October Timeshift (Winter time)

Arizona has it right by not changing at all. Inconsistent rules are common between states, but not unlike the differences between all countries in the world. Nobody has got it right so far.
Arizona is so far south that it doesn't understand why DST is desirable.

The right way to do it is to have every day during the 1st half of the year 1 minute longer and every day in the second half of the year 1 minute shorter, changing over on mid summers day and mid winters day and passing zero offset at the equinoxes, then you automatically get nearly 1.5 hours DST at mid summer, -1.5 hours DST in at mid winter, everyone's clocks matching all year round and no sudden changes to confuse everyone and every animal.

Reactions: Mtz
Arizona is so far south that it doesn't understand why DST is desirable.

The right way to do it is to have every day during the 1st half of the year 1 minute longer and every day in the second half of the year 1 minute shorter, changing over on mid summers day and mid winters day and passing zero offset at the equinoxes, then you automatically get nearly 1.5 hours DST at mid summer, -1.5 hours DST in at mid winter, everyone's clocks matching all year round and no sudden changes to confuse everyone and every animal.
Nice to hear that you have solved the problem.

All the USA states, or just some of them? They seem to have various inconsistent rules for other things...

Inconsistency IS the rule here :rolleyes:

Phil

All my cameras always run on GMT, zero offset so easy to understand for everyone anywhere on Earth.
Every year (actually twice a year) I consider doing that myself including putting the text "GMT+0" as a plate number. The only reason I don't is if I should ever need the video for legal purposes I'm sure some attorney would use that the confuse the real issue, including claiming the video was from a different date if the incident happened at the right (wrong?) time. :(

I've left all my clocks as they are, come April they'll all be right again, but over winter I'll be sat outside work in the cold for an hour EVERY morning before my shift actually starts

That's what happens when you add "stupid" to "lazy" :D

I've left all my clocks as they are, come April they'll all be right again, but over winter I'll be sat outside work in the cold for an hour EVERY morning before my shift actually starts

That's what happens when you add "stupid" to "lazy" :D
Probably better than showing up an hour late every day if you did it just the opposite. ;)

Probably better than showing up an hour late every day if you did it just the opposite. ;)

That's an idea... I might just try that in summer and see how many days I can go before I get fired :D

a minute a day is just over 6 hours in total for the year so 3 hours either way, don't follow how your system is meant to work o_O

a minute a day is just over 6 hours in total for the year so 3 hours either way, don't follow how your system is meant to work o_O
I've got negative DST for the winter, so it is actually only 1.5 hours DST for midsummer. Actually I think we could have a bit more for mid summer, our current 1 hour is chosen so that it is not too much at Easter time. The -1.5 for Christmas will mean that when we get up in the morning it will be getting light outside whatever time of year it is. We will be getting up when our bodies want to get up instead of when the alarm clock says it is time - much better for our health :)

I vote changing to internet time, where its always 2 minutes to midnight :D

PS. I miss Eddie.

PPS. i have no count on how may times we played this track in the youth club music room in the basement, but i have sweat many liters behind the drums.

The killer for me was 10 years ago when the US moved the beginning two weeks earlier and the end a week later to supposedly save energy. What a load of ...! Almost enough to make me move to Arizona! (Phoenix about the same latitude as Dallas) I hate the changeovers. And I hate it currently being dark until almost 7:30 am. Takes me a couple of weeks especially in the spring to get my circadian clock reset.

I've just realised a problem with my system!

While our days are 1 minute longer in our spring, your days will be 1 minute shorter, which will make a trip across the equator far more interesting than just having to remember to stand the other way up :eek:

The killer for me was 10 years ago when the US moved the beginning two weeks earlier and the end a week later to supposedly save energy. What a load of ...!

Agreed with zeal. I have some older stuff which automatically changes time, but it's on the old system so now it lists the wrong time anyway :love: When I set it manually I have to do that again 2 weeks later so I'm making 4 time changes a year because of the insane idea that there is something to be gained by resetting clocks :rolleyes: Oddly enough my phone (which gets time updates from the cell system) is one of those devices :eek: It cannot be happening but it IS happening- WTF?

Being self-employed where there is not often set working hours makes it easier for me; I go to work when I arrive, put in my hours, then leave. But it's still a PITA because stores, suppliers, and offices I need to deal with are out-of-sync. There's no win to be had here till we leave the clocks alone. They are not broken so let's stop trying to "fix" them :p

Phil

Because I need to find the time to unmount and bring the Mobius cameras inside, hook them up to a pc to sync the time, then remount them again. Might be a job for Monday or Wednesday.
Ah, the advantages of having cameras with a screen. Or the disadvantages of having cameras without one. ;):p:D

Back