Not happy with camera footage quality.

@NKato have you tried looking at the truck a few frames earlier? 4K cameras sometimes resolve details better when the subject is further away than with a 1080p camera.

As Nigel points out, sometimes it can be harder to capture number plates at the edge of the frame, when relative movement across the sensor is higher and your windscreen curvature can cause distortion.

Yes. And it is still garbage.

I turned off HDR today and drove a bit, it improved but only slightly. I've installed a 128GB SD card from Samsung just now, and I will be testing that tomorrow morning.

I'm actually starting to think about just getting a narrower FOV, the BlackVue has 120 degrees of FOV, which is pretty big. It's nice, but excessive. 90 degrees is adequate, IMO. I'm starting to research police-grade dash cameras, if any exist for the general market...if anyone has information on that I'm open to it.

I've had this product since November 2018, recommended by YouTuber Vortex. It has Parking Mode which is great. Have the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB SD which can record and store 7 hours of footage on max graphics settings.

Granted the 4k from the front cam is not perfect. The recommended bit-rate for 4k videos according to YouTube and Google is something like around 50 bitrate but Blackvue only does 20-30 bitrate with a bunch of compression probably. It's still better than any 1080p and 1444p Navman product from my experience. The front camera also doesn't do very well in low light (cloudy shadowy day time), but works ok at night. The front cam also has a wide lens which makes the video smaller but offers a wider range of view. The rear cam doesn't have as wide range of view, about the same as a Samsung Galaxy S9's front cam phone but with less visual fidelity.

If you take away your windscreen, that may improve visual graphics, without all the light reflecting. I have the officially recommended CPL filter for the front dash cam. I've noticed with it that it does deteriorate the video quality a bit and you're still getting some reflection and glare though not as bad as without a CPL filter. Also the CPL filter makes the sky bright yellowy blue on sunny days at times.

If you take away your windscreen, that may improve visual graphics, without all the light reflecting. I have the officially recommended CPL filter for the front dash cam. I've noticed with it that it does deteriorate the video quality a bit and you're still getting some reflection and glare though not as bad as without a CPL filter. Also the CPL filter makes the sky bright yellowy blue on sunny days at times.

All of what you've said still doesn't explain the obviously shoddy video quality itself. I've gotten some responses from BlackVue but they think I uploaded the videos to Google Drive wrong (when they were actually just viewing it in the Drive's video viewer, which often downsamples -- they should be direct-downloading the files off the Google Drive...), so I'm not getting any real solid troubleshooting solutions from them at the moment. They have until Wednesday next week to correct this before I send it back for a refund. The quality is inexcusable.

Skybird, it's from your comments that leads me to believe you didn't actually look at all the proof I posted. A 4k camera should be able to get clear license plates even from ten feet in front of me. This one does not, and that is a serious problem.

So it seems nobody has any real idea why my supposed 4K UHD Dash Cam is doing this?

I'm going to be trying the other non-extreme codec settings, but I am not holding out a lot of hope for improvement. I also have a 128GB Samsung SD card waiting for me at the apartment office to pick up later today.
The 4k feature in that camera seems more like software upscale thing just to fit in a larger screen format better but not improving quality significantly and honestly, in my opinion, as of today, I think some of the viofo models achieve better image quality even though is 2k or maybe less than that. Viofo cameras may not have all the bells and whistles as the more ridiculously expensive ones but in my opinion (again) they are the best overall dash cameras in the market as today. More money doesn’t necessarily means you get “better”. My Viofo a119s does better than that after the MOD-6Vk firmware provided by BC Hobbyist and I believe there is another viofo model better than mine for image quality, just not sure which one is exactly.

The 4k feature in that camera seems more like software upscale thing just to fit in a larger screen format better but not improving quality significantly and honestly, in my opinion, as of today, I think some of the viofo models achieve better image quality even though is 2k or maybe less than that. Viofo cameras may not have all the bells and whistles as the more ridiculously expensive ones but in my opinion (again) they are the best overall dash cameras in the market as today. More money doesn’t necessarily means you get “better”. My Viofo a119s does better than that after the MOD-6Vk firmware provided by BC Hobbyist and I believe there is another viofo model better than mine for image quality, just not sure which one is exactly.

I agree. I also tried running the BlackVue today with my new SD card, and it didn't really improve the quality at all. I think I'm done with this camera, and everything is coming off on Tuesday to prepare for the return -- I'm going to get a refund and then buy a Viofo A129 -- or if the manufacturer allows me, an A129 Pro to test out.

I agree. I also tried running the BlackVue today with my new SD card, and it didn't really improve the quality at all. I think I'm done with this camera, and everything is coming off on Tuesday to prepare for the return -- I'm going to get a refund and then buy a Viofo A129 -- or if the manufacturer allows me, an A129 Pro to test out.
While Viofo cameras are not perfect either I think you will be happier with one of them and returning the one you have already will be a safe decision.
Hopefully the manufacturer allows you to get one of the A129 Pro and help to unfold the kinks as they come to make the product even better. Heck, I wouldn’t mind to help testing one of them myself.

We'd like to offer one A129 PRO sample for you to test, I will PM you.

But please notice 4K dash cam night video quality is not great while the light is not so good.

We have done many testing for different brands 4K dash cam for different hardware solutions, currently there is no perfect great 4K dash camera for night recording.

But please notice 4K dash cam night video quality is not great while the light is not so good.

We have done many testing for different brands 4K dash cam for different hardware solutions, currently there is no perfect great 4K dash camera for night recording.
PM response sent. Thank you. :)

Reactions: EGS
PM response sent. Thank you. :)
Keep us updated of the results...

Like Viofo says, no 4K dashcam is the best for night time, but the A129 Pro is not far behind the A129 Duo, and if you stop so that there is no motion blur then the Pro wins easily even at night.

Haaaaa?! That supposed to be a surprise! You must be fun at parties... :p

OP, welcome to the club! I check tracking info every minute for my sample. :ROFLMAO:

There isn’t anything wrong with the footage. Basicaly the bitrate is too low for such dynamic scene, therefore a DR900S isn’t able to “catch” upcomming traffic even in “normal” speed(with good light conditions).

What bitrate the blackvue is running on when set to 4k? I just came back from the Viofo A129 pro section and I watched footage shot at 4k with 50MB/s bitrate.
I'm hesitating between the Viofo A129 Pro 4k and the blackvue DR900S, was leaning towards the blackvue because I read here and there that it was considered the best 4k dashcam but now I'm not so sure anymore

25.9Mbps at max in 2-channel (not sure about 1-channel, i think it’s the same)

Thanks for the input.
I will keep digging information in the forum to make up my mind and find the right dashcam for me

What bitrate the blackvue is running on when set to 4k? I just came back from the Viofo A129 pro section and I watched footage shot at 4k with 50MB/s bitrate.
I'm hesitating between the Viofo A129 Pro 4k and the blackvue DR900S, was leaning towards the blackvue because I read here and there that it was considered the best 4k dashcam but now I'm not so sure anymore

So I was in the same position as you regarding choosing a new dashcam. I wanted top end and was considering the Blackvue DR900S-2CH and the just launched Thinkware U1000. I also heard the new 4K Viofo A129 Pro Duo was coming this year.

Personally I say don't bother with Blackvue or Thinkware. I'd go with the new 4K Viofo A129 Pro Duo. After heavy research on all top end models I ordered the A129 Pro Duo this week.

I viewed the raw footage from my friends DR900S-2CH before purchase this week and it looks very much the same as what was posted in this thread. It's just not that good. Why pay $900 or so for image quality like that? It’s a dashcam - it's number one priority should be image clarity and unit reliability. I also hear the DR900S overheats in hot weather. My friend tells me his Blackvue has shutdown on those hot aussie summer days on occasion.

All of that put me off the Blackvue honestly. I really wanted to like the Blackvue. Had my eye on it for a while. Also looking at the Thinkware U1000, I don't think it's image quality is that good either. Not as good as the 129 Pro Duo in my view.

You said you viewed some footage in the A129 Pro forums. Was it this from Nigel?:

I was seriously prepared to but glad I didn't spend $900ish-AUD on this Blackvue or the Thinkware U1000.

I ordered from a Viofo authorized reseller on Ebay Australia. They have it 15% off till this Sunday 20th October with free overnight shipping. Well worth it, especially with the discount.

Anyway my views on the matter. Hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:
You said you viewed some footage in the A129 Pro forums. Was it this from Nigel?:
I like a dashcam that can take my holiday snaps for me :)

Although a little bit more than the 60 Mb/s maximum bitrate would be good for smooth skies when there is a lot of detail to record, not needed for evidence reasons, but nice for the holiday snaps:

y4mfVcD84wrS2ICp0rlbj8LXZtWXHJEDEUmRM9uniqkj5CnMTPsMVLtL109O4SFX5UAirRqFHic7tV-7nX-_yNS3yIiLR7SxkD5M9CviJMb0jSZw5YAddZ-jueyde4qNF0rFyvlFAd2Remib3prAiJHelI3afBLXQ-fZQNcvkpxn53vMXy-oEnjCbcj9DBYFpi1

Unfortunately, even the A129-Pro has few weaknesses.

Level of details of IQ is really nice (especially in higher speeds - DR900S is complete mess) but in lower light conditions it struggles sometimes and licence plates are smeared (surprisingly, DR900S is able to get the numbers). Then there are another things you have to consider -for example the cables are brutaly thicker on A129 Pro. DR900S has nice thin coaxial cable, A129-Pro uses 4 times thicker USB cable. Even the Cloud (when it works and you have AP in your car) is usefull.

YRIlQNC.jpg
V6IgljM.jpg

ZAqmBuk.jpg
fDkpnmn.jpg

Last edited:
So I was in the same position as you regarding choosing a new dashcam. I wanted top end and was considering the Blackvue DR900S-2CH and the just launched Thinkware U1000. I also heard the new 4K Viofo A129 Pro Duo was coming this year.

Personally I say don't bother with Blackvue or Thinkware. I'd go with the new 4K Viofo A129 Pro Duo. After heavy research on all top end models I ordered the A129 Pro Duo this week.

I viewed the raw footage from my friends DR900S-2CH before purchase this week and it looks very much the same as what was posted in this thread. It's just not that good. Why pay $900 or so for image quality like that? It’s a dashcam - it's number one priority should be image clarity and unit reliability. I also hear the DR900S overheats in hot weather. My friend tells me his Blackvue has shutdown on those hot aussie summer days on occasion.

All of that put me off the Blackvue honestly. I really wanted to like the Blackvue. Had my eye on it for a while. Also looking at the Thinkware U1000, I don't think it's image quality is that good either. Not as good as the 129 Pro Duo in my view.

I was seriously prepared to but glad I didn't spend $900ish-AUD on this Blackvue or the Thinkware U1000.

I ordered from a Viofo authorized reseller on Ebay Australia. They have it 15% off till this Sunday 20th October with free overnight shipping. Well worth it, especially with the discount.

Anyway my views on the matter. Hope you find something that works for you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with me.
Sounds like we really were in the same position regarding the purchase of a dashcam. Like you I wasn't on a budget and was ready/happy to shell out $900ish-AUD if it meant getting a superior product that delivered better-than-the-competition video quality that would increase the chances of being able to read licence plate on video footages. That is my primarily purchase criteria for a dashcam and because this is the most important one, I'm happy to pay extra to get that.

However if in reality the quality is actually similar to a 4k dashcam half the price of the blackvue in my eye that doesn't justify anymore the extra cost.

Again, like you I really wanted to like the blackvue, I'll be honest, for a totally shallow and not so rational reason, because it looked cool. I like the cylindrical shape and mostly I like its small small footprint. One of my another criteria for a dashcam (this one optional) was that I wanted a dashcam small enough so I could hide it behind my interior mirror and not see it at all from the driver seat. However I'm ready to pay double the price only for that and I'm happy to compromise.

Because I only started looking for a dashcam really recently I'm yet to be familiar with Viofo authorized resellers on ebay. If it's not too much to ask would be able to pm the link to the ebay seller you mentionned?

Again thank you for your input that was really helpful.

Back