my problem. Thanks for the replies.

Welcome @Bugsy

Sorry to hear you've lost the GPS icon, I think the new mount will fix too.

That is where the GPS receiver is, if not please get in touch again as the GPS is a vital part!

I had his issue with my 412gw & it turned out that because I hadn’t fitted the Corrite (I think that is what it’s called - could be ferrite) cable surround it wasn’t picking up Gps/speed signal. Once fitted (fitted it on cable quite close close to the gps mount) and low & behold it started to work fine and I have no heat reflective windscreen

I don't think my hardwire mount has that but it still works fine.

Strange.

New mount arrived still no satellite icon so no GPS data, so back to Amazon and a refund.

New mount arrived still no satellite icon so no GPS data, so back to Amazon and a refund.

As per my post #3: does your car have a heat-reflective windscreen?

2016 Ford Focus, no idea if it has heat-reflective windscreen, GPS worked fine for first couple of days then suddenly satellite icon no longer showing so no GPS or speed data. Have been using a DOD dashcam since I brought the car in September last year and GPS was faultless with that.

2016 Focus more than likely does have a heated front screen.

With the current temps is probably 'on' ?

Only way to test is to remove the GPS mount from the screen and hold it, connected, out of an open window and see if it connects.

My 412 connects OK from inside my brick garage, door closed, so it is quite sensitive.

Last edited:
Yes does have heated front screen, why did he call it 'heat-reflective screen' didn't understand that lol. Nothing to do with the front screen the icon is not even showing on the dashcams screen, and like I said DOD GPS worked fine and this one worked for a couple of days. It's not a connection problem with the satellite the GPS function is just not there.

Last edited:
I presume it's not turned off ?

I haven't double checked but I think you can.

No not turned off, I will get another one but closer to home so easier to return if I get any problems if I do then back to a DOD model.

2016 Focus more than likely does have a heated front screen.

With the current temps is probably 'on' ?

Only way to test is to remove the GPS mount from the screen and hold it, connected, out of an open window and see if it connects.

My 412 connects OK from inside my brick garage, door closed, so it is quite sensitive.

Heat-reflective is not the same as heated.
Heat reflective blocks the sun's rays to help the car stay cooler in summer and may also block GPS signals.
Heated warms up the windscreen for demisting/defrosting.

Very often, cars with heat-reflective windscreens have a few small areas of glass that aren't reflective (often near the rear view mirror or top corners) in order to allow use of devices that require GPS-type signals. With those devices, placement on the windscreen has to be very precise in order for the device to be in a non-reflective part of the glass.

Yes I know what heated front screen is my car has that, GPS has not been a problem with my previous dashcam. But with this Nextbase the icon is not there, it's not a case of icon trying to connect and can't because of windscreen. The icon has disappeared was there when I first installed it and worked perfectly, have now put my old dashcam back in car it picks up satellite no problems.

Did you try the reset as per post #2 ?

Back