Not looping/overwriting old files, "Card Full"

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
I seem to be having an issue where it will sometimes not record anything when i first start the car. it's not consistent either. i've tried 1 3 and 5 minute loop times and so far 5 seems to be ok - i plugged it in on my desk and left it pointed at a clock for like 8 hours and it did fine. i power cycled it a few times as well, just to simulate the car stopping/starting, but it behaved normally in the house. right now it's behaving normally in the car. i have also formatted the sd card in the camera more than once, including when i first got the camera. firmware is latest version, 0523.

taking teh card out, putting it in an SD adapter and plugging it straight to my laptop showed no errors. every file i tried opened just fine. chkdsk showed no errors even when searching for bad sectors.

i did not have a RO folder on the sd card at all, so it's not because it's full of locked files. that said, i turned off the G sensor anyway, just in case. right now it's set on a 5 minute loop - 3 and 1 both gave me issues in the car in under a week after working normally for a while - they were initially overwriting old files, but for whatever reason, the 1 and 3 minute loop times quit overwriting after a while.

sd card is a ridata 32gb class 10 that was included with the camera as a package deal from spytec. if it starts flaking out on 5 minute loop time, i also have a 32gb transcend class 10 card in my phone that i might swap into the camera (just gotta move all my stuff off the phone's card first).

i know @MARINE said he was having loop issues and possibly some other users as well. could everyone else post up their issues with loop recording and see if maybe we can come up with some sort of pattern?

ok then if it's a known bug in this 2+ month old firmware, are they going to release a new version to fix it? if not i predict a lot of these cameras will be getting returned. damn shame since it's such a nice form factor.

can't tell you, you have the generic product version, not sure what level of support they offer

I too have the same issue - noticed today upon start up that the "Card Full" appeared on the screen and the only way around this for me was to format SD card - not a very effective way of monitoring if one has to continue to keep an eye out for the card full message.
So seems there is no fix for this?
Even with the latest firmware loaded, it seems the problem still exists and the looping isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

thanks mate - I will check tonight and advise - just out of curiosity what difference would it make as I'm thinking it's a software issue - have I misunderstood it?

Sandisk Class 10 U1 cards can be a problem, likewise cards greater than 32gb can be a problem also

ok - thanks very much - I am sure the card in the camera is only 16gb for sure - I now need to check the brand - for my help, how do you know if it is a Class 10 U1?

class 10 logo looks like the number 10 inside a letter C, and the Ultra1 is a 1 inside a U. other classes have lower numbers inside a C and no ultra ratings.

class 10 = ultra 1

Just checked my SD card in the dash cam - it's a 16GB Class 4 Scandisk. Does this card create the problem I'm experiencing? I'm seeing the Card Full error.

Sandisk cards can be a problem but generally the Class10 cards, Class4 should be ok, that said though the generic version product firmware still needs some work so it might be something out of your control, notice even on the generic versions not many complain of this issue so that may come down to card choice, another card may work better for you, we supply Kingston Class10 cards with ours, a lot of changes in our firmware though so not really a fair comparison

Thank you - I'll give the Kingston a trial. Regarding firmware for this dash cam - is this something you share?

You mentioned that the OP has a generic version of the camera. Are you saying that other versions have different firmware that do not have this problem? Is there a way to identify the generic versus non-generic versions of the camera?

I'd been planning to buy two of these cameras but if there's a reasonable chance the firmware is going to be buggy like this, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

You mentioned that the OP has a generic version of the camera. Are you saying that other versions have different firmware that do not have this problem?

yes, a newer firmware has been released for the non branded product so things may have changed for the generic versions

Thank you - just for clarity what version is the latest firmware please . Cheers

Back