OBD II cable issue?

Wirebender06

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just installed the 2 CH U1000 using the OBD-ii cable.

I noticed that when i turn the engine off and remove the key, the unit never goes into parking mode, just keeps continuous recording. The light on the ignition module stays solid red.

When I turn the engine off, and leave the key in, the unit goes into parking mode like its supposed to and the module starts flashing.

Anyone know what's going on and how to resolve it?

TIA!

It sounds like the vehicle battery is holding it's charge very well so the Voltage drop when turning the vehicle off is low and the OBD may not be recognising it. I suspect when you turn off and leave the Key in the vehicle other vehicle systems are still 'Live' and dragging the voltage down lower quicker so it works.

That said, i'm not sure what could be done to rectify it?! I think unfortunately it may not be compatible with your vehicle so it may need manually hardwiring.

It sounds like the vehicle battery is holding it's charge very well so the Voltage drop when turning the vehicle off is low and the OBD may not be recognising it. I suspect when you turn off and leave the Key in the vehicle other vehicle systems are still 'Live' and dragging the voltage down lower quicker so it works.

That said, i'm not sure what could be done to rectify it?! I think unfortunately it may not be compatible with your vehicle so it may need manually hardwiring.
Thanks Maddog1974. Your explanation sounds reasonable but would be extremely disappointing since I didn't want to have to go the manual hardwiring route. I'm working with support first to find a fix and hope it doesn't involve hardwiring.

What happens when you turn the key off, let parking mode kick in, then take the key out?

What is the make and model of the vehicle?

What happens when you turn the key off, let parking mode kick in, then take the key out?

What is the make and model of the vehicle?
I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring. When I turn the key off and let parking mode kick in, then take the key out. It stays in parking mode until I restart the car. The expected behavior besides needing to leave the key in for a couple of minutes.

OBD II is a standard for the connector and only a couple of the pins, the protocol though allows for variations at the manufacturers discretion, they don't all do things the same, suspect that the adaptor you have is fine, it will be the car that's the problem in this case

Just to update you all, Thinkware replaced both my U1000 and the OBD cable and now everything is working fine. Not sure what the deal was, but certainly it wasn't the car.

Back