No way to turn speed off?

Loyalbased

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
Hi all. I have the GPS with my V3 and in “GPS info stamp” I have it set to OFF.

But my speed is still displayed when recording. Is this a bug? I read speed cannot be disabled with GPS which if true, is kind of ridiculous. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must be a bug in the firmware @viofo can probably advise.
The speed can always be assertained from your video alone, no one in a court at least will have any faith in a cheap GPS reading in a dashcam, but a distance in between two things you can go measure, and the time in the video it take to cover said distance will give you a 100% speed reading.
And no court can overrule the principles of math.

O i think maybe the GPS info stamp mean the latti and longetude ?
What about speed type isent there a kmh / mph / off somewhere ??

Hi all. I have the GPS with my V3 and in “GPS info stamp” I have it set to OFF.

But my speed is still displayed when recording. Is this a bug? I read speed cannot be disabled with GPS which if true, is kind of ridiculous. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you referring to what's displayed in the video itself or what the player shows? Even with GPS stamp off, speed will still display in some players, but not in the video itself. If you don't want speed to be recorded and showed by some players, you need to turn GPS off unfortunately.

I think he mean what is watermarked on the footage.

Hey all. Probably should have tested it on my computer, but I'm talking about the "_ mph" seen on the camera itself, while it's recording.

I'll play some video on my computer tomorrow to see if it's able to be seen in the clips themselves.

what's shown on the LCD display of the camera doesn't mean it's in the video, that's a separate data feed that does that

The speed can always be assertained from your video alone, no one in a court at least will have any faith in a cheap GPS reading in a dashcam, but a distance in between two things you can go measure, and the time in the video it take to cover said distance will give you a 100% speed reading.
And no court can overrule the principles of math.
Presumably you are going to assume that the timing from the aforementioned cheap GPS reading in a dashcam is accurate? :D

Presumably you are going to assume that the timing from the aforementioned cheap GPS reading in a dashcam is accurate? :D

It's off by about 2 mph I've noticed. Not terrible, I guess?

But yeah, it doesn't show up in videos. Thanks everyone.

I was being sarky about timing from the cheap GPS. Timing on GPS is down to nanosecond accuracy. It won't give you a position if it's not.
What are you comparing the GPS with? If it's your car's speedo, then it's not the GPS that's 'off' it's your car's speedo and I bet the car's speedo reads about 2MPH higher than the GPS. (They are designed to do that so that they never under-read.)
The speed from GPS is usually a direct reading and not calculated from D/t.

I was being sarky about timing from the cheap GPS. Timing on GPS is down to nanosecond accuracy. It won't give you a position if it's not.
What are you comparing the GPS with? If it's your car's speedo, then it's not the GPS that's 'off' it's your car's speedo and I bet the car's speedo reads about 2MPH higher than the GPS. (They are designed to do that so that they never under-read.)
The speed from GPS is usually a direct reading and not calculated from D/t.

Hm. You learn something new every day! Didn't know the GPS on the Viofo could be that accurate. That being said... could it be used against me in court? Hahaha

Car speedos are generally under the actual speed, so no one can claim it is the fault of the car maker he / she was speeding, the speedo in my little Suzuki are about 8 kmh less than what the GPS in my cashcams or phone GPS or roadside speed signs say.
This vary a little the minimum difference are probably 6-7 km/h but at higher speeds it seem to change, so when i do 110 kmh according to the car speedo my GPS say i am doing 100 kmh
And i have many times passed the Danish ATK cars ( Automated Traffic K/Control ) at exactly the speed limit according to my waze like app on the phone, and i have still to get my first speeding ticket.
The dashcams are polling speed slowly, if i drive 50 kmh ( default town speed limit here ) and brake hard, when i am stopped the phone or dashcam will still say i am driving at some speed, and it take a second or two to catch up to the fact that i am stopped.
Same go for acceleration, but here i cant tell much as my car have 70 horsepower, so for me getting up to speed take a while.
I have also noticed some fluctuations when i go thru a curve in the road, i assume the GPS only calculate speed as a result of the direct line in between 2 measuring.

A court will take your speed off the video itself, as the time it take you to travel the distance from "that light pole" to "that sign" and then they send someone to measure the distance in between those 2 things.
And no one can claim the well established math that have sent man to the moon and so on are flawed, so you will just have to suck up that speed.

A court will take your speed off the video itself, as the time it take you to travel the distance from "that light pole" to "that sign" and then they send someone to measure the distance in between those 2 things.
And no one can claim the well established math that have sent man to the moon and so on are flawed, so you will just have to suck up that speed.
That's possible?! Jeez. Not like I speed any more than others, but damn. I'm gonna have to keep this in mind.

yes pretty simple, say there are 71 yards between the 2 points, and you covered that distance in XX.x seconds in the video, add a little math converting yards / second to miles / hour and you have your speed.
So if you are really worried about your speed, the last thing you want to do i videotape yourself driving, or at least let "the man" get his fingers on that video ;)
Good thing is dashcams are still a fairly unknown thing in the west, so with a half stealthy install and no one will ever notice your camera anyway.
Im okay with speed now, and even on the occasions where i slip a little over the limit ( just about every drive i take ) if i get caught out just pay the price and move on.
On the motorways here the default speed are 130 km/h with 110 zone at connecting roads, but i never do 130, don't feel the need for it 110 are fine for me.
Where as in the 90ties it was 150 - 200 km/h all the time, and back then the limit was 110 on the motorways. :rolleyes: so some good do come of getting older.

In the old days when cops still worked here, they some times used helicopters to time cars in between 2 T signs painted on the road, and then radio to a cop up ahead to pull the car over.
But that was in the old days and cops working with military as police here don't have helicopters of their own, but i don't think they use that format any more now that they got laser guns and the ATK cars.
Denmark only have 10 fixed speed traps, but around 100 of the ATK cars, and god know how many laser guns,,,,,,,, and a cronic shortage of police, we are down to 50% makpower due to many cops going on pesnion and this come as a surprise to people in charge.

Last edited:
That's possible?! Jeez. Not like I speed any more than others, but damn. I'm gonna have to keep this in mind.
Here's a real world example of what @kamkar1 was saying.

My car speedo reads 53mph whilst my 2 GPS are reading 50mph

I've been travelling in a 25 mile 50mph average speed zone since early October setting cruise control to match 50mph on the SatNav devices and so far nothing in the post.

The ATK cars here have to dismiss the first 4 kmh overspeed, and i think it is the same with the laser guns.
And so they do, my friend got a speeding ticket for doing 85 in a 80 zone, so minus the 4 he got ticketed for being 1 kmh over.
That's like a fraction of walking speed. :LOL:
And i have passed ATK cars at 82 kmh GPS speed and still not gotten a MSG from them

If the same as here then all speed ticketing equipment has to be callibrated to true speed.

So if that was the UK then if you got caught doing 85, which would be 85 true, then your car speedo would be registering ~90.

So in a nutshell you would be doing, according to your car, 90 in an 80 = self inflicted fine

I have a radar detector to give me a little bit of an advantage on the highways ;)

But in all seriousness, I'm not by any means a speed demon and consider myself a very safe driver. A lot of valuable information in this thread, though!

I have a radar detector to give me a little bit of an advantage...
Ah yes - radar detector, a device who's only purpose is to enable the owner to break the law easier. :ROFLMAO:

Back