Not often

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
you get the opportunity to have a load of differing cameras and test them all side by side on a dark night like this...

0803, 0805, 0806, gt680w, g1wh, koonlung c75, streetstorm A7810 pro, K1s and a gaggle of Mobius,s with all three differing lens...

Been real interesting and there is a clear winner...

I am surprised but I like the 0805, and 0806, like the koonlung and like the street storm but the last 2 have silly fetures that I would never use and one in particular "put your lights" on warning is just stupid !

I ran all the images through VLC and yes some are the slightest bit better than others but if you don't mind the nightime "slight orange" of novateck...

for detail and just all around reliability over the years and the best form factor and ability to customise it...

The Mobius makes most sense ..

The mobius is one thing that is leading me to think there gotta be a major change soon for higher end cameras to stand out even more to this little contender, okay there is still a little more gain to be made in design at least for us western ppl that prefer a stealthy camera.
But when it come to IQ and as i see it the important low light performance, then there is quite a fjew cheap cameras that can keep up well with the big names.

The mobius make good sense, it have good daytime footage, and its night footage is just about as bad as any other dashcamera, you cant read the small print at night but with a little light it is easy to tell if it was a old VW golf or a Fiat 127 you allmost ran into.
Granted on a more expensive camera you might be able to better tell the color of that car you allmost ran into last night, i assume the problem is for many ppl is that feature worth 100 dollars.

I know it can be done, and i am really exited to see who it will be that take dashcams to the next level.
And if next level end up beeing like i imagine it to be,well then i am okay with paying more money for that.

would love to have the time to do pictures.. but..;)

At the moment I am taking a look at the 0806 nigel firmware...

And what also stands out for me is the more expensive cameras are no more reliable (if not worse), only give better saturation (colour) straight from the files and are a dam sight harder to get inside and change a battery or
focus a lens.

I also notice the Mobius has a fantastic online settings whatever you call it and it seems pretty clear that people don't go into the colour brightness etc settings and make changes to further enhance its performance ...

I clear that for the last 2 years of the dashcam market hasn't made any great leaps or bounds forward in image quality and has been driven by the customers need to "update" to a perceived something better...

However, for the price of just a mediocre camera you can buy two Mobius and it would be great if they offered a very narrow lens so one could be mounted to grab oncoming numberplates...

Back