Not a Happy Camper with the A139

I will update soon or later.

But if there is anything wrong with your cables, me doing testing on my cables (either Viofo's ones or my own) won't help you by any way.

But this is still wrong, you should get "3Ch started" right away.

If you are not aware of anything done differently back then I think the only difference is that one of the wires got moved a bit and the contact is better (for now) But thanks to you now we know they probably (I assume) changed something to be more tolerant to "bad" connection.

1st test I didn't reset Settings but it was stuck in a 2 channel boot loop. I did try removing cords and couldn't get it to see 3 channel. 2nd attempt (video posted) it worked immediately but first boots to 2 channel, before boot looping to 3. Then stays in 3 channel.

So the boot loop only happens once after flashing, then stays in 3 channel. UNLESS you remove power cable and other cords (where it loses power completely and connectivity). Then it'll do the 2 channel boot loop to 3 channel.

My guess first time didn't flash properly...But why it does the 2 channel to 3 channel bootloop I don't know.

On firmware Version 1.2, this is NOT an issue at all. Again, I don't know why. But seeing it works fine on 1.2, it leads me to believe cables are not at fault.

I'm a very thorough tester though.....And am pretty good at finding these issues.

Last edited:
@HonestReview when you change FW, do you then make sure to reset to default settings and format the card before using the camera again? Not saying this will fix anything for you, but it's good practice to avoid glitches when upgrading or downgrading the FW.

Yes, I know Viofo don't recommend this on their website instructions for updating FW. The instructions on the SG website are more comprehensive and I would regard them as best practice.

1st test I didn't reset Settings but it was stuck in a 2 channel boot loop. I did try removing cords and couldn't get it to see 3 channel. 2nd attempt (video posted) it worked immediately but first boots to 2 channel, before boot looping to 3. Then stays in 3 channel.

So the boot loop only happens once after flashing, then stays in 3 channel. UNLESS you remove power cable and other cords (where it loses power completely and connectivity). Then it'll do the 2 channel boot loop to 3 channel.

But have you tried to swap the inputs? That's what I've asked you before.

Anyway, I flashed v1.2 and haven't noticed any difference. What surprised me more is that you mentioned something about "3 Channel Parking Recording", never heard such quote before, nor even on v1.2. But I quickly quit my testing of v1.2 because v1.6 appeared :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don't think the cords are an issue. Since the camera DOES enter 3 channel after a boot loop. Then remains on 3 channel unless all cords are removed and power is taken away for a minute or 2.

And the fact version 1.2 always works in 3 channels would lead me to believe the cords are fine.

I want to try version 1.6. So will do that =).

Viofo is sending me out a new camera.

I will test swapping cables and see if it does anything weird before flashing to 1.6.

Swapping cables worked a few times, then froze camera after about 2-3 tests. Camera would not work again until plugging cables back in normally. During plugging back in normally, I did get 2 channel message once.

Asked Viofo if they can send me a new interior camera cable. Eliminate all possibilities for failure here. Hope they will as it looks like package for replacement camera has already shipped.

Last edited:
Hold on a second, I didn't mean to swap the cameras constantly until it fails :ROFLMAO: . You've said that on v1.1 your internal camera had hard time to work (it's a bit hard to test if it works now, I know), so by swapping the cameras you should get the same issue (only 2Ch) with the same cable+cam or with the same input.

Anyway, you are going to find out after they replace the front unit.

Meh...I'd choose one with AV1 over H265 any day of the week if such hardware was available. :)
It's 30% more efficient than H265, open source, and royalty free.
Which dashcams support AV1? I'm not as familiar with that codec, but open source and royalty free sounds great. :)

I'm running numbers now on H.264 vs. H.265 at max bitrate.

H.265 drops file sizes on the front cam by 14% and on the rear and interior cams by 4%.

I haven't tested the other bitrates since I like sticking in a large card and running at max bitrate, lol. I was hoping for a little more savings, but a 14% savings on the front cam is a welcome change, especially when quickly filling up cards recording on 3 cameras at once.

Has anyone tested a 512 gig card on the A139? I'm running a 256 gig card currently. I just ordered a 512 during Prime Day, but I'm guessing someone already tried this out.

Hold on a second, I didn't mean to swap the cameras constantly until it fails :ROFLMAO: . You've said that on v1.1 your internal camera had hard time to work (it's a bit hard to test if it works now, I know), so by swapping the cameras you should get the same issue (only 2Ch) with the same cable+cam or with the same input.

LOL. Well anyway, it does that 2 Channel Error Message on Flashing down to 1.1 or removing Power + Remove Cables Long Enough, Plug back in.

Swapping Interior Cable to Rear and Rear Cable to Interior Didn't Generate an Error Immediately.

So not sure honestly, if maybe Interior Cable has issue or if Firmware 1.1 is Issue and just buggy.

As I never had 2 Channel error with Interior or Rear Cable on firmware 1.2.

Yes, they are sending new camera. I think replacement already shipped, but I sent follow up email about interior cable. Might be good to change (since it's easy to do). To eliminate all possible failures. In case Interior Cable is faulty

Note: Camera still works fine. Interior Cable Works. But I was "Curious" because Interior Cable is the one Missing on 1.1, if either Cable Faulty and Firmware 1.1 is "More Sensitive", or if it is just Normal Behavior since interior Cable works in Firmware 1.2

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Which dashcams support AV1? I'm not as familiar with that codec, but open source and royalty free sounds great. :)
I don't think any dashcams support AV1 yet, it is still too new to have got into the current dashcam processors. It is starting to appear in various devices though, so may well get into the next generation of dashcam processors and can presumably then be included at low cost. H265 does have licensing issues since it is not royalty free, which is why it is a hidden feature on some cameras, so AV1 will probably replace H265 once available. It also does a nicer job of the compression, avoiding much of the pixelation we see from H264/H265 when there is insufficient bitrate.

I'm running numbers now on H.264 vs. H.265 at max bitrate.

H.265 drops file sizes on the front cam by 14% and on the rear and interior cams by 4%.
The bitrates/file sizes you get are chosen by the dashcam manufacturer, they could just as easily increase them when you select H265, they do not indicate how effective H265 is at compression!

Generally with dashcam video, a lower bitrate from H265 than H264 will result in lower image quality, you are not getting something for nothing when you save that space. You do however save the space, so if I am doing a long journey where I want to record the whole journey I will sometimes select H265 because it is just a button press, easier than going into the menu and selecting medium bitrate. If I want best video quality then I will select H264 because that comes with the highest bitrate.

I haven't tested the other bitrates since I like sticking in a large card and running at max bitrate, lol. I was hoping for a little more savings, but a 14% savings on the front cam is a welcome change, especially when quickly filling up cards recording on 3 cameras at once.
If you want more savings, just reduce the bitrate setting from maximum. Medium may not be as good quality, but it does give a big space saving/significantly longer record time and is adequate for most purposes.

Has anyone tested a 512 gig card on the A139? I'm running a 256 gig card currently. I just ordered a 512 during Prime Day, but I'm guessing someone already tried this out.
I'm fairly sure it works on the A139, and that it is the largest that does work, but haven't tried myself.
Let us know your test result...

Let me clarify a bit here. I didn't break anything. My Rear Mini Coax Cable Works fine. My Interior Mini Coax Cable Works still.

Flashing to Firmware version 1.6 to test station mode went flawless except station mode disables when car is shutoff.

My Concern: The Rear Camera Coax fits VERY SNUG into camera. Hard as hell to remove. The Interior Camera Coax to Main Camera is "semi snug". It just doesn't feel as tight as when removing the Rear Coax. The Interior Cable removes much easier with less force.

So seeing how I am having the camera "Freeze Up" and the weird issue ONLY on 1.1, I just wondered if interior cable would benefit from being replaced. Just to eliminate ANY AND ALL possibilities for failure after Main Camera Replaced.

Last edited:
Couple addendums.

1. I will heat test firmware version 1.6. Why not. Will start test in most favorable conditions of 1080p FHD-FHD-FHD and h.x264. See what happens.
2. I will then flash back to firmware 1.1 and run same test on FHD-FHD-FHD and h.x264

I have station mode working on 1.6 and verified I can access via http:// and rtsp. So that was goal there. Nothing more needs done.

My interior cable DOES WORK. It's just not a SUPER SNUG fit. The rear cable takes a LOT of force to remove. The interior cable pops out pretty easy for most part. So not as snug. But it 100% works on other firmwares.

None the less: Viofo has mailed me out a new main body camera and revised cable for interior + rear to work with the lock.

I don't want to rewire my car, so I'll take the interior cable and replace it. But leave rear cable alone. So long as it will not obstruct using the lock. Removal of "rear camera" cable on lock isn't huge deal. Front and interior are what matters.

My A139 are currently running a 6 hour parking guard test, parked with the back of the car facing the sun, and the interior camera have been disconnected so just 2 channels.
Not super hot here today, still the car cabin is not a place i will sit for long.

I had to slide the camera off the mount to pull the interior camera plug, it was in there quite well.

Going for a short drive within long to retrieve memory card and get the car washed.

My A139 are currently running a 6 hour parking guard test, parked with the back of the car facing the sun, and the interior camera have been disconnected so just 2 channels.
Not super hot here today, still the car cabin is not a place i will sit for long.

I had to slide the camera off the mount to pull the interior camera plug, it was in there quite well.

Going for a short drive within long to retrieve memory card and get the car washed.

Why 2 channel and not 3? Camera not functioning on a hot day in 3 channel?

No apparently not, but also the same on cold nights, i have attempted 4-5 six hour parking guard sessions so far several of them when it have been cold / at night, but only 1 time have the camera recorded the full 6 hours.
Though hard to say as i am not able to 100 % replicate the same test conditions.
Today the A139 pulled a fast one on me, so me expecting it to have failed,,,,,, well i was wrong. :cool:

A139start.jpg
A139stop.jpg

I am testing again tomorrow but this time with the car facing whatever little sun we might get, there are cloud symbols on the weather gurus chart for the whole day.
Next Wednesday and a few days on from there should be sunny again, though still not 30 deg C

This is with the FW dated 20210324.

Last edited:
I believe murder is illegal in Denmark. Looks like you're carrying a Body Bag LOL!

hehe thats my XXL sleeping bag, plenty of room for me, and also a girl if need be.
I just cant be bothered with rolling it up tight and use its proper bag, so a trash bag is fine + it can also have a pillow and a pair of pants for when it get cold,,,,,, well on one side of the body at least.

Later in the night glasses, ice cubes and assorted bottles of alcohol was brought out for our enjoyment.

Last edited:
Okay i have done 2 more 6 hour attempts of parking guard, last evening and into the night, but the camera did not make it to 6 hours but it was close.
Then again this afternoon, but again the A139 did not go the distance, stopped about 3-4 hours into the session.
Needless to say last night was no heat problem, and i dont think today's afternoon session was either, it was colder than the day before when the A139 did do 6 hours in the afternoon.

This are still just 2 channel mode ( F & R )

Only BUT ! is that i am running the front camera in 60 FPS and so the parking mode files are just over 200 MB VS the 180 or so they are when the front camera are in 30 FPS mode.
I will change to 30 FPS on the front camera tomorrow and continue testing with that ( the session on Thursday that also worked was also with 30 FPS )

I think there might be a chance of select able options that are not good with parking mode at least,,,,, i have yet to see the system misbehave in driving mode.
The 60 FPS low bitrate parking files are indeed 60 FPS and here 10 mbit VS the 8 mbit in 30 FPS mode.

The show must go on ! :)

Well folks, still no problems of any kind here. FW V1.2_0507, vid settings maxxed out, low bitrate parking, Samsung Evo Select in 128GB and 64GB sizes. 4 parking sessions since last report, one went the 6 hoirs on the timer, one went ~4 hours, and the other two were ~10 minutes and ~5 minutes. Outside temps 86F/ 30C, 88F/ 31C with van closed (longer sessions) and windows down for the rest.

If rain permits, will do a heat gun test tomorrow using this FW.

Phil

Ive been busy. I ran a less than scientific test today, but I am not sure the results.

On firmware 1.6 I came out to find the camera shut off (sunny but also cloudy). So the camera felt hot, and my initial suspicions were the camera shut itself down. I also didn't swap it over to FHD-FHD-FHD h.x264 and it was running 2k-FHD-FHD h.x265.

Now the thing I don't know is if the hardwire kit cut off camera or the camera just overheated. AS I DID NOT have a corrupted file and the last file written was a full 5 minutes in length.

Ill need to run more tests to see what the true result is here. I'm leaning towards voltage cutoff but I would absolutely love to be wrong and find out that file corruption was a firmware bug.

Now the thing I don't know is if the hardwire kit cut off camera or the camera just overheated. AS I DID NOT have a corrupted file and the last file written was a full 5 minutes in length.

Ill need to run more tests to see what the true result is here. I'm leaning towards voltage cutoff but I would absolutely love to be wrong and find out that file corruption was a firmware bug.
chances of your timer cutout, or voltage cutoff, exactly coinciding with the precise end of a file set are very long odds

Back