Noise problem with hard wire kit HK3

ERANY

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Got the HK3 hard wire & assembled it today in lab to do some tests.
noticed that there is a constant "wheezing" noise in all the videos...
I repeated to verify & unfortunately i was not wrong. with the standard wire the noise is gone.
i think it might be a shielding problem or other electrical phenomenon :confused:
anyone else familiar with that?

Please upload and share the video with "the noise", so we can understand more about the issue you are facing.

Got the HK3 hard wire & assembled it today in lab to do some tests.
noticed that there is a constant "wheezing" noise in all the videos...
I repeated to verify & unfortunately i was not wrong. with the standard wire the noise is gone.
i think it might be a shielding problem or other electrical phenomenon :confused:
anyone else familiar with that?

@viofo...? any known issues about such problems with HK3?

Do you mean really the constant noise (like a washing-machine / transformer) or the chirping noise (like a cricket)? Or both?

Last edited:
Do you mean really the constant noise (like a washing-machine / transformator) or the chirp noise (like a cricket)? Or both?

I mean the chirp noise. the rest is from the room space...
that "chirp" noise varies its frequency and volume.
sometimes higher & sometimes lower.
it does not happen with the regular (cigarette lighter) power source.

it's not clear from your video but is this powered from the car during this test?

No, as i said before it is powered from a lab power supply.
see picture attached.

Attachments

• PS.jpeg
    PS.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 24
perhaps wire it up in your car and see if it has noise, the noise could be induced by your power supply, considering this is not a known issue it may be something as simple as that, even the camera sitting directly on top of your power supply will pick up EMI from your power supply, not something you will hear with your own ears but the mic will pick it up

perhaps wire it up in your car and see if it has noise, the noise could be induced by your power supply, considering this is not a known issue it may be something as simple as that, even the camera sitting directly on top of your power supply will pick up EMI from your power supply, not something you will hear with your own ears but the mic will pick it up

Wire up in the car is the next step.
the set up & position of the camera on the PS etc. was only for the purpose of the picture.
Before - everything was separated to prevent any interference such as EMI
The noise is there even when the wires are spread & camera is far 3 meters from the power supply...
the noise is only in the video file, not during the operation.
will try though
thank you

See the attached file
Thank you.
That is a rather quiet noise you are complaining about -75dB at around 11KHz, once the car is moving you will never hear it!
Not sure what Viofo's specification is for audio noise, but that is not to bad for a dashcam.

If it is spoiling your road movies, just put it through a low pass filter in the video editor, that high frequency noise is all above 10KHz and a lot quieter than your lower frequency background noise which goes up to -64 dB. Many dashcams and action cameras don't record anything above 8KHz anyway!

I would still wire it to the car to test, don't rely on your AC powered source being clean

Wired it to the car.
Didn't solve the problem... the noise is still there.
It's not the power supply.

That is a rather quiet noise you are complaining about -75dB at around 11KHz, once the car is moving you will never hear it!
Not sure what Viofo's specification is for audio noise, but that is not to bad for a dashcam.

If it is spoiling your road movies, just put it through a low pass filter in the video editor, that high frequency noise is all above 10KHz and a lot quieter than your lower frequency background noise which goes up to -64 dB. Many dashcams and action cameras don't record anything above 8KHz anyway!

Hi Nigel,
It is not so quiet & it varies all the time.
I know this is not a life & death issue but still, it is annoying & ruining the video file (i don't hear it in the car).
your suggestion is a "bypass" but not a solution...
It doesn't happen without the HK3 wiring kit.

Back