Not all micro SD cards are created equal .... often the source of recording troubles.

mikeroch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Nextbase 312GWs, one came with a Nextbase SD card installed and works fine... the other did not (and DOES not!). I bought a proper high speed SD card for the latter with the 10 rating, was delighted to note that it recorded just fine, so set it to work and thought no more about it. On reviewing the recorded files all played well until about file No. 20 but thereafter the files appeared OK on the SD card taking up the same amount of memory, but would not play. Researched around and discovered that SD cards with the U3 designation (ultra high speed) as required for 'Go Pro' and other action-cams, could be the answer. Bought one.... it works. They cost a bit more but, for me at least, they've solved my problem.

U3 disc (Large).jpg click to enlarge

Memory cards are designed to write short bursts onto an unfragmented card.
Dashcams do the opposite: long writes onto very fragmented cards.

In my experience, Samsung, Sandisk, Transcend, Toshiba, Lexar do well in dashcams even though they don't claim to be fast/high-performance cards.
Also in my experience, Kingston cards give a lot of problems.

Kingston i had a lot of die and RMA, but at first it was also the only brand i had, so its only natural, after that it is treancend, again cuz i have had a lot of them and almost dont use anything else ( kindly forwarded to me by a well known forum member )
TBH i have been running a kingstom endurance for a year in my SG9663DC and it have given me no grief yet, but it is the only kingston card i have, but i trust it enough to be in my main F/R camera.

Incompatibility between camera and memory cards are not really anything i have ever experienced, and i always run a slew of different memory cards thru any new camera i get.
I once had one weird memory card that just would not work in one camera, but it worked fine in all other cameras, and a similar card did also work in that one camera so it was not the brand / model of memory card ( this was a kingston card )

I do think it is strange that memory cards, for which there are strict standards, can still cause that many issues.
But it is a well know phenomenon, my PC are also crammed full of RAM especially well suited for AMD Ryzen based possessors ( though i am on a threadripper )
And while i can run my prosessor and RAM at the nominal speed of the RAM ( 3600 MHZ ) that i can only do with 16 or 32 GB in the machine, when i reached 48 GB that was no longer the option ( plug and play / XMP profile ) so i have had to tweak on the RAM in the bios to get it to run 3500 MHZ, and i am going to leave it there as i cant really be bothered.

Back