NovaTrakt: Extract GPS data from your Viofo A119 [Windows]

RobTrehy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119
After recently purchasing an A119 I wanted to be able to extract the GPS data from the MP4 files.

I used SergeiF's script initially, but I'm not able to install Python on my work computer, so wanted an alternative.
I am not a professional programmer, but I like to challenge myself.

After a few failed attempts, I had a native Windows application to perform the same action.

You can find further information at my blog post HERE

Or some basic information here;

Compatible with A119 Firmware version 2.0
You require .NET Framework 4.5.2
It has been tested on Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows 10 (64-bit)

Version 2.4 - Release: 30/03/2017
- General bug fixes

PLEASE NOTE: Using with version 1.1. firmware in this version will pull the day of the month from the file name. To use NovaTrakt successfully, please only use the original filenames.
This method was chosen as to not delay the release of version 2.3, so that users with 2.02 firmware can use NovaTrakt.

It has been brought to my attention that NovaTrakt is compatible with VIOFO A119S running version 1.0.1 firmware, and suspect NovaTrakt 2.3 is compatible with A119S running version 1.2 firmware. I do not own an A119S so am unable to test this.

Please Note: There is a bug in version 2.01 firmware preventing NovaTrakt from working with it.

You can download the latest standalone EXE file HERE

If you use the application, please consider donating HERE - If you are unable to use the link, please PM for alternative methods :)

Main-Processing.jpg

Previous Versions:

Version 1.0 - Release 10/01/2017
- Initial Release

Version 2.0 - Release: 20/01/2017
- Input file changed to Input directory
- All code rewritten to improve speed during processing
- Improved logging (stored in NovaTrakt.log file alongside executable)
- Improved general reliability

Version 2.1 - Release: 21/01/2017
- Bug Fixes

Version 2.1.1 - Release: 22/01/2017
- Bug Fix for Coordinates with no decimal point

Version 2.2 - Release: 17/02/2017
- General bug fixes
- Bug fixes for alternate regional settings
- Fixed bug that caused GPX files to contain the previous videos GPS data too
- Improved logging
- Logic improved to speed up processing

Version 2.3 - Release: 03/03/2017
- General bug fixes
- Compatible with A119 new version 2.02 firmware
- Compatible with A119 version 1.1 firmware

Donors:
@Mtz
@viofo
@BCHobbyist
If you do not wish to appear on this list, please let me know.
Thank you! :)

In future versions, I would like to add;
  • Use an input folder, so multiple files can be used at once (DONE)
  • Continuous single output or multiple file output option
  • CSV output option
  • Plus more (let me know your ideas below!)

Last edited:
Great thing!
I've tried to test your app. Does it work only with English DateTime format (year/month/day)? I got exception for my local settings (day/month/year).

Hi,

The time is read from the GPS data and written to the GPX file in 2017-01-12T08:45:59Z format.

Your viewer should then convert that into local format.

Can you post me a screenshot of the error you receive?

Thanks

Your GPS data isn't the same as mine then!

What firmware version are you using on your camera? Forgot to say in the first post, but this is only tested with the latest v2.0 firmware.

I don't have my A119 at hand. And dont' remember as I got it only two days ago. Seems like v1.1.

The date in output mp4 file
2017-01-12_14-29-31.png

hour: 17
min: 11
sec: 40
year: 17
mon: 1
day: 11

Yeah, that looks like previous firmware, which stored the GPS data in a different bit.

I have amended the first post to include firmware compatibility.

I looked for the actual FW on Viofo site. There's v1.1.
Is v2.0 beta?

If you have a sample video you wouldn't mind sending me from the previous firmware, I can see if I can make the software work with that too.

robert@robtrehy.co.uk

Sorry, didn't see your reply. I'm gonna make the test video on week-end.

I've rewritten the code and version 2 is now almost complete.

The major change is the fact the input selection is now a folder and multiple files can be processed at once.
Just in final testing and tweaking, I'd presume ready for release early next week at the latest.

Main-PreRelease.jpg

If someone is able to email me a sample file from pre v2.0 firmware, I can see about adding support. robert@robtrehy.co.uk

This is excellent work! If my A119 and A119S arrive soon will send you short clips for development.

Version 2.0 - Release: 20/01/2017
- Input file changed to Input directory
- All code rewritten to improve speed during processing
- Improved logging (stored in NovaTrakt.log file alongside executable)
- Improved general reliability

Still looking for example clips from previous firmware if someone is able to send me anything. robert@robtrehy.co.uk
Thanks.

you can download samples based on firmware v1.1 here at the end of this review:

https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/viofo-a119-review

for your software I suggest you to choose the open source license, it's better for people to have the possibility of downloading the source code, in order to check the safety of the code, to improve it and add new features,

https://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

you can also put your project on github :

https://github.com/

anyway it's a good thing that someone has finally managed to create this software, I wanted also to create such software but I didn't have the time,

my idea was to create a tool which can also extract gps info, and also to generate map file according to these GPS coordinates, with the library "openstreetmap", I hope I will have the time for this project

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Thank Curtis, I'll take a look at downloading the earlier files and see if I can get them to work too.

I've just released V2.1, which contains a couple of bug fixes.

Hi, I did try the download link, but it still allow me to download the version 2.0 that for me doesn't work (I sent you an email with details yesterday)...
What is the correct link for the ver 2.1?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi,
Please try the link again, the file wasn't activated for download, despite a success message!

Should work now.
Rob

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RobTrehy A119 28
S A119 107
Back