Noob: Where/Which to buy?

dashnoob

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking at the Xiaomi Dash Cam for a bit, but was hesitant to pull the trigger on the CN version, as there were comments about an English version. However, that appears to have been pushed back over and over.

While I've seen people be able to install the English firmware on the CN version, I'm a noob at this and am not sure I could successfully do it. Even if I could, I've also read about focus/lens issues with certain versions.

I'm now seeing 'International' versions available, but am still unsure if they're safe to purchase, or if they too could be the models with the focus/lens issues. Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase a proper version of the Xiaomi Yi Dashcam?

AMAZON - Supposedly 'Yi' but not Xiaomi Yi?
GeekBuying.com - Supposedly 'International' version?
GearBest.com - CN version, but how to install English firmware without bricking/ensuring no focus issue?

Buy from Amazon

GearsBest $59 2 week shipping, bad suction mount, but 2 port USB charger. Amazon: $71, 2 day shipping, rumored optimization to some things (Yi won't say), 1 port USB charger almost useless but 3m sticky mount. One is more portable but unstable, the other is more permanent but very stable. Firmware: Chinese version will always be more advanced/updated quicker than the US version. In the end I would buy the cheaper Gearbest and save $11

Gearbest version is grey market, better to pay the extra and buy locally with backing from Amazon should things not work out as expected

Actually the app from the app.mi.com is in English... You set the settings from the app itself once connected thru wifi...

You only set once the settings and forget about it...

I'm using the Xiaomi Yi dashcam and I can't read Chinese...

Appreciate the responses. A few different opinions, so you can see the cause for confusion. :)

I have the English one I bought from amazon and a Chinese language one from ebay.

They both work great, I would just buy on amazon as you will get it quicker.
and if something is wrong its an easy return on amazon

In UK cant get the amazon one yet. I got my international version via Geekbuying and it looks good. Everything works nicely and the app and english menus all are good.

Back