None of my Video editing software packages will recognize the MP4 files?

super_hunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Corel VideoStudio and Avid Studio and neither will recognize the 1080 60P MP4 files off GIT2. I shot 40 videos this weekend and really want to be able to pull those into a Video project. Any ideas? Any freeware solution where I can re-render these into something one of my software packages will recognize?

I shot some other 1080 MP4 with my Sony GX7 and those drag and drop in fine, and also some old MP4s off another camera and a GoPro, its just the Git2 files. I can try and shoot in 30p tonight and see, but I have 20 minutes of footage of a hunt that I would really like to get be able to process along with the stills out of the Sony.

Can you watch that video with MPC-HC? I suspect your video is corrupted because abnormal shut down.

Try to convert to avi using MP4Cam2Avi. You can turn preview off if you have problems.

enjoy,
Mtz

i tried uploading an mp4 file from my git2 shot in 1080p60 directly to youtube. shortly after upload began, youtube showed a notice about some sort of issue detected with the aspect ratio. it DID read the file because it generated a thumbnail, but eventually (after two DAYS of "95% processing") youtube gave up and said the file was corrupt, and to try another format.

meanwhile, VLC and even regular win7 windows media player both play the video just fine. i don't even have any extra codecs installed because it's my work PC and they won't let us install stuff like the klite codec pack. i haven't tried editing any of the files from my git2 yet; only viewed them. i have a feeling that whatever the OP is having trouble with is the same thing youtube had trouble with.

Before uploading to youtube you can convert it to MKV using MKVToolnix.
If you can convert it to AVI you can try some AVI Repair tool.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just remembered the best way to recover MP4 and MOV video files: Registrator Viewer
File > Repair broken file

MP4 repair.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Thats what i would do too ( registratorviewer fix broken file ) but to do that you will need a working file shot with same settings / hardware.

That been said i have used it to fix quite a fjew broken files from dashcam tests and what not, works perfect.

Reactions: Mtz
does the OP still here , he don t give any news so far ???

Hey guys, after going back and forth with Corel support, I bought version x8 and it ingests the Git2 files properly now. However, I have a black border (e.g. its using about 2/3 of the screen real estate of my other two video cameras) on some of the captured videos and some are fine. If you look at the Youtube video below, go to 3 min 21 second in and you will see a segment that came up with the black border. However, if you look at the "RexCam" part at about 2 mins, you will see the MP4 was in wider format. I am using a wrist remote - is there someway that I am switching back in forth between a wide format and not a wide format in the course of an hour of shooting?

GitUp is recording only as 16:9. Your recordings are 4K?

Well - I might have figured it out, as I had converted most of the Git2 MP4s to AVIs as a work around to be able to be ingested by VideoStudio x7 a week ago. I brought back some of the Git2 MP4s when Videostudio x8 could handle them natively. The native MP4s dont have the wasted space problem (e.g. the RexCam segment which is fine), so I think it was a problem with my AVI conversion process using VSDC which must have been flawed. I am going to do some playing around today with it and make sure it comes in clean and the resultant MP4s will go wide screen. Thanks for the help

When doing MP4 or MOV conversions to AVI use the MP4Cam2Avi program. It is not touching the video or audio quality because is only a conversion.
Using another softwares which are not smart enough to do such simple conversion can create problems for video editors.

As standard, AVI file is not containing the Aspect Ratio flag, but some programs like MP4Cam2Avi is adding also this information which is found (as standard) inside MP4 or MOV files.

For example the Git2 4K resolution is 4:3
Width : 2 880 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels (2880/2160=1.3333 = 4:3)
Display aspect ratio : 16:9

The played resolution is 2160*16/9=3840 --> 3840x2160 = 16>9:

Some editing softwares are ignoring this AR flag if is coming from AVI files and the user must set it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Hi, if you still can't figure it out, you probably need to try other video editors. The free mp4 video editor may allow you to recognize your mp4 files. And it can help convert the video into any other format. But it doesn't have enough video editing functions like VideoStudio X7. Anyway, it deserves you to have a try!

Last edited:
Sorry mates, this seems to be a related thread about video playback issues. I have a related question and would you mind my asking about it here and I really need an answer now? Recently I download a software as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html" (I hope somebody can help me check it when it's at your convenience) to repair one of my damaged MP4 file. The file did not contain audio output so I tried fixing it by converting it to another format. The conversion process was very successful and fast and there was audio output again. But I could not figure why after conversion, the video size got much bigger, did you ever meet such a kind of issue?

You have problems with your PC player.
Try playing the video with VLC or MPC-HC and you will see you have audio. Also you can check if the audio stream exists in a video file with MediaInfo (free)

The resulted video is bigger because that software is reencoding your video file. Always avoid reencoding of video files.

If you really want to reencode I suggest VSDC (it is really free!).

enjoy,
Mtz

Back