Not happy with A119S

baltutis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought an A119S from Amazon (RtTech).
Before purchase read reviews, watched clips on youtube.
Unfortunately my device capture poor quality clips. Picture blurry in RIGHT side (not in left side like in topic about A119S Disassemble & Lens Alignment & Refocus)
Picture quality in left side 6 of 10, picture quality in centre 8 of 10, but in right side 4 of 10.
Number plates:
If vehicle in same line - acceptable quality.
If vehicles drive in lines beside (left or right) then sometimes hard read number plates.
Often impossible read oncoming traffic number plates.
On picture visible dashboard reflection on windscreen.
After couple days start 'blinking' screen. Look like problems with refresh rate. Camera stop working couple times (freezing), few times received MEMORY ERROR message. Later found that there problem with bad contact between GPS mount and camera.
Display not 'blinking' and no Memory Errors when power plug connected direct to camera (not GPS mount).
Night time picture - very bad quality (glare, a lot white dots on picture, not sure these dots come from camera sensor or windscreen, number plates mostly invisible).

Next week return camera to seller and try find another (hope better) camera.

If you're wanting to get a new one, Try the newer A119S V2 (in stock April 15th on Amazon, pre-orders now open).

I would suggest uploading sample clips recorded with your camera. Might be the case that your windscreen condition affects image quality, hence the new unit or different dashcam might produce inadequate quality image.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Today posted back camera to Amazon.
Unfortunately can't upload video to YouTube, because YouTube reduce quality to 360p.
Tested camera outside vehicle - no significant difference between video from inside vehicle and outside vehicle. Main difference dashboard reflection on windscreen.
Number plates anyway not clear.
Another problem windscreen mount construction - seems this mount not suitable for frequency camera remove and attaching.
Need new mount construction.

Any pictures of it?

This one?
51vqZdGwR1L.jpg

But no updated picture of the back of the camera? Or is the back unchanged?

V2 camera Back looks the same but isn't compatible with original V1 GPS mount. (And the other way is true as well, new V2 GPS mount is not compatible with V1 A119/A119S) designated pin out is different per contact. The serial number will say V2 on the back.

I think need complete new mount design.
There problems not only with contacts between mount and camera, but plastic part which connects mount and camera too need improvement.

Dashcam posted back to Amazon this morning and already received refund.

When back from holidays try find another dashcam. Maybe Viofo, maybe another brand.

This is why EVA compression foam was also added. Just add a stick on piece and it's solid. (Not shown in photos yet)

V2 camera Back looks the same but isn't compatible with original V1 GPS mount. (And the other way is true as well, new V2 GPS mount is not compatible with V1 A119/A119S) designated pin out is different per contact. The serial number will say V2 on the back.

This still blows my mind... WHY would they redesign the mount and NOT make it backwards-compatible????

I think need complete new mount design.
There problems not only with contacts between mount and camera, but plastic part which connects mount and camera too need improvement.

Dashcam posted back to Amazon this morning and already received refund.

When back from holidays try find another dashcam. Maybe Viofo, maybe another brand.
if you like form factor of A119, you may interest in sg9665gc. It's same form factor but i am sure you wont have any problem with mount, connection or something similiar. :)

This still blows my mind... WHY would they redesign the mount and NOT make it backwards-compatible????

My guess is that it was to increase over all power stability moving power connections to the most stable part of the mount. (Assuming here)

My guess is that it was to increase over all power and stability moving power connections to the most stable part of the mount. (Assuming here)

This solution reminds of how a battery slots into a mobile phone and convinced me to buy the V2

The GPS is powered on top and doesn't need another cable

if you like form factor of A119, you may interest in sg9665gc. It's same form factor but i am sure you wont have any problem with mount, connection or something similiar. :)
That is a very nice feature with the SG9665GC as those things are compatible with each new model.

This is pretty much my 119s as well. After having it for a bit. Blurry right side, sub par quality compared to 119s reviews, and of course the lovely "white spots" or hot pixels (which I'm still waiting to hear on for ENGMODE to try and map these out).

I have a few friends who have even said that my 118 looks a lot better daytime (more to do with focus).

I know these cameras are not $400 Blackvues. But the quality of these 119s coming out of the factory match that of a $30 ebay Chinese knockoff.

Example of right side blurriness and unacceptable quality:
rOYOMzt.jpg

Back