normal, fine, super fine bit rate

tinman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last test I'm doing before installing into the car.

The test was done for normal, fine, and super fine setting with the front and rear camera connected. The parking guard is ON and the motion detect is ON. This is to cause the cam to go into low fps mode.

First up is the front camera. Recording of the audio did not affect the bitrate. A few curious thing to note:
  • is that according to media info, the 720p@2fps recording was reported back as 30fps.
  • Another weird thing, even if the audio recording is disabled, for the 1080p@30fps and 720p@30fps, mediainfo reported there is an audio stream. When playing the video, there is no sound coming out, so yes, it's not recording audio, but wasting space with the audio stream entry
  • In the 720p@2fps setting, mediainfo reported that there is no audio stream entry all the time, that is, the audio is not recorded regardless of the audio recording setting. Which begs the question, why save a audio stream entry when the audio recording is set to OFF?
upload_2017-9-29_15-57-32.png

Next up is the rear camera

upload_2017-9-29_15-57-49.png

MediaInfo for the rear @ fine

upload_2017-9-29_16-7-29.png

upload_2017-9-29_16-7-39.png

upload_2017-9-29_16-7-45.png

the wasted space is negligible, nothing to worry about

the 30fps frame rate reported on the timelapse setting will be so the player can play it back at a speed you can watch it at easily

What about comparisons of the image to show if superfine is actually worth it or not? As I remember on my 0803 superfine just added more grain to the image and not actually any more detail, so it was pointless to use it.

All this was done indoor, so the image comparison is useless since the actual usage case would be in the outdoors.

I will definitely be testing that setting in actual driving conditions. No point in increasing the bitrate if it doesn't translate to better video quality.

As I remember on my 0803 superfine just added more grain to the image and not actually any more detail, so it was pointless to use it.

0803 was made by a different manufacturer, it also used an Ambarella chipset so the results achieved may have no relationship to what you'll get here anyway

What about comparisons of the image to show if superfine is actually worth it or not? As I remember on my 0803 superfine just added more grain to the image and not actually any more detail, so it was pointless to use it.

0803 was made by a different manufacturer, it also used an Ambarella chipset so the results achieved may have no relationship to what you'll get here anyway

Just did some comparisons between Normal, Fine, and Super Fine. It was all nighttime footage, and I will test daytime footage when I can, but I can see a small improvement in video quality in Super Fine over the other 2 settings. Although it is ever so slightly better, I am not sure if it is worth the massive bump in file size. 50% larger file for 5% improvement between Fine and Super Fine. 100% larger file for 10% improvement between Normal and Super Fine. Hmmmm?

Slightly off topic, one thing I did observe was the difference in quality between leaving the CPL filter on at night vs. removing it. I used to not bother, but after seeing what a drastic difference it made, I am keeping the case for the CPL filter in the car and taking it off if I am driving at night. I already figured out the optimal position at which the filter works, and since it has a little white mark on it, it will be easy to put back on without having to readjust it.

there is no sound recorded for 2fps recording.

for the CPL, yes it will reduce light a lot, which will generate a big difference in low light condition.

Back