None of the low end cams seem very good. Action cam end up being a PITA?

bennybill23

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So been searching around for last month trying to figure out what dashcam to get.
everything I look at seems to have a mixed bag of good and bad reviews.

Im in upstate NY so get temp ranges from -30 up to the rare 100+ days so leaning towards a capacitor model

Thought I had one picked out the yi dash cam but have been waiting for the international version and then I read it has a battery not capacitor so im a bit turned off.

Looking at the a118/b40 or the g1w-c but reviews dont make me feel good about them. The street gaurdian looked good but has limited reviews and is pricey. But dont wanna spen $70 and have it die in 3 months and have to rebuy over and over

I was thinking of just getting something like the yi action cam but i hav a feeling it will either get to be a major pain to always turn it on or Ill just forget half the time and that defeats the purpose.

Any suggestions? Not looking for anything fancy but want and I know all the budget ones have not so great night views. Not sure if having a battery in it is a huge deal or not, but when I read they can start your car on fire I get scared off them.

batteries catching fire is not something that happens every day, the more immediate turnoff with battery powered cams is they just don't last in the car environment

I was thinking of just getting something like the yi action cam but i hav a feeling it will either get to be a major pain to always turn it on or Ill just forget half the time and that defeats the purpose.
If you have to turn it on every time then there is no point having it because it will not be on when you needed it!

You could try a GitUp Git1 action camera, that has autostart and loop recording and even delayed off, and although it has a battery, when it suffers from heat after 2 years, it can be changed in 10 seconds. It also has a much better night image than the Yi.

So been searching around for last month trying to figure out what dashcam to get.
everything I look at seems to have a mixed bag of good and bad reviews.

Im in upstate NY so get temp ranges from -30 up to the rare 100+ days so leaning towards a capacitor model

Thought I had one picked out the yi dash cam but have been waiting for the international version and then I read it has a battery not capacitor so im a bit turned off.

Looking at the a118/b40 or the g1w-c but reviews dont make me feel good about them. The street gaurdian looked good but has limited reviews and is pricey. But dont wanna spen $70 and have it die in 3 months and have to rebuy over and over

Any suggestions? Not looking for anything fancy but want and I know all the budget ones have not so great night views. Not sure if having a battery in it is a huge deal or not, but when I read they can start your car on fire I get scared off them.
If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a capacitor dashcam with good night quality, I suggest the MateGo MG380G.

Back