NtkMPE 1.1.2 (Novatek bitrate editor)

Tobi@s

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
none
Attention: Commercial use is strictly prohibited! You are using my tools at your own risk! Modifying firmware will probably void your warranty. I am not responsible for anything that might happen as a result of using my tools.

Changelog:

Fixed a bug regarding issues with 0x0a and 0x0d bytes...
1.1:
Changed name to NtkMPE to avoid possible legal issues
Added Copy and paste functionality to table cells (CTRL+C & CTRL+V)
Improved movie parameter struct detection pattern
Added 5th column for further r&d (read only)
1.0:
Initial release

About this tool:
It allows you to modify movie parameters like width, height, fps and bitrate for different modes without using a hex editor.

Usage: This tool only works with DECOMPRESSED firmware files. You need to decompress these first with bfc or a wrapper for bfc like denova or ntkautomator.
Warning: BFC and its wrappers currently only support single image firmwares. You unpack/repack multi-image firmwares, yet.

(firmware is unpacked at this stage)
1. File -> Load firmware
2. Modify the parameters (Bitrate is half of the target bitrate. Example: Target bitrate of 20mbps requires an input of 10000 (kbps)
3. Press "Apply modifications"

(4. repack and validate using tools like ntkcalc/denova/ntkautomator)

Screenshot:
NtkMPE.png

Little Endian Array Utilities:

Copyright (c) 2007, intarsys consulting GmbH

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

- Neither the name of intarsys nor the names of its contributors may be used
to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific
prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Download: http://dc.p-mc.eu/tools/novatek#ntkmpe

Last edited:
So can you change a 1920 x 1080 mode to 1920 x 540 to get a half height video?

If so, would it chop the top and bottom off just leaving the centre, or just compress it vertically giving a distorted image?

If so, would it chop the top and bottom off just leaving the centre, or just compress it vertically giving a distorted image?
The sensor/cpu doesnt accept all possible resolutions but in theory that would work, yes.
I'm not sure if it would cut the image or stretch it.. Never tried it but feel free to do so :D

there's a dual channel solution in the market that is 2 by 1920 x 540 images muxed into a single 1920 x 1080 output file, the 540 images are effectively cropped so that it's just the middle section of each, chop off the sky, lose the dashboard but have full width

there's a dual channel solution in the market that is 2 by 1920 x 540 images muxed into a single 1920 x 1080 output file, the 540 images are effectively cropped so that it's just the middle section of each, chop off the sky, lose the dashboard but have full width
That is the format I like to watch the Git3 dual action cam in when it is in the car, you don't actually miss much of the action on the road, just the sky and car dash which you don't want anyway.

If I could record in that format, or 2x 540 streams then the memory card would last twice as long for the same quality.

From Git3:

That is the format I like to watch the Git3 dual action cam in when it is in the car, you don't actually miss much of the action on the road, just the sky and car dash which you don't want anyway.

is that just a playback/preview option on the camera?

is that just a playback/preview option on the camera?
No, it's a Windows application that sticks Git3 dual channel loop recording segments back together into a single file. That is why I would like the mini 0906 filenames in "standard format" instead of random order!

No, it's a Windows application that sticks Git3 dual channel loop recording segments back together into a single file. That is why I would like the mini 0906 filenames in "standard format" instead of random order!

ok, know they can be edited that way, misunderstood what you meant by watching when it's in the car

ok, know they can be edited that way, misunderstood what you meant by watching when it's in the car
When it's on the drone the PIP view is preferable, then you need full 1080 16:9 on the front view.

First try doesnt look too promising
vlcsnap-2017-05-20-23h56m54s314.png

First try doesnt look too promising
View attachment 31077
I see that you are lucky enough to have a super widescreen monitor to view it on :D

I suspect it is an issue for Novatek to sort if one of our friendly camera manufacturers would like to give us a 1920 x 540+540 stacked mode on these dual view cameras.

Thanks for trying it :)

Its a bit strange.. Seems like the NT96663 SoC accepts far more resolutions and just stretches the image to fit into it (tried 2048x2048 yesterday and it worked). I remember when trying similar things on NT96655 it just crashed on starting to record

Its a bit strange.. Seems like the NT96663 SoC accepts far more resolutions and just stretches the image to fit into it (tried 2048x2048 yesterday and it worked). I remember when trying similar things on NT96655 it just crashed on starting to record
The NT96663 seems to be far more of an upgrade than just an extra video channel, image quality seems significantly better than any NT96655 I've seen, although that is partly the better sensors being used.

The one thing they don't seem to have sorted is the not so good sharpening algorithm that often destroys detail.

NtkMPE received an update to fix incompatibilities with byte 0x0a and 0x0d and I've also added a new feature to allow cell copy/pasting via ctrl+c and ctrl+v

Thanks for the Tool(s) (y):)

I have the iTracker DC-A119S (Novatek 96660) and was able to change the video bitrate (to the maximum with which the cam works without problems - 29998kbps 28000kbps instead of 19600kbps [original]).
After flashing the cam does not start first. I have to take out the SD card, and delete the firmware file manually. Then it starts, and everything works as usual (only the lowest resolution [640x480] is no longer available in the menu of the camera (however), but[edit: synonymous with the original FW, there is no mode with 640x480] everything else seems to works as with original FW.
And the video quality is much better. Now I can read nearly all the plate signs of oncoming vehicles :)

Last edited:
Then it starts, and everything works as usual
Does the parking mode work? please verify.

What was the bitrate value?
After 15000 kb ......, 119S does not start, the firmware file is deleted.

Last edited:
Does the parking mode work? please verify.

Unfortunately I don't know. If You let me know, how i can use the parking mode with the original FW, i can test it.
(I tried to test the parking mode with original FW, but the cam recoring all the time. Same with the modified FW. Maybe the parking mode of the iTracker DC-A119S is different to Viofo?!)

I have had a mistake in the post before: not 29998kbps... 28000kbps ("14000" in NtkMPE) is working.

The original Bitrate at 1920x1080 60fps is 19600kbps (inNtkMPE "9800") . I changed it to 28000kbps (in NtkMPE = 14000).
If i try 30000kbps (in NtkMPE = 15000) my Cam starts, but does not recording, and i can't do anything.
So the highest working Bitrate is anywhere between 28000kbps and 30000kbps (in NtkMPE 14000 and 15000)

If the cam not start, flash original FW to the cam, before try other modifications.
That worked for me (I've had the problem two times, with some other modification, i tried.)

@meinnameistdas

iTracker DC-A119S is different to Viofo?!)
The firmware is the same.
The original Bitrate at 1920x1080 60fps is 19600kbps (inNtkMPE "9800") . I changed it to 28000kbps (in NtkMPE = 14000).
If i try 30000kbps (in NtkMPE = 15000) my Cam starts, but does not recording, and i can't do anything.
So the highest working Bitrate is anywhere between 28000kbps and 30000kbps (in NtkMPE 14000 and 15000)

The parking mode does not work for 14000, put 13750 or less.

Correctly, above 15000 DVR is started, but not recorded, there may be a limit.

Thank you, I understand you.

Last edited:
parking mode does not work for 14000, put 13750 or less
Now I can confirm it. With 26400kbps (13200 x2) parking mode is working. With 28000kbps (14000 x2) it doesn't work.

there may be a limit
But i don't understand why. In the past [i used 28000kbps] I've had some recordings with a video bitrate up to approx. 43000kBit/s (most at 30000-34000kBit/s).
So the limit should not be by the Hardware. :unsure:

I'll try it the next days/weeks, if 26400kBit/s is good enough for me. Otherwise, I will do without the parking mode and set the bitrate up to 28000 kBit/s and get Videos with 28000-43000kBit/s ;)

Back