"No SD card detected--restarting"

SDKoala

Reaction score
Country
United States
I preordered the DR900S-2CH from The Dashcam Store and have had it installed for about a month. About once every 5-10 days, when the dashcam powers on, it will it give me an error that says "no SD card detected--restarting." This is with the OEM 16GB BlackVue micro SD card that came with the camera. The dashcam then goes into a bootloop and will just keep playing that message every time it restarts, which it will do indefinitely. It won't do anything until I physically remove the SD card and format it in computer. I can't do an in-camera format since it won't start up. If this happens during a drive, the camera becomes useless.

I contacted both BlackVue directly, who wrote back that the SD card needed to be replaced and to contact the vendor, which I did. The Dashcam Store support has been disappointing and it's taken somewhere around 2 weeks of back and forth for them to get to the point where they are asking me to send back the front and rear cams and the SD card for diagnostics. This sounds like overkill and will leave me without the camera for at least a week. Since the error is sporadic, I can already imagine that they'll hard reset it, do their testing, and if nothing happens after starting it up a few times, they'll send it everything back to me with nothing resolved. I've asked them to replace the SD card as BlackVue themselves recommended and I'm waiting for a response. It seems like the easiest way to determine if it's the card or the cam.

Has anyone seen this error message with an OEM BlackVue micro SD card? Is there any kind of fix? They already had me run some third party format utility (GUI Format) that looks like it was written about 15 years ago and it didn't resolve the problem. I feel I shouldn't have to buy another card just because The Dashcam Store is being difficult, especially if it should be covered by warranty. The only thing they've done so far is guarantee the loss of a customer as I'm definitely never buying anything from them again.

You're going to eventually need a new card anyway and 16GB is small so you might as well purchase a new (larger) card. Test the new card out in the camera and hopefully confirm that your 16GB card is bad then simply get the card exchanged.

You may have a defective SD card. I have had SD cards eventually wear out and even after formatting them I get this message.

As far as The Dashcam Store goes, I have purchased three different cameras from them over the last few years and have found the service, when needed, excellent. I have never had a problem with them and have worked with them to troubleshoot issues.

I preordered the DR900S-2CH from The Dashcam Store and have had it installed for about a month. About once every 5-10 days, when the dashcam powers on, it will it give me an error that says "no SD card detected--restarting." This is with the OEM 16GB BlackVue micro SD card that came with the camera. The dashcam then goes into a bootloop and will just keep playing that message every time it restarts, which it will do indefinitely. It won't do anything until I physically remove the SD card and format it in computer. I can't do an in-camera format since it won't start up. If this happens during a drive, the camera becomes useless.

I contacted both BlackVue directly, who wrote back that the SD card needed to be replaced and to contact the vendor, which I did. The Dashcam Store support has been disappointing and it's taken somewhere around 2 weeks of back and forth for them to get to the point where they are asking me to send back the front and rear cams and the SD card for diagnostics. This sounds like overkill and will leave me without the camera for at least a week. Since the error is sporadic, I can already imagine that they'll hard reset it, do their testing, and if nothing happens after starting it up a few times, they'll send it everything back to me with nothing resolved. I've asked them to replace the SD card as BlackVue themselves recommended and I'm waiting for a response. It seems like the easiest way to determine if it's the card or the cam.

Has anyone seen this error message with an OEM BlackVue micro SD card? Is there any kind of fix? They already had me run some third party format utility (GUI Format) that looks like it was written about 15 years ago and it didn't resolve the problem. I feel I shouldn't have to buy another card just because The Dashcam Store is being difficult, especially if it should be covered by warranty. The only thing they've done so far is guarantee the loss of a customer as I'm definitely never buying anything from them again.
Does the SD card format on your computer normally?
If so, I would try flashing the newest firmware on Blackvue's website.
If not, you may have a defective card, in which you would need a replacement.

Hope that helps!
Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

You're going to eventually need a new card anyway and 16GB is small so you might as well purchase a new (larger) card. Test the new card out in the camera and hopefully confirm that your 16GB card is bad then simply get the card exchanged.

I agree with this advice. Figure out it's just the card there bad and then let them replace just the 16GB card, but in the meantime enjoy your camera with a larger, more useful card.

If the larger card, after being properly formatted, also exhibits the problem then you know it's the camera and can confidently send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back