not turning on in the morning

gania13

Reaction score
Country
Israel
hi, i have a problem with the camera, it is in my car as and every morning its not turning on video recording mode but only in charging mode(green light on)
when i get into the car after work(afternoon) the camera records like it should.
i replaced the memory card, tried a different usb power cable. didn't help.

what could be the issue?
thanks.

hi, i have a problem with the camera, it is in my car as and every morning its not turning on video recording mode but only in charging mode(green light on)
when i get into the car after work(afternoon) the camera records like it should.
i replaced the memory card, tried a different usb power cable. didn't help.

what could be the issue?
thanks.
What is the camera make and model? How old is it? The problem is not the SD card or the power cable.

its a mobius.. maybe two-three months old.

My mobius allso have a hickup once in a while, but its still rare somthing in the order of 1 time every 2 months.
Its not really a problem for me as i allways check my rear view mirror to see if its recording, and if its not, then i just unplug the power supply and plug it back in.

Ps. i have the capasitors in my mobius.

what do you think is the source of the problem?
maybe bad battery?

what do you think is the source of the problem?
maybe bad battery?
you're not alone... there seems to be more and more people reporting a issue with the mobius starting under certain conditions.

if you drive for several minutes and unplug then replug in the mobius, does it start up as normal?

question for mobius users, and generally dashcams with no startup sound like eg. A118
do you have to bend your heads behind/under mirror(if it is "hidden" there) to see little flashing orange light everytime you start a car to make sure it is recording?
do you occasionally repeat that check while driving, eg. stop at the light?

i am having hard time picking an ideal dashcam, affter all i've looked at i kind of return to the basic mobius, thinking it is very reliable, but, now i see, no dashcam is indeed completely reliable,

how often do you do those checks?
is it annoying enough to get the A118c instead, which has the startup sound so the initialcheking is not needed

Last edited:
question for mobius users, and generally dashcams with no startup sound like eg. A118
do you have to bend your heads behind/under mirror(if it is "hidden" there) to see little flashing orange light everytime you start a car to make sure it is recording?

i am having hard time picking an ideal dashcam, affter all i've looked at i kind of return to the basic mobius, thinking it is very reliable, but, now i see, no dashcam is indeed completely reliable,
I check mine every once in awhile, just in case.

...i've looked at i kind of return to the basic mobius, thinking it is very reliable, but, now i see, no dashcam is indeed completely reliable

A while ago I saw a current registration Porsche 911 at the roadside being winched onto a low loader. No bodywork damage, so apparently a mechanical or electrical problem.

I didn't conclude that Porsches are unreliable, rather that no matter how much you spend, you're not guaranteed 100% reliability.

I've not had a single problem with either of my Mobius cams, however, some people have an issue, which usually proves to be related to a faulty or counterfeit memory card, or a duff battery, or a faulty car charger or cable, or incorrect GUI setting, or the camera has been dropped onto a hard surface, etc.

The fault is rarely a manufacturing defect within the camera, but it happens sometimes.

I can see my front Mobius above the rear view mirror, & the rear Mobius by looking in the mirror. The winking red rear LED is always visible.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

is it annoying enough to get the A118c instead, which has the startup sound so the initialcheking is not needed

I check all the time. More as a routine, not necessary though. . Mounting Mobius is so versatile, you can mount it so led is visible or move the rear view mirror to see if only to make sure.

It sounds

Your dash cam should work correctly all the time. You really should not have to check to see if your dash cam is working. Mobius makes a very good dash cam and they are generally extremely reliable. It sounds like you have one that is defective. I suggest having them replace it. Mine also has capacitors. It is a Windshield Witness and for over a year it has had no problems.

I've had each model iPhone up until iPhone5, every one of them has been replaced at least once, (some 4 times) it's a $1,000 phone from one of the richest companies in the world and even they aren't exempt from failures

I've had each model iPhone up until iPhone5, every one of them has been replaced at least once, (some 4 times) it's a $1,000 phone from one of the richest companies in the world and even they aren't exempt from failures

Every electronic device out there uses generic (meaning not made just for a specific company) electronic parts. Even a high end electronics part maker will find some of their resistors, transistors, capacitors, or other electronic chips have some defect. When you make 1 million of anything in mass production you will have a few parts that fail. If a company has a 0.1% failure rate for their parts it is a very low and acceptable defect number from a manufacturing perspective. However, that also means that one part in 1,000 will fail. If you happen to buy the product with that one bad part it does not make you feel better about the 999 who did not have that failure.

I bought a 24" led tv with a fault. I returned it. Its replacement which is the same exact model has been fine. An odd failure will happen to every manufacturer out there. That is expected and perhaps accepted. A series of constant failures is a sure sign of bad design and/or quality control.

The mobius has a very large following. It has support groups. If it was commonly known to fail it would quickly lose its popularity and the forums would show that.

Have you checked for the lowest night temps? Your car could get colder than you think it is getting and that could potentially place your mobius under its operating capabilities.

Yes, your mobius is almost certainly defective if you are using it within its acceptable temperature limits. If you are not outside the temp limits I would trade it in for a replacement mobius.

It sounds

Your dash cam should work correctly all the time. You really should not have to check to see if your dash cam is working. Mobius makes a very good dash cam and they are generally extremely reliable. It sounds like you have one that is defective. I suggest having them replace it. Mine also has capacitors. It is a Windshield Witness and for over a year it has had no problems.

old codger, Are you suggesting that users not check their dashcam for operation? And, that paying about $200, for what is arguably an over priced dashcam, the key to reliability?
Seems to me not checking any dashcam, regardless of it having a reliable track record or not, is being careless for a device that might prove to be a key bit of evidence in event of an accident.
Similarly, my old DVR-207 cost me about $50 and, like your $200 dashcam, is manufactured in China, has also worked flawlessly for almost three years. BTW, are you attempting to serve some Koolaid to promote your Windshield Witness?

Last edited:
You gleaned from my post that people should not check their dash cam and that people need to spend $200 to get a reliable one? Talk about reading 100% incorrectly between the lines. If you have to check your dash cam daily to see if it works all the time you have the wrong dash cam. Its that simple. I say windshield witness and you say Kool-Aid? You have issues. Read my post again without your negative attitude if that is even possible. My post stands as is. Mobius makes a very good dash cam and he has a defective one. It happens. Its that simple. No big deal. He should not have to check on it daily. $18 dash cams can work flawlessly also and if your $50 dash cam works flawlessly that is wonderful news. Everyone is happy for you. I am happy for you and your dash cam. Now go take a very long drive and enjoy it because not arguably you need to relax and smell some roses fellah.

The brand or cost of the cam won't matter if it isn't working when you need it to. I run two cams in the windshield of my truck because I have had cams or cards fail, and missed video I wanted. (Luckily not missed any I NEEDED, yet.)

I'd rather be a little cautious (out of habit) then be hopeful and find out later the cam wasn't working when I needed it to.

You gleaned from my post that people should not check their dash cam ... . If you have to check your dash cam daily to see if it works all the time you have the wrong dash cam. Its that simple. I say windshield witness ... .

old codger,
Yes, you did write that checking a dash cam is unnecessary. And, you did imply that, if needing to check, we chose the wrong dash cam.

Perhaps prudent advice for others would be to note the cam's screen, or blinking light, is operable upon startup. And, to periodically check the cam and memory card by looking at a video clip and also to periodically format the card(s).

BTW, do you have a business interest, actual or wannabe, in the Windshield Witness distributorship? Your support related to a particular brand of dash cam is unusual. Such an emotional attachment smacks of guerrilla marketing efforts -- actual or implied.

This thread is getting off topic and we need to get back to the Mobius related questions.

Last edited:
Back