Noisy video

SHIGMAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently purchased a viofo a129 plus duo
When running resolution 2k@60fps the picture is very noisy and grainy day/night also the same on 21:9@60fps is this normal?
2k@30fps and 21:9@30fps are fine
Now as to my a119v3 which has exactly the same sensor when i run this on 2k@60fps and 21:9@60fps the video has no noise or grain at all day or night
Is there a fault with the device?
All of the settings are exactly the same on both cameras
EV=0
Bit rate high
WDR =off
Latest firmware versions too

I didn't try with the setting of WDR off, but yes I am also seeing this grainy videos problem from front cam. I don't know whether the cam is a faulty one or it's normal. In some youtube videos the night footage of this cam looks pretty good without noise. So, I too now confused why the footage from my cam is grainy with purple hue. I will check with WDR off and see how it performs.

Are you guys running a lesser bitrate / image quality ?

I found yesterday messing with my A139 camera that on the default high bitrate the footage look noticeable different for the extreme bitrate i always use ( this was in the low light / darkness of Denmark this time of the year,,,,, in the afternoon )
I cant say the footage was more noisy, but on the preview on the phone it looked a lot darker,,,,,, it is something i will take a look at in the days to come CUZ i have never noticed this before ( normally not messing with camera at night / in darkness )

I didn't try with the setting of WDR off, but yes I am also seeing this grainy videos problem from front cam. I don't know whether the cam is a faulty one or it's normal. In some youtube videos the night footage of this cam looks pretty good without noise. So, I too now confused why the footage from my cam is grainy with purple hue. I will check with WDR off and see how it performs.
We would recommend setting the resolution to 2k 30fps. Please have a try.

Are you guys running a lesser bitrate / image quality ?

I found yesterday messing with my A139 camera that on the default high bitrate the footage look noticeable different for the extreme bitrate i always use ( this was in the low light / darkness of Denmark this time of the year,,,,, in the afternoon )
I cant say the footage was more noisy, but on the preview on the phone it looked a lot darker,,,,,, it is something i will take a look at in the days to come CUZ i have never noticed this before ( normally not messing with camera at night / in darkness )
I am using the high nitrate setting on my cam and today I tested setting off WDR which lot of people suggested and voila there is a drastic change in video quality. Now the visible noise gone and I can see pure black night videos which are of my liking. This is what I am looking for and so, culprit is WDR. Don’t know how this WDR off setting affects day time footage, need to check.

We would recommend setting the resolution to 2k 30fps. Please have a try.
Yes I tried both 60fps and 30fps but there is no much change in quality. So, today I tried with WDR off setting and to my surprise it’s a drastic change in quality. Now I am seeing pure black videos with pleasing colours and clear license plates too. So, the issue is with WDR on at night. I don’t know how this affects day time video quality. I will check that but Viofo should look into this WDR issue for sure. With WDR on I saw very unusable videos with heavy noise and banding. I hope you guys are looking into this and release a fix in future firmware update.

Normally the A129 Plus have HDR and not WDR just because the IMX335 sensor used by A129 Plus offers HDR and not WDR. For example WDR was offered on IMX291 sensors. This was decided by Sony and not by Viofo maybe because the most Sony sensors are sold for CCTV cameras and not for dashcams and for CCTV cameras the HDR is better than WDR.

Because WDR technology is different from HDR technology this is why you will not see great results during day using HDR (actual WDR setting from your dashcam).
Viofo and all other dashcam manufacturers had no choice from Sony to use a 2K sensor with WDR technology which is more suitable for dashcam usage so they used the IMX335.

Normally the A129 Plus have HDR and not WDR just because the IMX335 sensor used by A129 Plus offers HDR and not WDR. For example WDR was offered on IMX291 sensors. This was decided by Sony and not by Viofo maybe because the most Sony sensors are sold for CCTV cameras and not for dashcams and for CCTV cameras the HDR is better than WDR.

Because WDR technology is different from HDR technology this is why you will not see great results during day using HDR (actual WDR setting from your dashcam).
Viofo and all other dashcam manufacturers had no choice from Sony to use a 2K sensor with WDR technology which is more suitable for dashcam usage so they used the IMX335.
I got it now. Thank you for the details.

Back