ODB conecta to power bank/ power magic

mac782

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I just purchased a couple of Blackvue DR590s, and was pleasantly surprised to be able to connect these via the Conecta ODB rather than having to mess around with the fuse box.

However my wife's car which is a 520, the car detects that there is unusual power drain so parking mode doesn't work for long and she's getting a warning message when she swicthes on the car.

To fix this I'm thinking of buying a power bank and running this off the odb connection - maybe looking at running the Power Magic off it.

Would this ie a good solution or what would people recommend?

Thanks,
-D

I don't think this is a good idea because the OBD port is not meant to supply a lot of power, just enough to run a scan tool

I am currently powering a dual channel off a OBD adapter, this same "hard wire" kit also provide OBD information for the K2S camera. latest FW have RPM in the footage, though i have not verified its function as i use another cable between OBD and camera so the INFO channel are lost to me.
I would rather see brake and indicator INFO in the footage.

But as said charging will probably use a lot more power, so could maybe be dangerous for the OBD port.

Thanks both. ODB seems to be running fine now in both cars. The first day we had a battery warning in the BMW, but nothing since. Seems like ODB is a good solution - even though there are reviews on Amazon that suggest otherwise (for BMW at any rate).

Many modern cars and their far too smart stuff in the electronics, can make dashcam running / installing somewhat problematic, and in cases force you to go all the way to the battery itself.

Wow that's pretty good
Not sure I would trust the connector with that much on a permanent basis, it's designed for just occasionally plugging a test tool in for a few minutes, and the contacts don't look like 4A contacts.

Back