OBD HARNESS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it’s me again, bought a thinkware obd harness, hooked it up, light slowly flashes, start car, light stays on, everything works,
Turn off car, light never starts flashing again, ? Left on for 3 hrs so it was filming all the time, camera setup for parking Mode,but never goes into it because power still on full from module, could it be a bad module? Or my pilot is not set for this type OBD PLUG? Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Did you connect the ignition module + dash cam while the ignition was off? How long did you wait after the ignition was off to see if the dash cam will switch into parking mode? The OBD-II cables can take up to 10-15 mins to switch into parking mode once the ignition is off.

Did you connect the ignition module + dash cam while the ignition was off? How long did you wait after the ignition was off to see if the dash cam will switch into parking mode? The OBD-II cables can take up to 10-15 mins to switch into parking mode once the ignition is off.
Yes, waited over 3 hrs, if I turn off camera and plug in module the module starts flashing, turn on camera it’s starts recording after about 2 minutes it goes to parking mode, but you start car it goes out off parking mode like it’s supposed to do, turn off car ,camera never goes back in parking mode, module stays bright!
So maybe bad module? Or car is bad and if it takes 10/15 minutes it recording that long in contention mode,
It’s said that it would take only 3 minutes or less after ignition off? Just today left ignition off for two hours camera still recording?
Thank for reply

Yes, waited over 3 hrs, if I turn off camera and plug in module the module starts flashing, turn on camera it’s starts recording after about 2 minutes it goes to parking mode, but you start car it goes out off parking mode like it’s supposed to do, turn off car ,camera never goes back in parking mode, module stays bright!
So maybe bad module? Or car is bad and if it takes 10/15 minutes it recording that long in contention mode,
It’s said that it would take only 3 minutes or less after ignition off? Just today left ignition off for two hours camera still recording?
Thank for reply
Sounds like there is an issue with the ignition module. Send our support team an email (support@thinkware.com) and they will be happy to replace it for you!

Sounds like there is an issue with the ignition module. Send our support team an email (support@thinkware.com) and they will be happy to replace it for you!
Support team got back with me said it could be the cable or my Honda Pilot to check with them at the dealership ,
Had me send them a copy of my bill of sell , and home address, maybe they are going to replace it they didn’t say one way or the other, has anyone had problems with Honda’s Obd connection? Will go by dealership today see what they say
Thanks

It is the cable, it is not compatible with your vehicle. I have a thread here, happened with my 2016 Subaru Impreza.

They sent me a $10 standard OBD cable as a replacement. I insisted on a ignition module, and made it clear a $10 straight cable is not a reasonable replacement for a $30 bypass cable.

I ended up returning everything for a full refund.

I purchased fuse taps, used the hardwire cable that comes with the camera. My U1000 switches to parking mode after about 15 seconds, as it is designed.

I spoke to multiple technical support persons on my journey. The one that was actually familiar with the product said it could be the ignition module, otherwise it just doesn't work with my vehicle.

It is the cable, it is not compatible with your vehicle. I have a thread here, happened with my 2016 Subaru Impreza.

They sent me a $10 standard OBD cable as a replacement. I insisted on a ignition module, and made it clear a $10 straight cable is not a reasonable replacement for a $30 bypass cable.

I ended up returning everything for a full refund.

I purchased fuse taps, used the hardwire cable that comes with the camera. My U1000 switches to parking mode after about 15 seconds, as it is designed.

I spoke to multiple technical support persons on my journey. The one that was actually familiar with the product said it could be the ignition module, otherwise it just doesn't work with my vehicle.
Yes I think it’s the module, but I guess you just can’t get the module by itself or buy , they send me an email to send the cable harness and module back to them and they would replace it, but still don’t know if it will work with my Honda,
Think they would know which cars and trucks there stuff works on? But I guess not, Think I’ll do what you did just get my money back, and look for something else, would anyone know if the Iroad obd from Blackbox my car will work in my situation? And give me parking Mode.
Thanks

the OBD connector is a standard, the OBD protocol isn't though, there are some variations between vehicle manufacturers
Ok so Thinkware OBD harness won’t work on Honda’s? To give you parking Mode?

Okay Thanks
Still seems like Thinkware would know.
assuming you don't have a faulty product and it is a compatibility issue it's not really the kind of thing they would know until such time as a customer has issues with it and lets them know, I do some OBD based products and sometimes you just don't know until someone tries it, there's no industry reference material that covers all makes and models unfortunately, some things you just find out the hard way

assuming you don't have a faulty product and it is a compatibility issue it's not really the kind of thing they would know until such time as a customer has issues with it and lets them know, I do some OBD based products and sometimes you just don't know until someone tries it, there's no industry reference material that covers all makes and models unfortunately, some things you just find out the hard way
Thanks for the reply

As it a fairly easy product to deal with, and plug in to test, i would give it a spin in a friends car or whatever other car to see if the product are okay or not.
Just a under dash / footwell experiment, not routing or installing anything.

As it a fairly easy product to deal with, and plug in to test, i would give it a spin in a friends car or whatever other car to see if the product are okay or not.
Just a under dash / footwell experiment, not routing or installing anything.
May try that, thanks

Yeah its a fast test, beats sending product off to god know where and wait for days, so if you find it work you can send it back with the words "incompatible with my car" instead of " i think its broken"
And the world need professional users as well as retailers and sellers of whatever.

Yes I think it’s the module, but I guess you just can’t get the module by itself or buy , they send me an email to send the cable harness and module back to them and they would replace it, but still don’t know if it will work with my Honda,
Think they would know which cars and trucks there stuff works on? But I guess not, Think I’ll do what you did just get my money back, and look for something else, would anyone know if the Iroad obd from Blackbox my car will work in my situation? And give me parking Mode.
Thanks
Just checked on your support ticket, they made a mistake when requesting for the whole OBD-II cable. They just sent a follow up email asking to replace just the ignition module. Sorry about that!

Just checked on your support ticket, they made a mistake when requesting for the whole OBD-II cable. They just sent a follow up email asking to replace just the ignition module. Sorry about that!
Yes got that this morning, had it all boxed up took to ups to send but they were closed this morning, so will wait until I find out what’s going on .
Thanks

I was told I would be sent just the ignition module. They sent a entire new cable and ignition module.

As for a standard OBD-II adapter... keep in mind most emissions checks use the port. Service centers utilize the port to run diagnostics. That means you risk damage to the port or the adapter. You might be required to disconnect the cable if the location does not want to risk being accused of damage.

I was told I would be sent just the ignition module. They sent a entire new cable and ignition module.

As for a standard OBD-II adapter... keep in mind most emissions checks use the port. Service centers utilize the port to run diagnostics. That means you risk damage to the port or the adapter. You might be required to disconnect the cable if the location does not want to risk being accused of damage.
Thanks

Back