OBD2 Data Overlay

Dash Driver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR900S-2CH
I was wondering if Blackvue dashcams have some kind of obd2 overlay compatibility? I know action cameras have it, but I would love to know if it is possible with a blackvue dashcam.

Rip I guess no one knows.

For anyone else who has this question and finds this thread - I ended up getting a OBDLink MX+ and will log/export data from there (in the OBDLink app) and download my Blackvue videos to my computer.
Then I will use Garmin Virb Edit and sync up the data. Got the idea from Jason Fenske from Engineering Explained in his video
@6:15

Lukas / qvia tried it, vehicle support are flaky, not least if you hope for all readouts.

Steering angle
Brake
Indicators
Throttle %
ASO

Lukas / qvia tried it, vehicle support are flaky, not least if you hope for all readouts.

Steering angle
Brake
Indicators
Throttle %
ASO
Ah damn. Those are dash cams with OBD2 direct readouts?

I'll give this plug a shot and report back when it arrives/when I get time lol. It won't be live, so it will require editing, but thats fine with me.

Yeah. but it seem like ODB are not just OBD to tap into, so to get all of the functions to work you better drive a Korean car, and even then i think it is a carp shoot if all things are supported.
Lukas use to have a list of supported vehicles and which things worked with what.
Lukas also dont do the best of video, they seem adamant on sticking with too low bitrates, so for a fast track environment they will not work good.

You can see here how the info are put in footage, in this case indicators dont seem to work,,,, or are not used.

- I ended up getting a OBDLink MX+ and will log/export data from there (in the OBDLink app) and download my Blackvue videos to my computer.
Then I will use Garmin Virb Edit and sync up the data. ...
A very interesting idea for using the OBDII adapter, dashcam and video editor... What parameters do you plan to impose on the video? It will be interesting to see what happened in the end.
Watching the video reminded of another gadget from GM - the PDR (Performance Data Recorder) on Corvette . There immediately on the video certain parameters are superimposed from various systems of the car.
There is still a solution - is AIM Smarty Cam, which race car drivers use.

And the diagnostic adapter OBDLink MX+ is undoubtedly good and seems to surpass the known ELM327 in parameters.

I have been working on something like that lately...

Video capture: Thinkware F770 (Dual), Mobius Maxi (Dome)
Data logging: Torque Pro using a couple Android devices (Galaxy S9+ and 2019 Galaxy Tab A with S Pen)
OBD2 device: OBDLink LX (Bluetooth).
Video Overlays: Race Render 3 Ultimate (http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html)

Here a short clip, some graphics overlays are redundant as you guys can see, just doing some tests.

Last edited:
Waylens had this too but it didn't work well

A very interesting idea for using the OBDII adapter, dashcam and video editor... What parameters do you plan to impose on the video? It will be interesting to see what happened in the end.
Watching the video reminded of another gadget from GM - the PDR (Performance Data Recorder) on Corvette . There immediately on the video certain parameters are superimposed from various systems of the car.
There is still a solution - is AIM Smarty Cam, which race car drivers use.

And the diagnostic adapter OBDLink MX+ is undoubtedly good and seems to surpass the known ELM327 in parameters.
Hmm that AIM Smarty cam is pretty neat, but for now I just wanted to see if I could get something low cost done. Haha maybe if I get a Radical SR3 race car, I'll get that setup. Thanks for sharing that though, it seems rather promising - all joking aside.

The parameters I wanted would be pretty "simple" stuff, I just wanted: speed; rpm; segment map; engine temp; boost gauge.

I have been working on something like that lately...

Video capture: Thinkware F770 (Dual), Mobius Maxi (Dome)
Data logging: Torque Pro using a couple Android devices (Galaxy S9+ and 2019 Galaxy Tab A with S Pen)
OBD2 device: OBDLink LX (Bluetooth).
Video Overlays: Race Render 3 Ultimate (http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html)

Here a short clip, some graphics overlays are redundant as you guys can see, just doing some tests.

Ah this is nice. I like the rear dashcam + inside cam footage overlay too. Thats pretty neat.

@Dash Driver

Thanks. It's a little hard to sync several videos from different cameras and the tracklog in particular... but with a little patience and time the result is pretty good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 9
Evenstar DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 4
Back