Not surprised, 'Motion Detection' appears to be useless

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
Short version......Tried 'Motion detection' in various sensitivity settings, camera kept recording as usual. No movement near the truck.

Long version, picked up a Maxi from my mailbox as I passed through town a few days ago. Not much time to mess with it.
I am delayed for a few days making a delivery, parked overnight for a rare motel stay. (OK area, not expected to have problems)
If I'm in the truck I usually leave the key in accessory position overnight, so the two overhead cams run all night. (the power supply they are on is switched with the ignition)
I also have been running an old mobius on top of the dash, on a non switched power source, kind of 'insurance'. Yesterday when I had time to kill did some camera re-arranging, which included putting a mount for the Maxi at the top of the windshield next to the A119v2.
I don't remember why I disconnected the dash top mobius, maybe to rob the USB cable it was using?

Anyway, took the Maxi into the motel to check the video, adjust the settings.

I thought I left the power to the a119v2 on when parked, (accessory positon on, doors locked, enter with spare key)

Walk out to the truck this morning, cops were in the parking lot, dealing with a pickup truck that had been broken into, parked next to my truck.
I asked if the motel had security video. (Literally in front of the office) They told me yes, but didn't show the license plate of the vehicle who circled the lot breaking into vehicles. (Not mine, I hide anything that remotely looks valuable.)
They also told me the time frame the stuff happened. 'OK, I may have video, let me check'
(They had make/model/color of the suspicious car,, but no plate number, and the area is lit OK)

Pull the a119, nope. It powered down when I parked. Out of habit I usually pull the spare key from the ignition, hide it in the truck. No overnight video. It must be senility, I remember thinking 'I'll leave the a119 running all night) but I must have defaulted to the 'ignition off/hide the key/lock the doors' mode as I got out of the truck. :(

The backup dashtop mobius is proudly staring off into space with no power connection.

The Maxi looks promising. I'll get a capacitor when they are available.

I spent some time messing with cameras. Tried the motion detection on the Maxi. Appears to do nothing. (not surprised)

Here's the 'unmarked' local cops making a return visit to the motel. :) (I assume about the car break ins, did not see dead bodies or blood in the area)
(maxi)

Intially the recorded audio seems good, (set on medium)

I'm hoping the night video will prove adequate, and the maxi turns out to be as reliable as the originals. (I luckily skipped the 'terrible 2')

Thanks, so far the night video seems good.

I have identified further issues with the Motion Detection setting that conflicts with other camera parameters, so a FW update may take a little longer before it's ready.

That's OK. I wasn't expecting much, so wasn't disapointed. The truck was going to be parked overnight where it would have been a good test for motion detection. (for my purposes) Cars and pedestrians would be passing by periodically within 5-30 feet every few minutes. I only do cursory tests for motion detection on cams when I think of it. Out of 20 plus cams, motion detection only worked well enough on 1 cam to bother with.

Updated to the new firmware. Motion detection is working, now.

Sensitivity set at High, timeout at 15 S.

These clips are just the first ten seconds or so after the camera was triggered. It looks like vehicles out to about 300 feet straight ahead will trigger the cam, and one pedestrian maybe 200 feet straight ahead triggered it.

My hopes for any useful motion detection on a cam would be for a long term 'parking' situation where the cam is triggered by pedestrians near the parked vehicle, (Maybe within 20 feet), and also vehicles a little further away. Battery capacity is not an issue on the big truck. Since I'm running the maxi as a second forward facing cam, motion detection could be used full time, and add some capacity to my memory card. (If reliable) Not a priority, but if it's there, and works, why not?

Sensitivity at Medium, camera just records normal 3 minutes clips. (Parked truck, with moderate vehicle traffic 25 feet away, occasional pedestrian traffic within 20 feet.)

Sensitivity at Low, no recordings. (same setting/traffic/distances as above)
Just to make sure it's working at all I waved my hand in front of the mobius, it started recording.

@TonyM Just tried the Motion Detect for the first time with all the different sensitivity and time outs. Wave my hand in front and it starts to record but will not "time out". I have put a Black screen in front of it so there is no movement to keep it recording. Any ideas please?

@TonyM Just tried the Motion Detect for the first time with all the different sensitivity and time outs. Wave my hand in front and it starts to record but will not "time out". I have put a Black screen in front of it so there is no movement to keep it recording. Any ideas please?
Sorry - I don't use Motion Detection. Looking at my previous posts it appears that there were some issues with MD 6 months ago, but I can't remember what they were or whether they were all fixed. I'd have to check back through my old emails. If I think of something I'll come back and respond.

Back